Jerry Jericho song in TV commercial - who is he?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Per Berner

Jerry Jericho song in TV commercial - who is he?

Post by Per Berner »

A big Swedish bank is currently running a TV commercial featuring what appears to be an early-to-mid fifties country-ish song, "Always lend a helping hand", which has sort of stuck in my brain.

As far as I can find out, it is sung by Jerry Jericho, whom I have never heard of before. Not bad at all, a resonant voice a bit like Eddy Arnold (but better), a slight hawaiian feel to the simple but pretty melody.

Surely some of the forum's veteran performers can add some information on this guy? Was he big back then? Any hits I should be aware of? Any records worth hunting down?

------------------
´75 Emmons p/p D10 8+4, '96 Emmons Legrande II D10 8+5, ca '72 AWH Custom D10 8+3, Peavey Nashville 1000

Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

I have pasted his composer credits from BMI below. Hope it formats OK.

Jericho was a Houston-based songwriter and recording artist from the early 50s into the 60s. I know of maybe 6 records he had released at the time--on the Starday and All Star labels. Never had a hit, but he was well-known regionally.

I think he was related to Johnny Bush--possibly Johnny's uncle??

I can't place those lyrics you quote, but they are presumably from one of his Starday or Allstar recordings. One song, "When I'm Gone" (All Star 7188 from 1959), has been released on CD.

Odd that he would end up in a bank commercial!

Look here:
http://els51.law.emory.edu/rcs/artists/j/jeri1000.htm

Songwriter/Composer: JERICHO JERRY

Current Affiliation: BMI
CAE/IPI #: 15281509

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 17 Work Titles
Work Title BMI Work #
1. BE KIND TO A MAN WHEN HE S DOW 92443
2. BOOGIE WOOGIE DANCE 138371
3. I CAN T FACE THE FUTURE ALL AL 608155
4. I KNOW I LL FIND ANOTHER WAY 632132
5. I WANT TO GO WHERE NO ONE KNOW 690904
6. LET S TRY IT OVER AGAIN 860496
7. LET YOUR CONSCIENCE BE YOUR GU 862250
8. MEXICO ROSE 983274
9. MOANIN IN THE MORNING 1000524
10. MOONLIGHT ISLAND 1008342
11. MY PRECIOUS DARLING 1041476
12. TEARS FALL AGAIN 1463336
13. THRU THE GARDEN 1510559
14. WALTZ OF THE RIO GRANDE 1603738
15. WHEN I M GONE 1644069
16. YOU RE A BAD LITTLE GIRL 1726478
17. YOU VE LEARNED UP ON YOUR LOVI 1737355
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mitch Drumm on 19 April 2006 at 11:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Deborah Mundell

Post by Deborah Mundell »

Amazon.com has a listing for the following CD, showing a total of 10 tracks by Jerry Jericho:
“Daffans Singles” CD by Bear Family records:

Disc: 1

1. These Hands - Jerry Jericho

2. Walk My Way - Jerry Jericho

7. Always Lend A Helping Hand - Jerry Jericho

8. I'm Getting More Than My Share - Jerry Jericho

17. The Rich And The Poor - Jerry Jericho

18. Which Way Are You Going? - Jerry Jericho

19. Be Kind To A Man - Jerry Jericho

20. So Ashamed - Jerry Jericho

23. The Waltz That You Saved For Me - Jerry Jericho

24. I'm Getting More Than My Share - Jerry Jericho

These were apparently all recorded on DAFFAN RECORDS owned by Ted Daffan.

------------------
billy hughes fan
Billy Hughes
faron young's bigsby

c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

The last time I saw Jerry was in 60 or 61. He and others from the Luisiana hayride came to Killeen and played a show in the old high school. He had a magic guy with him and I believe the guitar player was called Buck. He had others with him also. After the show I asked why no steel. He said he didn't like for a guy to ride a bike while playing a steel. I gave him a list of straight steelers to contact. He asked if I played straight steel I said yes and he said ok tomorrow nite I'm doing a show in Bryan Tx and will you play with us. I accepted and we really had a great time. He then said tomorrow nite we are in Spring Tx,you're hired. I said whoa I have a business to take care of so I can't go full time. We parted friends and I never saw him again. CC
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Interesting stuff!

Playing steel while riding a bike, that would be something to see! Image It had better be non-pedal...
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

Per he was referring to a pedal guitar which he said was too whiney and treble. The pedals to him meant like riding a bike. When I played with him I played my permanent set up Sho-Bud and kept the A and B peds down and played in A6 most of the time. When others sang I used E9 peds which he didn't care for but he did offer me a job. Must not have been too whiney or trebley. cc
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

One more item. He was billed as Smilin Jerry Jericho as his facial features looked like he was always smiling. Mine are indescribable. CC
Curtis Alford

Post by Curtis Alford »

I played in a band backing Jerry for about 3 or 4 years just prior to his death. We always had a steel with us it was played by D.G. Burrows from Austin. D.G. was from Shrevesport,La.Came to Austin in the 50's a great steeler.
Jerry was a real gentleman and I never heard him say any thing negative about any one or their playing.
"Playboy" was one of his recordings and received a good bit of air time.
Yes, Jerry was Johnny Bushes uncle,he died in Navasoto,Tx. I made the funeral.