Smiley Roberts, the PRO!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Weirauch

Smiley Roberts, the PRO!

Post by Mike Weirauch »

I have never learned what constitutes a PRO but but whatever does, Smiley Roberts certainly fills the category. I had the distinct pleasure of sitting between him and Bob Knight tonight at the Bell Cove Super Jam and was just totally blown away by his playing, his style and his execution. Besides being one of my closest friends, he is a showman who gives his very best on everything that he does. His versions of "I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You" and "I Can't Stop Loving You" were indescribable as he jazzed and blued both songs up with big fat chords that are usually only found on the C6th and Smiley plays an S-10. He played his Sho~Bud Pro 1 and the tone was great and he sounded just magnificent! Damn, I'm running out of adjectives!!! He played an old Pete Drake song, "I'm Just A Guitar, Everybody Picks On Me" and used a talk box and it came out reminiscent of Pete's recording of the song some 35 years ago. The evening was absolutely great with Lloyd Green, Tommy White & Johnny Cox on the second set and Larry Dolan and Will Van Hoy on the last set but to me, the night belonged to Smiley. He not only went on and "broke a leg", he sprained both ankles too! The entire first set was dedicated to Smiley and all of his #1 hit singles that he wrote and played on over the years! Image It was a short set but we had fun doing it!!! Image
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Mike,,,, I couldnt agree with you more.

Smiley is all you say as a player and a wonderful human being as well.

I couldnt have said it better,,,,,"longer" yes....but not better than you,,,Iam thankful
and happy to regard him as a "true friend".

I could NOT resist posting this.
Bill Crook

Post by Bill Crook »

Is this Smiley trying to be Mike or Mike trying to be Smiley ???

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/379cb935/bc/51.jpg?bcWgFx7AKj632myq

Either case, Great playing by Smiley, Mike and Bob.

BTY: More photos of the SuperJam can be seen at: http://photos.yahoo.com/crookwf

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 10 October 2001 at 07:18 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

Another hilight from last night that I forgot to post after driving 200 miles and getting home at 3 AM was Johnny Cox playing Lloyd Greens guitar and sounding like Lloyd and then jumping to Tommy White's guitar and playing like Tommy. Their set was so refreshing to listen to and so disappointing when it was over. They are all truly masters of the steel guitar.
Latina

Post by Latina »

Last night's Superjam was indeed spectacular. Lloyd Green, Tommy White, Johnny Cox, Larry Dolan, Will Van Hoy and Bob Knight gave outstanding performances. However, the night did belong to Smiley. He truly outdid himself. That was some of the best playing I have ever had the privilege of listening to by the Smilester.

Smiley,
You truly are one of the underrated players who possesses a great talent.

Love ya man Image
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

I can't belive I'm clicking on pictures of guys i have met or seen often on the Opry.
By the way Mr W how dod you do with your Kristofferson number ?

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

What Kristofferson number? Smiley and I had almost worked up Country Roads and For the Good Times but ran out of time to do either but we never had a Kristofferson number worked up that I remember. By the way, Country Roads is Smiley's most favorite song in the world and John Denver is his most favorite singer ever!!!!!!! Image
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

I have to agree with Smiley on John Denver.
Why was he so trashed? I think the guy is/was
great...just as I'm referred to at times, he "wore his heart on his sleeve"......his songs and singing are/were HONEST. I never ever
get sick of Country Roads...especially when I may not be feeling so hot.........put this tune on, and WOW.......man, I want to move to West Virginia.

Smiley I re-met a couple of years ago over at Sammy Gibson's house. Smiley used to play the Western Massachusetts country circuit years ago, and at this time was just 'in town' for a few days and stopped in to see his old-time pal, Sammy, to have a few 'tweaks' done to his steel. Sammy is not only an amazing machinist [makes some parts for Fessenden Guitars], but is a tremendous steeler; and one of only a handful who really knows how to play with MIDI.
Smiley is one truly gifted cat. He is witty.
He says nothing for long stretches, always absorbing, and then will come out with something that just floors you.
While we were all sittin' around, and Sammy kept tweaking, and Smiley was trying this and that out, I caught some of his STUFF. Just him doodling around in Sammy's shop knocked me out. And yes, he plays an E9th, but you would never know it by listening.

Hats off to Smiley.

Chip
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Mike you might want to look up who wrote
For the Good Times LOL

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Gary Harris

Post by Gary Harris »

It was really hard to drive four miles to see this show. Every player put all he had in his performance and I loved it. Smiley Roberts, "I'm Just A Guitar" really pleased me. What a show stopper. Isn't it wonderful that men will share their talents and play as if they were being paid a million dollars. God bless them.
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

<SMALL>Mike you might want to look up who wrote For the Good Times </SMALL>
Janice, last nights songs were all the number one hit singles that SMILEY wrote. Who's this Kristofferson guy! Image
Jeff Peterson

Post by Jeff Peterson »

I gotta' say, Smiley had tone to the bone. All there were playing so great...Lloyd was burnin' stuff I'd never heard before...Johnny just quietly smokes the room....Tommy is the standard being set that will make it tough for all of us to get a gig. Mike.....uh....Mike....mmm....Mike had some of the best gear on stage, his wife is beautiful and sweet in spite of him, he dresses nice, his son is a hoot, boy, I could just go on and on!
Ya'll know I'm kiddin'....Mike did a fine, fine job and that's the whole point of this club.....I think. And Mike, for me, you had every bit of my attention split 3 ways with you, Smiley, and Bob and I completely enjoyed myself. Again, everybody played great, and for anyone who can't make these shows.....kick yourself! At 5 bucks a pop, there ain't no better time anywhere.
If all that weren't enough, you have Jimmy Crawford, Russ Hicks, Stu Basore, John Hughey, David Spires, Chad Udeen, and a bunch others I couldn't see through the fog giving their 'blow by blow' commentary of the show.......needless to say, it's fun city out there.
There will be another one(SuperJam), in roughly 3 months, if there's any way you can make it, no matter where you live, you will never have a better time or have a better chance to talk to all these Hall of Fame players.
By the way, whoever put that guitar together for Smiley, should be knighted...and not by Mike Wierauch's idea of a 'queen'! peace........Jeff<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jeff Peterson on 10 October 2001 at 10:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Crook

Post by Bill Crook »

I may be wrong about this but.....

Bobbe Seymour did the Pedal Steel for Smiley.
(long story here) If I have this wrong, Smiley, Please set the record stright.

It was a Show-stopper with Smiley's version of "I'm just a Guitar"

My friend,Mike W,who layed back far beyond his playing abilities,showed his real professional stuff by spear-headin' a tribute to Smiley. These three guys (Smiley,Mike,and Bob Knight) kicked off a night to be remembered.

All three sets were just the best of what a Steel SuperJam should be. I think we have the definative answer to a what a Steel Players club should be. We have the amature (Non-professional)players that often rival the Pros,Play along side the Pros,and,(This is the part I love the most)we get to hob-knob with the Pros. These guys are the best period !!!! They are the most down to earth folks. To be in the crowd, you wouldn't notice them at all unless you were lookin' for them. They simply come to hear the others play simply due to the love of the Steel Guitar.

It was most enlightin' to see Hal Rugg among the crowd of listners again. While he didn't play for this SuperJam, I noticed his total enjoyment of the show as it unfolded. I look forward to hearing him play again on one of our up-comming SuperJams.

A great job by all involved. I must also thank Joan and Johnny Cox for puttin' this show together for us. Most of us (amatures)have no idea of whats involved in doing this. Takeing the time to do this for us shows the commentment by people who love this business and the Pedal Steel Guitar.
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>I may be wrong about this but.....
Bobbe Seymour did the Pedal Steel for Smiley.

</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry Bill, Jeff Peterson redid it and set it up for Smiley then Bobbe presented it to Smiley!
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Mike,Wrong,-------kinda,
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

<SMALL>Mike,Wrong,-------kinda,</SMALL>
No I'm not! You never shut up talking long enough to work, besides, I wanted to brag on Jeff who has to stay tucked away in the back of the shop!
Jeff Peterson

Post by Jeff Peterson »

Everything we do in the shop is a cooperative effort.....I work, Bobbe gets credit. Just kidding. We both carry the load. Bobbe has the experience, I pick his brain and usually learn something new every day(not always steel-related). I've worked hard to gain his trust and respect, and the fact that he has had me rebuild his own personal guitars makes me feel pretty good about my ability as a mechanic. I really enjoy it, if I'm not on tour playing steel.....I'll be working on them.
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Man,I'm not any good at makin' long speeches,(or short ones either) but I just wanna thank everyone who posted, for their nice comments,ESPECIALLY,my pal,Mike Weirauch for starting this thread.
(maybe,I'll hire,my pal,Jody Carver, as my official speech writer.) Image Image

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-</pre></font>

Bill Sharpe

Post by Bill Sharpe »

Smiley:

I agree, Jody is an excellent choice, as he tells it like it is. Needless to say after the previous posts, your tone, and sound blew a lot of socks down, even those who weren't wearing sox. Image Professional 110%. Now...........when are you gonna' show me some of those licks? Image

Bill

------------------
B#

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Hey ; Image I knew all this years ago but no-body listened to me ImageAfter some over 40 years of sitting on his keaster and making a living at doing only what he loved to do and always there as a friend with that quick wit that cheers one up immediately,I'd say that he is HOF material. Now watch once again no one is listening to me. Image

------------------
CJC