DE-NO Music

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Mortensen

DE-NO Music

Post by Tom Mortensen »

I have bought my steel guitars from the same dealer since I was 12 years old.
De-No's Music Center in Casa Grande, Arizona.
Dennis Kirkland is the owner and is the best friend a steeler or musician could have.
When I was 12 years old he shipped a brand new MSA, 200 miles on a Greyhound bus, just for me to try out. I think he knew I would have to buy it, and I did.
Also, he always would let me try a new guitar out at the gig to see if I liked it.

I wonder how many of you know him.

------------------
Visit My Website
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

Tom...I am fortunate enough to live in Casa Grande, AZ, and know both Dennis and Noel quite well. They are truly gentlemen and they are the only store around that even stocks steel guitars, or knows anything about them. Just try going to a music store in Phoenix or Tucson, ask for a steel guitar, and they will direct you to DENOs in Casa Grande. They are great.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Where the Sun Always Shines
Bob Allen

Post by Bob Allen »

Hi Tom I've been down to De-no's a few times myself as a matter of fact I bought my Mullen D-10 from their. and recieved service and excellent dealings from those folks. Bill Eaton is right. You can't go anyplace else in the Valley and buy or look at Steel guitars. The last time I was there He had then all over the Showroom floor. Don't Know you personnally Tom But I have a friend that told me about you (J.J.Jones Bass player) Bob
Tom Mortensen

Post by Tom Mortensen »

Dennis is a steel player himself.
I remember one important piece of advice that he gave me as a youngster...

"Just make sure you get all your pickin' and ramblin' done before you go and get married".

To this day that quote sometimes haunts me. Image

------------------
Visit My Website

Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

As I stated In another post, I also bought my steel from Dennis at DE-NO Music. He told how the name of his store came about. The DE is for his son Dennis and NO is Noel.

Dennis plays lead guitar for "The Jeff Dayton Band". They open for Glen Cambell when he's on the road, then back him up while he sings and shows off on the guitar. I first met Jeff at an Arizona Songwriters Meeting.

Bob Carlson

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 30 September 2001 at 10:33 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tom Mortensen

Post by Tom Mortensen »

Bob,
Actually, Noel,(not Dennis) played with Glenn Cambell and Jeff Dayton. I talked to Noel a couple of days ago and it sounds like he his staying home and taking care of the store in Casa Grande.
Jeff Dayton has moved to Nashville a year ago and is working with Glenn's publishing company and keeping Glenn's backup band going. All a bunch of Phoenix boys.

------------------
Visit My Website

Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

I was close. This was back In Dec 1997 that he told me these things. Sorry.

Bob Carlson.
billr

Post by billr »

Dennis sold me an Emmons Lashley LeGrande II. It's a beautiful guitar and was well worth the wait (4 mos). Dennis responded quickly when I needed some E-ring clips for the guitar. I enjoy visiting his store for pedal steel accessories.

Bill Rasmussen
Amado, AZ
Miguel e Smith

Post by Miguel e Smith »

I met Dennis once at a gig I was doing with Noel. Nice guy and he invited me to come over the store sometime...I still want to. Noel has been a blast to work with the dozen or so times he and I worked at the same time with Jeff's band. Extremely talented guitar player, keyboardist and singer. Haven't bought anything there yet, but Noel has given me some good quotes and is very informative. I'd recommend them.

Mike P.S.; Hi Tom