DTR-1 Hook up in Rack

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Moore

DTR-1 Hook up in Rack

Post by Larry Moore »

Can anyone help??????
I have just bought a DTR-1 Korg Tuner,and I am having a problem with the tone on the Pro-Fex settings. they all are very muddy. I have it patched like this.... Out of Steel into the input of tuner...then out of the tuner into the front input of volume pedal...then out of the back plug of volume pedal into the input of the Pro-Fex...then out of pro-fex into the input of the DPC-1000... then out to the speakers..
I wanted to be able to tune without any volume
What did I do wrong?
Larry :<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Moore on 01 October 2003 at 09:59 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

I have not used a DTR 1. But I have used many other tuners and the ones I have used will muck up my tone, if left in line. I have tried tuners that have a bypass, but still messes with my sound. This includes the really nice strobe tuners.

Here is what works for me. Guitar>Volume Pedal>stereo signal processor>Left amp and Right amp. To get the tuner hooked up, I run a guitar cable from the second input on one amp, to the tuner. I can back off the volume pedal and still get signal to the tuner.

Another way is to use one output from the VP to start the signal chain, and use the second output from the VP straight to the tuner. It will be silent this way, too.

Hope this helps.
Mike Winfield

Post by Mike Winfield »

Larry,
I have a DTR-1 and Ron's suggestion of running a chord from the second output of your volume pedal is the way to go.
Mike Winfield
Larry Moore

Post by Larry Moore »

Thanks Ron & Mike but my VP only has One in & One out. Could I use a spliter at the VP??
Larry
Bill Crook

Post by Bill Crook »

I use a splitter out of the left side of the "Profex II".
One to the signal chain. The other to the tuner. Ther is no noticable signal loss in this setup. This way, there is no signal inserted into the amp by the tuner. The best of both worlds.

(BTY) The muddle tone from the "Profex II" isn't caused by the DTR-1. It's just an inhertant part of the "Profex II". I have noticed this for a number of years and have had to adjust the EQ of the "Profex II" a bit to compansate for it.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 02 October 2003 at 12:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I know that some guys run the second input from the volume pedal to the tuner, but you need to re-wire the pedal so that output is always "hot". If you don't do that, you can not tune silently without turning down your amp.

I use a Hilton Digital Sustain Unit as an impedance matching device between the guitar and the volume pedal. On the output of the Hilton unit I plug in a splitter that is available from Radio Shack. It's just a little device that has a male plug on one end and two female jacks on the other end. I plug the splitter into the bottom of the Hilton device and run one cord to the volume pedal and one cord to the tuner. There is absolutely no change in the tone of my guitar when I do this. (By the way, you will notice a big change in tone if you try to do this on the output of the guitar. It needs to be after the pre-amp/matching device.) By doing this, the tuner is receiving a signal before the volume pedal and I can tune silently.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Terry Downs

Post by Terry Downs »

I do as Lee. I wire up my volume pedals so the second output jack is straight wired to the input. You will need a preamp to drive it unless you like a lot of your highs rolled off. I come out of my guitar, into the rack mounted Goodrich 7A preamp, then to the volume pedal. The straight wired output goes to the tuner input. The tuner is not in-line with your signal, and you can tune quietly. Works great for me.

Regards,
Terry
jerry wallace

Post by jerry wallace »

Larry, I went to radio shack bought a aluminum box ,a toggle switch, and three 1/4" female jack plugs..I come from the steel output jack to the box{I have a leg clamp on the box}..Then I use the toggle switch to switch between the two outputs on my "box"..One output goes to the DTR-1, the other to my volume pedal..

This is a "AB" type of switch that takes the DTR-1 completely out of the signal path..This seems to work well for me..

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://www.jerrywallacemusic.com

Larry Moore

Post by Larry Moore »

Thanks Fellows for all of the suggestions. Jerry I have done this I had a little box like that and it does sound best right now. I am going to put a switch in a rack patching space to do the same thing just so as not to have to have another thing to set up then I just plug into that and have a switch to do it all there.
Thank you all so much
Larry Image Image

Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Larry, it's all about placement. Place your tuner in the back of your car, and sit next to Charles. It'll look like you're in tune, and it'll sound like you're playing through a chorus.
I mean, whaddya want??? You already got great tone, and now you want to play in TUNE?
SOME PEOPLE!!! Image
Chick Donner

Post by Chick Donner »

I use an old Alesis Qverb GT with my DTR-1, and I use the "effects out" to send the signal to the DTR-1. Just like someone above saying use the second output from the Profex.
using the FXC out, I can still have the volume control on the Qbverb all the way down, and still get the use of the tuner.
Larry Moore

Post by Larry Moore »

Stephen,
I am only going to tune the strings that I use the most......See you in Saluda.
Chick,
Thanks for your suggestion.
I put a switch in the rack patch space to split the signal. In one positionfrom the Steel to the Tuner and the other position from the rack> VP> Pro-Fex> Dpc-1000> 2 15' BW'S
Thank you all for you comments & help
Larry Image
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

Larry
I have a DTR-1 in my rack also and I agree with Bill Crook, The Dtr-1 doesn't do anything to your Sound. I go in the input on the front of the tuner straight from my guitar and go out of the back marked output and into my preamp. If you check the schematic of the DTR-1 , Its a direct pass thru. but I don't use a volume pedal either.

Knock them out at Saluda, I'll catch u there in Feb.

------------------
G&L Asat Special,Fender Nashville B Bender Tele,Peavey T-60, PreSonus Digitube Preamp,Rocktron Compressor, Alesis Q-20, 2 Peavey PX 300's

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 16 October 2003 at 02:09 PM.]</p></FONT>