Copyright Law Gone Amuk

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Charlie Campney

Post by Charlie Campney »

Because his place features local musicians and covers are rare, he didn't think he had to pay the musicians and publishers group an estimated $2,000 to cover performances of copyrighted tunes.

What are covers ? ?
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Tony,

For performance royalties from BMI and ASCAP, the check for the writer's share goes directly to the writer and the publisher's share goes directly to the publisher, eliminating this potential.

For mechanical royalties off CD sales, the label pays it to the publisher, who then pays the writer...

Oh, and on returning a big screen tv vs a cd--If you go to Best Buy and buy a 60" plasma to watch the Super Bowl and return it the next day, at least they have it back, can resell it, and know you did not set it up on the workbench and build a clone to keep using. With a piece of software, a movie or a cd, it is waaaay to easy to just copy it and return it, and be able to use that program or entertainment for free--thus the policy. WIth the abilty to see reviews and listen to samples of music these days, one should be pretty prepared to know if the disc is crappy before they purchase it...

I said above the system is not perfect--if there was more even compliance and collection, chances are the fees could be lower. If you play a few originals in a club or get a few spins of one station are you going to get a check? Not likely, though with digital and embedding info in the disk it gets a bit more likely with radio airplay.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Macy on 12 October 2006 at 05:58 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Macy on 12 October 2006 at 07:05 AM.]</p></FONT>
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Realistically $2000 a year is not that much for a club that is in any way successful. If the bands are using covers, the rights organizations are within their right to enforce that.
Songwriters sign deals with ASCAP or BMI to liscense their music, and are paid for it from that. Most of that $2000 probably nevers sees the light of day after they get ahold of it, but the writers agree to that when they sign up. They get paid from spins on the radio, royalties from record sales revenue and other sources.
It is, however, ridiculous to say that it is a violation to whistle a tune- what a moron. So am I breaking the law when I sing in the shower? Come get me, if you want to dig me outta my hidey hole. Watch out though, I have a bunch of unliscensed out of tune recordings of myself on my hard drive, and I'm not afraid to use 'em!
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

<SMALL>So am I breaking the law when I sing in the shower?</SMALL>
Only if you are in the company of enough people to call it a 'public performance'... Image

Steinar

------------------
"Play to express, not to impress"
www.gregertsen.com
Southern Moon Northern Lights

Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

John, thanks for the reply, it never hurts to actually pickup something from an educated person..

t
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

Dave's right. It's only 99% of lawyers who give the rest a bad name.

------------------
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruitflies like a banana." -- Groucho
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

This is nuts!
Give me a break.

I'll go out anywhere, and everywhere and sing "A Simple Song Of Freedom" (written by Bobby Darin and recorded by Tim Hardin - or, maybe, vice-versa) Forget now.

I can't believe this horse#$$%^ I'm reading here. What is this, Nazi Germany?

It's like you open your mouth, and BANG, you're dead. Not gonna shut me up.

You gotta fight back. This is ridiculous.
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

I had a bunch of run-ins with these people when I was in business and it's just a rip-off for the writers and the clubs they charge. A very big portion of this money pays for big vacations,parties, lavish events with stars and all at the expense of any club that has live music. I think any club with a seating capaicity of under 100-150 people should be exempt. Musicians of all kinds are going to naturally start out playing cover tunes and for ASCAP to come in and charge you these ridiculous rates is outrageous. Also to keep getting royaties for life is another rip-off. 25 years of royaties should be enough for the effort it take to write a song. It's only a song, not a cure for cancer!
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

It is important to understand - there are thousands, tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of lawyers and MBA's packed into office buildings all over the country asking themselves, "How can I make a pile of money without doing any work?" It's an investment strategy for them - spend a few dozen hours drawing up the papers, a few hundred dollars filing them and then wait and see which and what pays off.

It's really highly unlikely that Dottie Butts, second cousin thrice-removed to country singing legend Lefty Butts, found out that YOUR band did a cover version of Lefty's classic "There's No Corn In My Pone" and that she began demanding her share of the songwriting royalties in order to feed her starving autistic triplets. SURE it would be nice if Dottie gets what's due her, it's a great song after all, but it's far more likely that the impetus for this kind of thing came from some ducktailed young legal hotshot working for some megalithic, dying dino-corporation who are just looking to skim some cash from the top of Dottie's money, and yours and poor dead Lefty's creative labors.

(Here on the Eastern Shore we used to chuck the lawyers into the bay, but they kept poisoning the crabs....)
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

<SMALL>"How can I make a pile of money without doing any work?" </SMALL>
Become an ex-wife...
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

Dave,

Maybe that's why my crabs have been itchier lately.

But seriously, what concerns me is that most politicians are lawyers. It makes me suspect that they pass laws that require more litigation.

------------------
"I drink to make other people more interesting." -- Jack Nicholson
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

" I'll just have a cup of coffee and I'll go" But first I'll spill it on me (thats hot!)and be rich. Remember The Big Mac. It's illegal to play music in a elevator going down or up Image I wonder if my dentist pays copyright. Joe <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Joe Miraglia on 13 October 2006 at 05:42 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Joe Miraglia on 13 October 2006 at 05:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Let's face it: (and I know I am going to get serious flack for saying this, but...) the reason this seems so unreasonable is because we are all used to being able to get away with it, and we have a feeling of entitlement. I know just having a song played seems petty for that kind of money (and maybe it is) but song rights owners are some of the most ripped-off people in the world.

I think ASCAP has gone over the top on this one, but there's another side to the story. Maybe things would run smoother if the fees were way less and the process was easier to negotiate - that'd probably bring them more cash too, from the smaller outfits.

Q: Can the performer get sued too, as well as the club hosting them?

Q: Does a place's "private club for members" status change any of this?
erik

Post by erik »

:|