Leno tonite 6/6/06

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jerry Overstreet

Leno tonite 6/6/06

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I just walked in and caught the tail end of the Tonight Show and heard some great acoustic picking. Slick dobro, banjo, etc.
Was that really David Lee Roth?...and who were those fabulous musicians playing with him.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Yes that was David Lee Roth promoting the new album Strummin' with the Devil: The Southern Side of Van Halen - A Tribute Featuring David Lee Roth. Bluegrass versions of Van Halen songs.
That was basicly "The John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band" with John Jorgenson on mandolin, Rob Ickes on his Wechter/Scheerhorn Rob Ickes model Resophonic Guitar, Brad Davis on guitar, Scott Vestal on his Stealth banjo(one of my favorite banjo players), Charlie Chadwick on bass, I don't know who the other guitar player was and it looked like Glen Duncan on fiddle(although I think Stuart Duncan plays on the recordings).
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Alvin Blaine on 07 June 2006 at 01:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

You sure it was Rob's Wechter/Scheerhorn?

I know he's promoting it - but I'm thinking it was his "real 'horn" for a gig like the Tonight Show.

------------------
Mark
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>You sure it was Rob's Wechter/Scheerhorn?

I know he's promoting it - but I'm thinking it was his "real 'horn" for a gig like the Tonight Show. </SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know for sure, but it looked just like the ones he has his name on. Right down to the faux tortoise shell between the sound holes and his name on the 19th fret.
It was probably the Scheerhorn that the Wechter/Scheerhorn model is based off of.
Jerry Overstreet

Thanks Alvin. My first thought was Rob Ickes on the reso., but that is because I thought I recognized his signature spruce/rosewood 'horn. The tone of that thing and his playing was awesome!....as were the other musicians from what little bit I saw and heard.

Interesting mix of people. I would never have figured DLR for this situation. Just goes to show you, I guess.
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Tim Scheerhorn also puts his name on the 19th fret. On the new Rob model Tim's name is replaced by Rob's.

I thought the whole thing was really bizarre. No Tivo here, and the VCR is having issues, so I forced myself to stay up and watch it, because I knew Rob was going to be in the band.

He sounded great, and seemed to have an amused look on his face.

David struck me as being really out-to-lunch, he was like a fish out of water. A guy started a thread about this over on the Jerry Douglas board, and he likened it to his drunk uncle at his wedding getting up front with the band and trying to sing.

Every time David would try for the high "Jump!" and other high parts, I found myself wincing.

The whole thing was like something out of a weird dream.

------------------
Mark
Jerry Overstreet

I only caught the last of it as I was just coming home and the reception was a little fuzzy. I couldn't make out too many faces, but I thought I heard someone say David Lee Roth. I was surprised to hear his name associated with this type of band.

I guess I must have missed John Jorgensen. I know he is a monster player on many instruments....I'm particularly fond of his guitar playing which I think is off the scale.
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

If you missed it, or you need to see it again to make sure it really happened, copy and paste the link below, it's already on YouTube.

tinyurl.com/zoxqq
------------------
Mark
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 07 June 2006 at 11:15 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 07 June 2006 at 11:16 AM.]</p></FONT>
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

I got just the end of that too. had DLR just sung something? All I saw was him mugging it up for the cameras. Most peculiar.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Not knowing who DLR is and not knowing anyone in the band, I was wondering what the hell he was doing on TV. Sort of "rock" bluegrass band (no knock on the pickers) with a horrible singer (my personal opinion) that was out of place.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Thanks for posting the link, Alvin.

I still haven't sat down and gone through b0b's syllabus on how to use all the tools on The Forum.

------------------
Mark
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

No problem Mark.
Michael Garnett

Post by Michael Garnett »

I've had the privilege of seeing Brad Davis play, up close and personal, even engineered a few informal sessions... THAT DUDE CAN PICK. A LOT. I was under the impression that he was off doing his own thing after Marty Stuart, maybe they just got him for this gig?

-MG
John Poston

Post by John Poston »

video removed for copyright infringement. heaven forbid anyone promote the tonight show or the record on their own.
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

The only problem with having DLR in a blugrass band is that you can hear him. and see him.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Someone re-posted the video clip on YouTube for those who missed it before.
Who know how long it will stay up, although it looks like it's from David Lee's web site.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Alvin Blaine on 09 June 2006 at 04:01 AM.]</p></FONT>
Charlie Campney

Post by Charlie Campney »

Is there any way to download this clip from YouTube?
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

http://www.myspace.com/strumminwiththedevil

I accepted their myspace 'friendship' not knowing what it was or realizing that it was pure spam. A myspace friendship is a sacred thing, you know? I feel so violated.
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

DLR is what he is, but I liked it a lot,great stuff. JP<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Peters on 09 June 2006 at 07:31 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

You even liked his confusion as he tried to figure out who was taking the solo, along with his high-pitched yelps? Image

You are a generous man, Jim.

------------------
Mark
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 09 June 2006 at 09:21 AM.]</p></FONT>
erik

Post by erik »

I must be crazy but that whole gang was on the Ferguson show last night. DLR yelping, it did sound.....odd. His voice sounds extremely good on the VH albums.

------------------
-johnson

David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

A showman versus a singer.

Sometimes the showman is waht you need.
Sometimes the singer is best.

He was entertaining,
including his not having a clue schtick

Bluegrass is usually the singer.
But there have been a few bluegrass comedy acts
over the years.