Hearing Aids

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

JERRY THURMOND

Hearing Aids

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

After years of putting it off, I finally had to get a hearing aid.The reason I didn't get one sooner was because all of friends who got one didn't like them, for many different reasons, most there complaints was when they were playing music.Well I have had mine for a week now, played two gigs, an many hrs jamming. Mine works good I can't tell any difference in tone, it has very little, or no clutter. If it wasn't for the fact that I know that it is in my ear, I can't tell that its even there. It cost me $3000 dollars, it is digital, an goes inside the ear canal, so you can't see it. Any body else had these kind of results or am I just lucky. Jerry
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Jerry, The only thing I've had to do is to remember to turn the aids down some to keep from blowing myself away. At first I turned my amp down, but had complaints about not being loud enough. Then I changed the volumn on the aid so it's comfortable and let the amp rip! Good luck with it, shouldn't be a problem at all.
Regaeds,
Roger <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Roger Crawford on 22 January 2002 at 04:31 PM.]</p></FONT>
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Hmmm. Maybe we should all invest in good hearing aids before our hearing is damaged. Just pop 'em in and turn 'em up or down as needed.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Milton Guilbeau

Post by Milton Guilbeau »

If you are a Veteran of the military, you may be eligible for free hearing aids. I received a set a few months ago at no cost except $50 for the testing. These are not digital but are electronically adjustable and fits inside the canal. The manufacturer is Siemens, sub name is Music. Interesting! You can see them on this site. (Note: Not 'Music Digital.') http://www.siemens-hearing.com/index.asp?pgID=0201040100

I don't know if this is available in all states as it's not even available in all of the Louisiana offices. Again, Buck Grantham...if you HEAR me, please comment. You might call your local Veterans Affairs' Office, Audiology Department for information.

An experience I want to share. If you notice distortions while wearing aids, like a speaker problem, amp problem, let someone who has good hearing listen to the alleged distortion. My hard of hearing repair man could not find the problem a few years ago until a friend proved to us that my hearing aids were distorting, not my amp. Hearing aids are never as good as our original equipment, but much better not that 15 years ago!!!

------------------
"One never retires from music, any more than one retires from breathing."
Earl Yarbro

Post by Earl Yarbro »

If you draw 10% disability (Military) you can get your lhearing aids free from VA.

Earl
ZB Custom 11-4
JACK HEERN

Post by JACK HEERN »

Jerry
If you hadn't been so close to Glenn and that dumb sax you wouldn't have needed the hearing aid. Image
I think they call a group of five or more gay musicians Band Aids. is this anything similar ?--Just thought I'd ask. Image Image
jp<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by JACK HEERN on 23 January 2002 at 06:02 PM.]</p></FONT>
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

You could be right Jack, but as we all know a little Jack Daniels, an cure any thing Jerry
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

"Who knows, ear monitors just might prevent hearing aids by preventing hearing loss." Glenn, I really wonder if this is true. In-ears are only so far away from the eardrum, leaving very little breathing room. A studio owner friend of mine got fitted for earplugs and the audiologist wasn't too positive about the effects of these. Probably good to hear some "feedback" from some ENT research.
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

John,

The damage to ears done by sound is significantly reliant on the decibel level of the sound. The higher the decibel level the higher the sound wave pressure. Sound wave pressure is one of the most damaging factors to the scillia (minute hairs) that line the inner ear. It is quite possible to have the decibel level high enough with in-ear monitors to cause damage to hearing. However, the situation I described previously is low volume listening. Comparable to listening to a home stereo system with earbuds. I would venture to say in the situation that I use in-ear monitors, my personal decibel level is probably in a range comparable to 60 - 65 decibels of ambient room sound. About the decibel level of the more modern quiet home appliances such as "quiet" dishwashers. In other words, when used properly, the sound level experienced with in-ear monitors is about the same as a totally acoustic performance. That is to say, without amplification.

I highly recommend in-ear monitors to any band wanting to improve their performance sound and lower performance sound levels. Image

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Glenn,
We are doing research on "in ear" monitors for our Church. What brand is your band using? It seems that about everything available has built-in limiting to soften all the transients that occur in a system. Have you had any experience with this happening?
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Howdy Darvin!

The brand we're using is the Shure model PSM 400. The fiddle player, drummer and I are all using the "hardwired" version which has a pair of XLR cables coming out from the belt pack. Kevin and our bass player are each using the "wireless" version. The PSM 400 allows two-channel mono input of all signals; stereo; and one signal in one channel (yourself) and anything else in the second channel. Everyone is using the Shure model E1 earbuds. These are single-element rated at 29 ohms.

As I mentioned previously, we're running from our D-boxes and drum mics to splitters. The splitters go into the main system snake and into the monitor mixing board. That way our on-stage monitor mix is totally independent from the main mix. We're using an Allen & Heath board for the monitor mix and each band member can custom tailor his mix of every D-box and mic on stage. When the mix is set it stays that way from gig to gig until a change is called for.

The result, at first, almost feels sterile like a studio session. But once you get used to being able to hear everything in total balance and clarity you'll never want to play without 'em again. With this system you'll be able to hear every sound created on stage. I can hear my finger picks "click" on the strings when I pick. Because of that level of audio sensitivity and the fact that stage sound levels are no longer too loud, band mistakes in performance (i.e.) intonation, sloppiness, etc. all disappear.

About the transients, because we're using all D-boxes except for the acoustic instruments (drums and fiddle), the input levels are all pretty balanced and flat. I don't ever recall any transient problems. Even in the beginning.

Try 'em you'll like 'em! Image

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
www.kevinfowler.com
Peter Ivory

Post by Peter Ivory »

I'm an audiologist by career (and former university professor) and a beginning player. The Forum and all the comments have been helpful to me, and so, I figure it's "pay-back" time on my side.

(I have no commercial connection to any hearing aid manufacturer or to any hearing aid distributor).

Some things to consider about hearing aids.

1. The majority of hearing aids built in the US are 100% custom made. The circuity is built into an acrylic shell made from an impression of the outer ear/outer part of the ear canal. So, one decision about hearing aids is size: full shell (in bowl of outer ear) to "completely-in-canal" (which sometime are, sometimes not...depends on the individual's anatomy). In Europe, they still favor the "behind-the-ear" type which has to be coupled with a custom earmold to deliver the sound the the ear canal.

Second decision is level of technology:
(a) from hard-wired (but adjustable) to digitally progammable and (b) type of processing--from analog to digital processors. There are circuits available that have some of the characteristics of each. There is a lot of confusion about differences between the traditional analog vs. the digital processors. The primary electronic advantage (IMHO)of the digital processors is the speed and frequency selectivity of compression triggers. Analog type hearing aids have always had compression circuits; the digital processors are just better...thousands of dollars better, I'm not convinced...there are no compelling studies in my professsional literature yet that state convincingly that digital processors are that much better. Still, they have another advantage which I like for a first time user, and that is, they operate automatically (no volume control...analog aids have volume controls).

Critical Pieces of Advice:
1. If you have adult-onset, primarily higher frequency (in the 1000 to 6000 Hz range)hearing loss in BOTH ears, you will do best with a binaural fitting (this is not a con job...there are several acoustic advantages to binaural fitting).

2. Hearing aid sales are regulated by the FDA which allows the purchaser of a hearing aid to have a 30 day trial with return right, money back (different states interpret this in different ways; California law is very strict on ALL money to be returned...no "fitting fee" or other hold-backs allowed). So, if you're unsure about whether a hearing aid is right for you, remember you have the 30 day trial period.

3. Find a hearing aid professional who is well recommended by others and who seems willing to spend time with you, both to explain your options and for follow-up.

4. Ask whether you will get a "real-ear" test using an ear canal microphone (this displays the aided, actual ear canal response of the aid on a computer screen and permits accurate settings and adjustments).

5. Hearing aids are not perfect devices. Remember also, that the bias in setting a hearing aid response is to make speech more audible (not music). Also, there are several organic aspects of an individual's hearing loss that affects the quality of the fitting.
Some people will do better than others.

6. Finally, don't delay. Most of the people who could benefit from using hearing aids wait three to five years before they obtain hearing aids. This is unfortunate because your friends and family have to put up with you and it's a lot more work, inconvenience and potential embarrassment for all.

Hope this has been helpful.
Feel free to email me if you have a question:
ivorypeter@aol.com

Peter

PS In June 2001, the VA opened up the hearing aid benefit to all WWII (VA eligible) veterans. It used to be that you had to be either service connected for hearing loss or were 50% SC-disabled to qualify. SO, if you served in WWII, you are eligible..check with the Audiology service at the VA medical center in your area.
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

Peter You are right, I found out most of what you said by asking questions. One thing I would like to add to my thread above. Because of modern tec, my Dr. was able to come to my house, with a small computer that hooks up to my hearing aid while it is in my ear, an adjust it while I was playing my steel guitar,to set the compression, so there was no distortion.It works good Jerry
Milton Guilbeau

Post by Milton Guilbeau »

My 2 cents. If you have a hearing loss, I would highly recommend that you read the above by Peter Ivory, Audiologist. This message explains, especially for musicians, the actual facts about our various situations.

Speaking from experience, my ‘PAIR’ of hearing aids I received from the VA last June are the best I’ve had, far better than my first and second aids. I am completely ‘In-Tune’ with Peter’s post. So if you are a veteran, you should check and double check, it is very likely that you qualify.

We are fortunate to have experts like Peter to offer this kind of professional information to our SG community. Many thanks to him and the SG Forum for this great service. Also, thanks to Jerry Thurmond for bringing this subject ‘front n’ center’ and telling us about your ‘house call’ experience.

------------------
"One never retires from music, any more than one retires from breathing."
Chad Smith

Post by Chad Smith »

Glenn,

Our band is using the exact same setup as you described, and I have to agree 100% with your comments and observations. One thing to add to it from proir experience. A few years ago, in my former band (back on the east coast) I tried a set of "entry level" Nady in-ear monitors. Although they worked wonderfully, the sound quality was nowhere near the quality and clarity of the Shure units my current band is using. It just goes to show.....you get what you pay for!!

------------------
Chad Smith
GFI S-10 3+4