Anybody familiar with these?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Christer Fredriksen

Anybody familiar with these?

Post by Christer Fredriksen »

Hello!
I'm looking for a new small amp for smaller gigs, something like a Fender Deluxe rev, or similar: http://www.valvetechamps.com
Anybody familiar with those valvetech amps? I couldn't find any soundclips on their site.

Thanks
Christer
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

Christer . Do you have any music stores that carry the Peavey Nashville ''112 '' ? They are selling very good here for the steel . They aren't very heavy either . You may want to give those a try . Best regards,,,Gary .
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Christer, those look <u>very</u> expensive, to me! Image

When they don't even quote prices, that's usually a sign that they're a "boutique" manufacturer.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Sonny Priddy

Post by Sonny Priddy »

You Can't Go Wrong On The 112 I Have One And It;s Great. Bobbie Seymour At Steel Guitar Nashville And You Can't Beat His Price. His Ph. Is (615-822-5555) SONNY.

------------------
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

The valvetech site has links to Harmony Central where you can read user comments. Price paid varies from $500 to $1200 (why so wide?) but is mostly about $850 which is low for a hand wired amp these days. Many users liked them but a few guys complained that this amp won't do anything that I can't do with my cheaper Fender or Peavey tube amp.
Christer Fredriksen

Post by Christer Fredriksen »

Thank you for your kind advices! I saw the reviews on harmonycentral, which where all quit good, except for the one that claims you can do better with cheaper amps. I was also a little puzzled by the variety in pricing. A hand wired amp should normally cost more than 550? I was sort of curious if any of you forumites knew if he was one of "the good guys" I'll probably go for one of these, http://www.bulldog-amps.com/pageID_2040495.html the amp will mainly be used for "normal" guitar gigs, as my lap-steel playing doesn't seem to improve beyond bed room level.. (darn, that thang is hard to play) :-(

Christer
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Well! I take back what I said. That's not bad prices for H/W tube amps. The cabinets look nice too, easily as nice as Standels (which are very pricey). The final analysis is how the sound, though. I'll be looking for one to try out.
Geoff Brown

Post by Geoff Brown »

Christer, how difficult might it be to find a silverface Fender Deluxe where you are? I think that would be your best bet, to be honest...if they aren't priced too high over there. Whatever you decide, play before you pay if at all possible.