Have my First steel comming!!!...what now?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brandon Roper

Have my First steel comming!!!...what now?

Post by Brandon Roper »

I have my very first steel comming(finally!)A Carter Starter. What are some basic beginner pieces,tools,electronics (besides vol. pedal) should I considder. I hear alot about this Goodrich matchbox.What exactly does it do. Any and all suggestions would be very gratefully appreciated-Please keep in mind I am brand new to the steel. Thanks!
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

a good tuner ?
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

A good coffee maker Image
Michael Haselman

Post by Michael Haselman »

Don't put the cart before the horse. Concentrate on learning the basics. You won't need any bells and whistles for a while.

------------------
Marrs D-10, Webb 6-14E
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

no-doze
Brandon Roper

Post by Brandon Roper »

I have a tuner, vol. pedal,seat and (makeshift) amp. Should I even utilize the vol pedal at first? I know its a joke, but why the coffee and no doze. If its anything like dobro and guitar then I was thinking padded walls for when I throw it. J/K
Del Rangel

Post by Del Rangel »

Work on muscle-memory (positions) and tone for a while--you know little things like pick-blocking and using a tone bar to best advantage, and then later add the pedal. Right now it is only a distraction.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Yes, hook up the volume pedal. You don't have to use it a lot, at first, but get used to it being there. Just kick it down about 1/3 of the way, and keep your foot on it. You have plenty to keep you busy without worrying too much about it, to start.
Del Rangel

Post by Del Rangel »

Mr. Hinson may have a point. I kicked that old L120 of mine for weeks before I got used to it being there.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Hi Brandon, the Coffee Maker and No-doze are for you so you can go non stop with your new Steel for days ! You should stop at least once a day for food though..(Energy)

Use all of the stuff you have but I agree, don't really worry about the volume pedal just yet, you may want to consider just planting your right foot on the floor for awhile as that will help prevent unwanted volume swells from your right foot.

The Steel, a small amp , picks and a bar and of course a good tuner are all you need.

A good instructional E9th course ( one at a time ) and a local player that you can visit now and then for some instruction would be a great asset.

Sounds like you have a pretty good background so you should be able to apply what you know and get off with a jump start.

Congratulations and good luck

tp
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Hello Brandon!

Man, way to go!
I am still not peddlin' but playing lots of acoustic and electric steel. You are welcome to try any of the steel goodies I have. Lots of rhythym tracks.(Steel players have too much stuff).

Right hand technique, then practice the right hand. After that....

Spend your time and money on practice and lessons. Forget all the electronic goodies for now. Hold off on the matchbox. Got something to show you.

Hope you are going to the Texas Show.

Ron

------------------
Stringmaster T8, Benoit 8, National Tricone

Brandon Roper

Post by Brandon Roper »

I really can't wait for that dang thing to arrive!! I've been savin' $ and lookin' for over a year. Its gonna feel like an eternity till it gets delivered.Thanks for all the advice guys...please keep it comming!!! Does anyone know of any steelers in my area (Dallas/Ft.Worth) that would be close to my age (26). Not that I have anything in the world against chattin' all you seasoned vets. It just seems to me like there are not that many younger people interested in unique intruments these days.
Brandon Roper

Post by Brandon Roper »

Hi Ron!
A special very thanks to you for loaning me the tapes and spending some time with me! I have been spending as much time on that Dobro video as possible lately (truing to work on that hand technique you showed me-And that Cindy CashDollar tape is definately a motivator. I must have watched it 10 times and in the last few months and didnt even have a steel! Ha! I am very excited. How are you and the ol' Five string you-know-what getting along? I'd love to get together again when you have a few spare minutes.
Don Walters

Post by Don Walters »

<SMALL>I really can't wait for that dang thing to arrive..</SMALL>
Get ready for a wait when you're ready for a pro model... unless you get a Carter Image

<font size=-2>just talking about delivery time, folks. It's not a "mine is better" comment</font>

------------------
Don Walters
Carter D-10, 8p/6k
Session 500 with Lemay Mod

Chris Schlotzhauer

--------------------------------------------
Does anyone know of any steelers in my area (Dallas/Ft.Worth) that would be close to my age (26). Not that I have anything in the world against chattin' all you seasoned vets. It just seems to me like there are not that many younger people interested in unique intruments these days.
-------------------------------------------

Uh...no Brandon. I don't know any "young" players in this area, but us old guys will be here to help if you need it. Ricky Davis was the youngest when he lived in the area, but he moved away and got older Image
Brandon Roper

Post by Brandon Roper »

Hey Chris,
Hope I didn't offend anyone with the "young" comment. Everyone has been soooo helpful already! Its just that I am just supprised at the lack of interest by a younger crowd. I mean who is gonna carry on this great music?
Randy Pettit

Post by Randy Pettit »

Brandon,
I'm 41, but I've been told I play steel like a five year old. I'd be happy to help you any way I can.
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I don't know what you mean by a "makeshift amp" but apart from a guitar that stays in tune,nothing keeps you more interested in sitting for hours hacking away at this unforgiving beast than having a toneful amp. After all,it's the only part of your rig that actually produces sound so it might as well be a good sound - and isn't that the whole point? Or as my first teacher used to say: "An amp is like an outboard motor - without it, all you got is a rowboat" A decent used Nash 400 can be had for $250-$350. -MJ-
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Coffee, tuner, lot's of 011 strings and some 018 or 017, earplugs for your wife and a cassetterecorder to tape yourself. Make a tape every week, the best proof for your own progressions, when you are down Image Image JJ

------------------
Image Click on the pic!

Leon Roberts

Post by Leon Roberts »

Brandon, all the advice above is excellent. The only thing I could add is since you live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, try and attend Jeff Newman's seminar during the Texas Steel Guitar Show. If you do attend, make sure you tape it for future reference. Attending my first JEFFRAN seminar soon after purchasing my first Pedal Steel was the main reason for what meager success I've had with the instrument. Welcome to the wonderful World of Pedal Steel Guitar and good luck.
Leon
Chris Schlotzhauer

No offense at all Brandon. I'm glad to see you on board with such a great instrument. The fact that there are such few young players just insures your job security for many years to come. Mine too. If I knew of some younger players, I would turn you on to them, but I don't.