Quiz: Who is this pedal steel guitarist?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Ernie... you're a cheater! (of course I tried the exact same thing, but he beat me to it).
Carl West

Post by Carl West »

Maybe . . it's jIm b0b ?
Harold Dye

Post by Harold Dye »

I feel sure it is either Shirly Temple or Al Gore...not sure which
Dave Robbins

Post by Dave Robbins »

It's not Buddy's hands, it's not Buddy's Sierra, and his right hand is too close to the pickup. Besides, there "ain't" no jewelry!

Dave
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Here is a place to go for a better picture of him.

http://www.rvi.net/~aldg/aldg's%20music%20photos/Local%20Musicians/Jim,%20Guitarist,%20etc./Jim%20playing%20Sierra%20PSG_1.JPG

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

Carl: Nope, it's not me. I have never played a Sierra in my life. Also this guy is much better looking. Image
Pete Mitchell

Post by Pete Mitchell »

Those are Jimmy Day's chops. .....Pete
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Some of you were real close!! No one knew about Jimmy Day's illegitimate son.
Al Gershen

Post by Al Gershen »

Hi SGF:

It's a wrap! Image

The steel guitarist is my good friend, Jim Coward from Central Point, Oregon, playing his Sierra steel guitar.

Jim is a long time friend of mine and he's mainly a lead guitarist (in the style of Chet Atkins) and country singer.

I'm glad everyone seemed to have a good "sense of humor" with this one.

I find it very interesting that by looking at the way a player has his hands, fingers, etc., you are able to make a very educated guess who the player is...in this case, many thought it was Buddy Emmons I assume because Buddy plays a Sierra pedal steel guitar at times.

Sorry for the trickery.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,
Al Gershen

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Al Gershen on 17 November 2001 at 06:55 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Al Gershen on 18 November 2001 at 01:49 AM.]</p></FONT>
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Al - I also enjoyed looking at all of your other pictures. Jim's has some great looking instruments!

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Al Gershen

Post by Al Gershen »

Hi Jim Baucum and SGF members:

Your's right, Jim Coward does have some very good gear.

He's retired and I admire him because he's always buying new things (effects, guitars, amps) to help him improve his sound musically. He even sold me his Peavey Vegas 400 amp to replace my Fender Twin-Reverb (I sold it because as I got older, it got heavier...expecially with those JBLs) amp.

At one time I believe he actually sold pedal steel guitars to music stores as a manufacturer's representative from Sierra steel guitars. This is many years ago and it's probably the seed that created Jim's almost lifelong interest in the pedal steel guitar.

I've never heard him play pedal steel guitar at a gig (I've personally played steel accompanying him while he played lead guitar and sang country music) but occasionally when I visit him at his home (his steel is always set up), he'll crank it up and play a few tunes. He even lets me try it, too. Image

Here's a link to some other photos I took of my good friend, Jim Coward:

http://www.rvi.net/~aldg/aldg's%20music%20photos/Local%20Musicians/Jim,%20Guitarist,%20etc./

To me people like Jim Coward respresent the "silent majority of the steel guitar world; they don't play weekends but they have a strong interest in the instrument such that it's a very important part of their life.

It really isn't important if these people are good or not on the instrument. It's their dedication that I admire.

I look at myself: I play a gig every Saturday night with a 5 piece country band in the City of Rogue River and at home at other times, I never practice the instrument. Yet, I consider myself a very dedicated steel guitarist, in a certain sense.

Well enought of this. I put Jim's photo under this special subject thread to have a little fun with other SGF members and I believe it worked.

"No harm and no foul."

Jim's not on the Internet (he has a computer but it's not online) but the next time I visit him, I'll take my HP 620LX handheld personal computer and show him this subject thread. I believe that he'll enjoy it.

Regards,
Al Gershen

ps: I'm killing time waiting for the meteorites to show up here in southern Oregon. It's almost 1:40 AM PST. Image
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

That was fun. Thanks Al.

I'd like to see more quizes like this, ID the player by the hands/gear.

OK I'll go next:
If no one gets it in two days, I'll post hints.

-j0ey-
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

My guess,someone trying to copy Paul Franklins hand stance?Heck I'll just guess and say Paul Franklin Jr. Never seen that guitar though.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 18 November 2001 at 07:59 PM.]</p></FONT>
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

No, not PF.
This Canadian player has performed at the 2000 PSGA and 2001 ISGC and has recording and producing credits.

Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Bob Taillefer?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 19 November 2001 at 10:12 AM.]</p></FONT>
ebb

Post by ebb »

definitely Taillefer<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by ebb on 19 November 2001 at 03:31 PM.]</p></FONT>
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

Either Al Briscoe or Dennis Manuel.Naw, it can't be Dennis, he wears gloves when he does outdoor gigs this time 0 year. Image

------------------
"Steel is the real deal"

Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

ebb Wins!!!
Bobby said it first, but we have to accept his first reply. Image

See the full picture at <A HREF="http://www.steelguitarcanada.com/album4.htm" TARGET=_blank> Al Brisco's Photo album.
</A>

Bob produced and played on the Northern Steel CD, and much more.

------------------
-j0ey-
www.pedalsteel.tv

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 19 November 2001 at 05:56 PM.]</p></FONT>
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Here's another.

Unique, eh? This guy's not Canadian.

-j0ey-

Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

No takers??

Hint One: Mullen Guitar
Hint Two: Photo taken Main Stage ISGC 1999