Problems with pop ups

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Bill Myrick

Problems with pop ups

Post by Bill Myrick »

The last couple of weeks I have been swamped with pop up ads when on the internet. I can be on the forum with nothing else open and they still come. Any suggestions for this ??? Thanks.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Run Ad-Aware to cull out the tracking cookies, then install Google's toolbar. It has a great pop-up blocker.
Peter Timaratz

Post by Peter Timaratz »

PopUpCop is the best software I've found for dealing with pop ups. A lot of software that tries to solve the problem requires constant input from you on each new site you visit. PopUpCop is smart enough to figure it out by itself. It's not free though.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I'll second the Google thing. The popup blocker works as advertised, it's free, and the toolbar has some value as a search utility if you tend to google anything and everything that pops into your head.
Leon Grizzard

Post by Leon Grizzard »

I use a free program, pop up stopper, that works well.
Lou[NE]

Post by Lou[NE] »

Ditto what Leon said - PopUpStopper is available from www.panicware.com and has worked well for me.
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I downloaded a program called spy ferret but it hasn't helped so far. I'll download one of the programs mentioned here and also install google tool bar and see what happens. I like google as a search engine any way. - Image
Charles French

Post by Charles French »

Google toolbar is working for me. I've had it for 1 month abd it says its blocked 5359 pop-ups. Ocassionally one will slip through.

cf
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Bah, humbug. I downloaded spybot, which actually caught a half dozen old things, but slowed down my old p2 and dsl to less than half speed on internet, and popup stopper which stopped every thing cold in it's tracks.

Pop ups take only seconds to delete manually. It's not worth waiting the time it takes a software pop up deleter to bring the site up.

Most sites are on screen in seconds, some less than one second. It just ain't worth it to me.

Edit: After posting this I went from here to Fox news (on screen) in 3.5 seconds. Yesss. The speed is back. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ken Lang on 27 January 2004 at 07:29 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

I was covered up with popups to the point that they would even interrupt while I was typing a URL....and then I'd have to clear them before continuing.

I recently received a notice from COX that they are offering a free pop-up blocker to their subscribers. I installed it this morning, CHECK IT 86, and I have not received a single pop-up since! (fingers crossed)

It is a product of SmithMicroSoftware, http://www.checkit.com

www.genejones.com <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 28 January 2004 at 08:30 AM.]</p></FONT>
jolynyk

Post by jolynyk »

I was swamped with popups, almost all said Messenger Service, some university education popups, but mostly X-rated.. I found a site offering the following solution, & it worked... no more popups.. Unfortunately it only works in XP or XP Pro, but not in Windows 98..

1..Click Start->Settings->Control Panel
2..Click Administrative Tools
3..Click Services
4..Double Click Services
5..Scroll Down & Highlight "Messenger"
6..Right-Click the highlighted line & Choose Properties.
7..Click The Stop Button
8..Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type Scrollbar
9..Click OK...

This only works for Messenger popups if those are the ones you are troubled with...
Hope this helps, worked for me..
Bob Lawrence

Post by Bob Lawrence »

I was helping a friend with popup problems while using Windows 98 and Internet Explorer. I tried Pop up Cop (plus others) with some success. Google tool bar was an improvement but I still got a few pop ads and lots of browser scripting errors, as well as too many browser crashes. I removed all of the ad blockers and switched to the free Mozilla Web Browser for Windows. (I use it on linux) So far it has been perfect. No crashes or pop ups. They also have a version with junk mail blocking.
http://www.mozilla.org/

------------------
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

AOL ver 8 has a Pop-Up blocker built in as standard. It's a blessing.

KB