Firefox Honeymoon is over

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Jack Stoner

Firefox Honeymoon is over

Post by Jack Stoner »

Here is an article, from Win XP News, and link to another article that details Firefox vulnerabilities. Those that primarily use Firefox should read this:

Firefox: Honeymoon Over?

We've said before that the primary security advantage Firefox had over Internet Explorer was the fact that it was used by only a fraction of the computer using population. This made it a less attractive target for hackers - why waste your time and effort writing exploits for a program that would only affect a small percentage of users, when your IE exploits would reach so many more? This is called, in the IT security biz, security through obscurity. And contrary to popular belief, it works - for a while. The problem is that obscurity tends not to last. As more and more people have switched to Firefox for its security advantage, its own growing popularity has made it more of a target. Now, according to security expert George Ou, the tipping point has been reached: Firefox now has more vulnerabilities per month than IE. Read George's blog article on this at http://www.wxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=050920TI-Firefox
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Jack, that doesn't surprise me at all I figured it was just a matter of time. Our only hope is that Mozilla keeps a better eye on their vulnerabilities and attacks against them than Microsoft has.

I'm just about 2 cents away from firing up a Linux box or go back to using my G-4 for on line surfing. I've been using my G-4 just for recording due to the fact that's it's a little slower surfing than my Windows machine is but not much I'm just pretty anal when it comes to speed.

Yep folks I actually said that XP was faster than OS 10.2 but only in regards to surfing :-)

Bob
James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

Big Bob,
I had a PC built for me recently, as it was the only platform GigaStudio runs on ...It was the first PC that I have had to deal with .....When I had programs that I had to connect to the internet to register, I HAD to put it online for short while ....I was totally nuts when I saw all the pop up's , and all the crap that came on my screen when I went onto the internet ....WOW !! to say the least !!.... If my Mac is slower on the internet , than so be it !!.....I don't have to download and fill my computer full of ANTI this and ANTI that programs to have a smooth journey on the internet ... I'm not starting a PC / Mac war here as there are things I like about both platforms.... I also like the price of PC , but for the internet, I'll keep my Mac thanks.......Jim
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

My Windows XP (Pro) OS with I.E. 6 has a very effective pop up stopper built in. Since it's a Microsoft supplied product it's complety integrated into I.E.

In fact, the Mickeysoft Pop up stopper blocks more than Norton or ZoneAlarm pop up stoppers.
Frank Lombard

Post by Frank Lombard »

My advice, download the new free version of Opera http://www.opera.com/free/ I have been using Opera for 7 years and have never had a vulnerability problem. Earlier versons were a bit "Techie" orientated but the latest version is more user friendly for the not so "techie" user.
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Downloaded the free Opera last night and was pleasently surprised by how much more userfirendly it had become. Last time I checked I didn't like it at all, but this was much better. Think I'll give it a chance and see how it works (after all, it's Norwegian.. Image )

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

I mentioned Opera in another thread many months ago when Firefox was being discussed and no one was interested. Personally I like it better than Firefox and even the free version with the banner in the upper right isn't that annoying.

edit: Just downloaded the newer version, I didn't know about it... they took out the banner and it's still free!

I suppose next then, Opera gets popular and then the scum direct their viruses towards it...<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 21 September 2005 at 03:53 PM.]</p></FONT>
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

<SMALL>I suppose next then, Opera gets popular and then the scum direct their viruses towards it...</SMALL>
That is exactly what is going to happen! Opera had better have a good team ready to fix bugs and vulnerabilities, in a hurry.

BTW: I downloaded the new free version to have a look at my own websites, and found that it messes up some of my absolutely positioned elements, elements that render perfectly in IE 6 and FF 1.06.

Wiz
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Wiz, I had to modify my web site to accomodate Firefox. My site was generated using Frontpage 2000 and FP extendsion. Some of the items would not appear or appear correctly with firefox and I had to modify them so firefox would display them.

I also notice my RoadRunner home page is obviously designed for I.E., as there are some rollovers and a couple of other functions on the web page that firefox does not display or display properly. I downloaded the new free Opera and it appears to fully support the microsoft/frontpage items.

At least, now, with three browsers it will allow me to verify my web site's compatibility with various browsers. I guess I should get Netscape too so I can check the compatibility with it too.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

James Q., it seems that Microsoft is full of holes by design. Otherwise it wouldn't be so popular with the government.
IMHP(paranoid)O

Opera looks good.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Charlie McDonald on 22 September 2005 at 05:09 AM.]</p></FONT>
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Jack;
Don't bother with Netscape. It is a combination of Firefox and IE. If sites display properly in the major browsers you have no need to clutter up your system with minor players. Besides, Netscape suffers from the same vulnerabilites as IE, and needs to be patched separately. Just more headaches, in my opinion.

To be fair, I did try the new Netscape, but it caused system instability and I uninstalled it, for good.