Selling COPIES of Jeff Newman tab... this sucks.

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Doug Beaumier

Selling COPIES of Jeff Newman tab... this sucks.

Post by Doug Beaumier »

click

This really rubs me the wrong way. There is a seller on eBay who keeps posting auctions for the same item: Jeff Newman’s tablature arrangement of Sleepwalk. This seller is making copies of the arrangement and selling them. The auction posted above is his current auction, but he has run this same item several times recently.

This item is from Jeff Newman’s Woodshed Workshop series, and it’s still in print, and still for sale on the Newman site: http://jeffran.com/courses.php?content=WoodshedWorkshop

It's perfectly legal to resell an original book that the author was paid for. The owner may legally resell the item. But copying and selling the copies? I don't think so! Public Domain is one thing, but that wouldn’t apply here. What do you think?

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site - Instruction

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 17 November 2006 at 09:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Have you contacted Fran Newman about this?

------------------
Mark
John McGann

Post by John McGann »

Who here is a lawyer who can write a nice little warning to this bozo?

That's the same as copying Harry Potter and selling it. Except JK probably has a cauldron of lawyers.

Immoral AND illegal.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John McGann on 14 November 2006 at 12:01 PM.]</p></FONT>
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 2 Mar 2011 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

EBAY VeRo program is there specifically for this reason.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/programs-vero-ov.html

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 14 November 2006 at 01:14 PM.]</p></FONT>
Colm Chomicky

Post by Colm Chomicky »

Jeffran courses direct from Fran are a better deal because you get the rhythm track with the tab. This ebay stuff only has the tab. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Colm Chomicky on 14 November 2006 at 03:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

While we are on the topic of JK tabs, does anybody have a copy of Jeff's version of The Preacher? I got some cool JK material from a friend the other day, the instructional album for C6 being one of them.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

The EBAY VeRo program is for the copyright owner to use.

Here’s what we can do. Go to the bottom of the auction page and click on 'Report this item', then click on Counterfeits and copyright violations - Bootlegs and counterfeit media - Unauthorized photocopies of printed material

------------------
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

woops.... guess the guy is legit...
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Rick Summers on 15 November 2006 at 12:37 PM.]</p></FONT>
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Rick why do you say he is legit?

Phred
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

Fred, he sent me a nice little letter. And I have no reason to think he's not telling the truth. He said: "...The winner gets an original from Newman's Workshop... I am helping a young steel player who needs it..." .
Now I feel bad for ridiculing him.. Image
I hope he's on the up & up.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

That's not what he told me. He told me "these are copies of an original I bought a while ago. I'm not looking to make a lot of money, I thought players would be interested in getting the tab for this popular song". Maybe with all of the commotion he's decided to send the winning bidder the original and forget about selling any more copies.

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site - Instruction <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 15 November 2006 at 09:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Rick I just didn't understand because your post had no mention of your letter. I did, however, do as Doug and others suggested and notified EBay of the "potential Problem" and received a 'boiler plate' notification they were checking into it. Must have been several others did the same as I. I have not heard further.

Phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

If nothing else, the community at large at least gets the indication that we are still watching out for Jeff Newman.

(PSG Techniques) Watching him play the steel with that firearm still cracks me up...
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

eBay has not yet shut down the auction despite our reports. I guess they have no way of verifying whether the sheets are original or copies.

The Woodshed Workshop songs were printed on 11" x 17" sheets folded over to make an 8 ½" x 11" booklet. This guy is selling individual 8 ½" x 11" sheets… obviously copies that he made on a copy machine.

------------------

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 15 November 2006 at 11:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Well if he's selling originals he's got a bunch of them. I just researched his feedback and found the following:

On Oct 22 he sold this one for $9.50 to rose789dobro: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120042408283

On Oct 11 he sold this one for $2.25 to deacar: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120039033502

On Oct 03 he sold this one for $10.75 to merriemae: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120036324853

I don't think he can stay in business very long if he's buying originals and selling them at this price.
Phred
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I agree Fred. There's no money in it, that's for sure!

I am absolutely positive that this man is selling copies. The Woodshed Workshop arrangements are bound booklets, not loose sheets like this guy is selling. His picture showing a stack of loose sheets is the smoking gun.

------------------
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Well well well, here's one more I emailed him and asked if it's a copy or original sheet music.
Perry Hansen

Post by Perry Hansen »

I have been asked to loan out some of my Jeff Newman courses. I give them Frans address. I believe she has a right to the money more than they have the right for the course.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

The picture in his ad is a photo copy for sure.

Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

hmmmmm... sounds like he surely told me a fib. %#@&! Argh.. gonna report him again just for good measure.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Here's a little note I got from the "trooper". Thot the forum might be interested.
"Response from member695473
member695473( 704)
Positive feedback: 99.6%
Registered on: www.ebay.com

Item: Sleepwalk Tab For Pedal Steel Guitar E9 (120053061261)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
member695473 is the seller.

I don't even own a copy machine. These are a batch that I obtained on ebay some time ago and figured someone could use them more than I. Fortunately this current listing is the last of the batch I had and maybe people like you will get off my back for trying to provide a service and if you are the steel guitar community then you are not a very good representative."

"Provide a service" my a$$, dollar bills rule this cat. This kinda' shoots the "original" theory in the foot though. I don't think it would do for me to post my answer. Image Image

Phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

The high bidder on the Sleepwalk copies is "homebrewband". Anybody recognize that name? Maybe we can inform them that these are copies, although it's pretty obvious from the photos. Informing the bidders is another way to shut this particular auction down, at least.
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

Here's what he wrote me:
""Sorry you feel that way. I don't even own a copy machine and these were a batch I bought on evbay some time ago and just figured a steel player would like to have one of them. If they are copies, I did not copy them. I am not going to let you or any other try and belittle the efforts to help others. I certainly am not making a killing on these. To my benefit this is the last one of the batch I had so maybe you and the other do gooders will get off my back. You must be a Democrat.""

My response: ""I suppose if someone stole your neighbor's bicycle, sold it to you for $5, you'd think it was OK to sell it and keep the money. Jerk. The money isn't the point. Yeah, right, you bought all these photocopies on Ebay?? You're not only insulting my intelligence, you've revealed your own lack of it. I suspect you'll be getting a few more Emails from the 'Steel Community'. We look out for our own. 'Do-gooders'? Hah! Now that's a clear indication you have no clue as to what any of us are talking about. I know wrong from right. And I know you're wrong, sir. By the way.. I'm a Democrat. Only a stingy, self-serving, jerky republican would say something like that in light of the obvious. Eat some dirt, then tell me it tastes great. I bet YOU could say it with a big smile.""

He called us "Do-gooders".
Now, there's an insult we can live with.. Image
John McGann

Post by John McGann »

"I'm trying to help out somebody, but you all are dogooders".

What a world Image