Anyone else see the Opossum on Letterman?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

"...and the Oscar goes to Jim Carrey!" Accepting for Mr. Carrey will be .... (Jim didn't show up.)
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

Barry,

Could you explain that a little? Not to pry, I don't mean to get you into anything more than you want to here.

------------------
My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I have no character. -- Charles Barkley
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

..lemme guess.... "No Show Carrey" (?)
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Bingo.
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Sid Mc Ginnis plays steel with Paul Schaefer and plays triple meck stringmaster.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Carey does his super-animated schtick very well. His rubber face and spastic body movements might lend itself to do a good Robyn Williams imitation, or maybe even Danny Kaye. Yeah, I could easily see Carey as Danny Kaye.

But...as George Jones???

Nah! Never in a million years. That would be like having Cyndi Lauper play Kitty Wells. Image
Darryl Hattenhauer

Jim Carrey would be better as Star Jones.

------------------
My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I have no character. -- Charles Barkley
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

...ever see "Man on the Moon"? Brilliant work..
If a buffoon like Gary Busey can play Buddy Holly (with impunity, I might add), then a brilliant and talented actor such as Jim Carrey could play George Jones and win an award for it. IMHO, of course.
I don't like sticking folks in pidgeon holes.
No more than I like folks around Peoria saying the steel is strictly a "country" instrument.

And, who the heck is "Star Jones" anyway? And why would anyone want to tell her "story"?? Sometimes this cinical guy in me wants to say a few things.. but I digress.. decorum and my sense of humor 'forbids' it..

Why all the negativity? Image

We were just "playing some catch", and you guys put mustard on our "ball". Ickk! Image

Time for a cold one.. laters.
Darryl Hattenhauer

Just a joke, Rick. Star Jones was on a talk show called the view. IMHO, she's last person on earth who should have a movie about her. Unless it's a horror movie.

------------------
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

I had a feeling you were joking, Darryl. Please forgive my "spookiness".
This flu has made me a bit edgy. I wish it on NO ONE. Then add cabin fever, YUCK. Image

Ohhh, that "Star". One of those "famous for being famous" folks. Image
Ron

Post by Ron »

Sorry guys about knocking Mr Jones. He and Merle Haggard have a new CD and George dose some Merle songs and Merle dose some george songs and they have some duets together. I heard them sing Born with the blues and George blew me away.!!!

Merle has been on the Letterman show several times and he always uses his own band. I don't think a big star like George should have to use a house band!! He was trying to find the tune from that band he was not used to.

I saw Red Foley in concert with a pickup band from a symphony band with no guitar and he had them kick off Old Shep and he stopped them 3 times and finally he said I wrote that sang and have sang it yealions of times and have never heard it like that. He could not even find the place to start the song. He finally said I will start and you guys try to follow me!!

I saw George a couple times and he was great !! Sawe Roy Clard and he was a fantic guitar player but a dead pan on stage and saw Jerry Reed and was goew away by the guitar work and his profenace.

I cant carry a tuen now at 71 years old myself. I wish I was 1/4 th as good as George on his worst day.