Modding amp(s)

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Christer Fredriksen

Modding amp(s)

Post by Christer Fredriksen »

Hi!
I have a Fender hot rod deluxe amp that I'm considering buying a mod kit to from Torres amps: http://freespace.virgin.net/vyse.co/
I'm happy with the amp, but would like the challenge of modding it. At least I think so.. Image
I have a friend of mine who built a Torres amp from scratch, and it just sounds so amazing. The bottom line is: Have any of you here at the forum done anything like this, and would like to give some tips/hints? I wouldn't like to risk blowing up my house while searching for the ultimate tone..
Thanks

Christer
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Christer Fredriksen on 03 August 2004 at 01:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Lloyd Green uses, or has used, this very amp for steel. He recorded his "Revisited" CD using the Deluxe. As far as I know the only modification was a speaker change to a JBL D-130.
Jerry Erickson

Post by Jerry Erickson »

Do a Google search for Hot Rod Deluxe mods. There's info for a few different sources.
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

At www.fenderforum.com they have a specific forum for amp mods. Torres comes up a lot. You should find a lot of information there. Some of it may be accurate Image.

Caution: Be very cautious about electronics advice you receive on a public forum. Especially when they all use names like "cheezweezl". Personal accountability is practically zero.
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

At the risk of opening up a big 'ol can of worms, let me ask you a few questions ....
1. What kind of mod are you looking for?
For mods to the gain structure of an amp, there are numerous things to do....most are quite easy for a qualified tech...
2. Torres mods are notoriously (sp?) "invasive", meaning that you are required to modify the chassis by drilling holes, etc. Not good if you ever decide to sell the amp.
3. Do a search of the web for discussion groups about Torres mods. From the tech point of view, they are at best 'hack' jobs that only decrease the value of an amp.
From personel expierence here, I have dealt with these mods, from a "drop in" Fender Bassman circuit that was anything but "drop in" (convoluted instructions, massive work involved) to the 'hot' channel mods etc....and now, I, as well as alot of other techs, will not work on Torres modded amps anymore. From sloppy work performed during the mods to the mods themselves making the amp unstable, the modded amps always seem to be having problems.

FWIW, stay away from Torres, get a good tech, he can do anything the Torres will do, and probably alot better.

Flame On, Torres Lovers!!!!

Jay
Christer Fredriksen

Hello Jay!
It seems as if you have opened the can in both ends... Image Thank you for the input on the Torres mod. I visited an unofficial Hot Rod web site http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/
an excellent resource for Hot Rod/deville owners. I wasn't aware of Torres "reputation", so thank you for filling me in. I think I'll try some of the easier mods mentioned on Justin Holtons site. I have changed the speaker already, but would like to do something with the reverb and try out the treblebypass mod. The parts for this mod cost app 1 USD at a local store, the kit at torres cost 17USD, and basically does the same.

thanks
Chris<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Christer Fredriksen on 04 August 2004 at 11:24 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Christer Fredriksen on 04 August 2004 at 11:25 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

My pleasure, Christer.

Here are links to a couple of forums that are populated by good people. A good place to get questions answered: http://p210.ezboard.com/fhoffmanamplifiersfrm3
and http://p210.ezboard.com/bampworkshop

I'm going to go check out the link you posted....
Good luck!

Jay
Gino Iorfida

Post by Gino Iorfida »

I wish I had a $1 for every bad Torres mod I've heard/seen. His mods are notorious for adding a ton of gain/overdrifve at the sacrifice of TONE. Sure you can get a lot of gain, but that gain is all flatulant or fizzy. A lot of his mods are taking mods that have been public domain for quite some time, and have small changes to them to make them seem different, when in reality, those changes didnt sound all that good. most of the mods require (as stated before), cutting, drilling etc of the chassis. There ar ea lot of good guys out there who do some amazing work, and can do a million tiems better job in most cases at a lower price etc. If you are serious about modding, go to the ampage bbs, and talk on there... there are quite a few guys who have modded these amps, and can give you some good avice and suggest some really good mods, that will cost you at most a few $$ in parts, and a bit of your time.. and would be very easily reversible if you don't like/decide to sell etc. A lot of the techs who hang out there are world class techs who are more than happy to share a few tech tips to someone interested in the craft.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

One thing you don't mention, Christer, is your level of experience. I am a novice. I really wanted to start doing some of my own tec work on older Fender amps--basic maintenance and mod stuff. But I was well aware of the truly lethal dangers of messing around in there without knowing what I was doing. So I asked a LOT of questions and I got a video from Gerald Weber just so that I could actually watch someone discharge the caps. THEN I was ready to get to work. The video is not as comprehensive as I would like but it was worth every cent just to get me the confidence I needed. If you are already up to/beyond this point, cool. Nevermind.
Christer Fredriksen

Thanks for the ampage link!
I'm also a novice when it comes to electronics, but after having experienced 220V at the age of 7 (I was trying to make a door bell work, aaauuuuuuch), I'm a little more careful.... Image