My band just folded - :(

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Ian Finlay

My band just folded - :(

Post by Ian Finlay »

Hi all,

the Western Swing band I was in just folded. The fiddle player got involved with another band who've released a CD and want to promote it, the singer is going through some personal stuff and is doing exams, the piano player has been doing solo gigs or something and the bass player is moving house. Oh, and the guitar player (who's band it was really - he wrote most of the material) just got married and lives 400 miles away.

So that's that. No more outlet for my steel "playing" (or as close as I can get). I'm still in 2 other bands playing guitar, but I'm really bummed.

Now to ask your advice Image

Do I:
1. Start a new Western Swing band doing it my way (more Bob Wills/Spade Cooley type stuff)
2. Get silly and try for a full horn section as well, 3 fiddles, you know....
3. Go back to practising with no band to play with

Western Swing bands are hard to come by over here in the UK..

Looking forward to your views!

Ian
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

Ian,,
Just my 2 cents worth, I think I'd look around for some musicians that enjoyed playing Western Swing, and had some of the same ambitions that I have, put it together and see what you come up with. Just because one group of musicians broke up doesn't mean the world, or the music stops there! JMO

Larry

------------------
"Fessy" S/D 12, 8/6 Hilton Pedal, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Richard Sevigny

Post by Richard Sevigny »

I'd also see if the two bands I'm already in would tolerate some steel playin' by their guitarist. Image
Ian Finlay

Post by Ian Finlay »

I could indeed try to form a band. I know loads of good players - a guitarist for sure, upright bass probably, fiddle possibly, singer... harder. I need Tommy Duncan! I think a big Texas Playboys band is probably out.... any of you guys ever done anything that big?

My two other bands are a doo-wop band and I just joined a Louis Prima/Louis Jordan style swing band. Not much scope for steel there!

Ian
Ryan Spearman

Post by Ryan Spearman »

Hey Ian,

I've got a Louis Jordan double album...I think it's a greatest hits...and it's got a fair amount of steel playing!

Check it out...

Personally, I think Louis Jordan/Prima type stuff is begging for steel.
"...I like jam and no flim-flam"
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

There ya go Ian,,

Swing is nice,, but it don't have to be!! LOL..

Larry

------------------
"Fessy" S/D 12, 8/6 Hilton Pedal, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Ian Finlay

Post by Ian Finlay »

Ryan, which album is that?

Ian
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I wouldn't think a singer would be hard to find in Britain. Several years ago I worked with a British company in Jordan, and I don't think there was a Brit on the job that couldn't sing. Especially with a few beers under their belt. LOL

By the way, my nickname on the job was "Jed Clampitt", it must have had something to do with my accent.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Darvin Willhoite on 13 June 2006 at 07:14 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jake L

Post by Jake L »

Move to Texas!
James Martin (U.K.)

Post by James Martin (U.K.) »

Hi Ian, Jim Martin here, just up the road from you.I had no idea you played with a band, or three. Can you put your gig list up on the British Steelies Web site then we can all come along and listen. I love Western Swing, just never got around to finding the right guys! If I were you I'd have a go at putting my own band together, you've nothing to loose by trying. Good luck. Jim
Ian Finlay

Post by Ian Finlay »

Thanks James,

I still play with my doo-wop band, The Metrotones - now mixing a live album, which I really should spend some more time on - and The Slammers, the jump jive band I mentioned above. I've been considering forming a Western Swing band, but it would have to have twin fiddles, piano, guitar, steel and possibly horns. I don't know...I think I'll start another thread about a possibe line up!

Drop me an email off list - if would be nice to meet up.

Ian