Walk The Line"- most disturbing moment

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Dave Van Allen

Walk The Line"- most disturbing moment

Post by Dave Van Allen »

I was watchin the DVD with the wife the other nite. I'd not seen the movie in the theatre.

It was pretty good as far as biopix go; but one moment in the film was subtle and very unnerving.

Cash is on the tourbus and is headed to the back of the bus to have yet another "marry me June" moment... as he passes thru he stops to remove a lit cigarette from sleeping Luther Perkins' mouth and stubs it out, then continues on his way...

knowing how Luther died, I was very shaken by this small bit of dramatic business... and more moved than by almost any other part of the movie. Subtle but very effective and definitely an "inside joke"

Anybody else catch that part or react similarly?
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

I did. But I did not see it as an inside joke at all. I saw it as just the opposite, he would have done the same thing if he had been there with Luther that fateful day.

Edit. I did a websearch and saw that the general concensus was that the scene was just irony of what was to be the real event later on. There was nothing malicious about that scene.

Personally I would have liked them to honor Luther by including some way in the movie what happened to him and how important his contribution was to Cash. Cash was the focus, but Luther was the sound that you always heard up front that caught your attention and let you know immediately that what you were going to hear.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Hatcher on 10 March 2006 at 07:12 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I remember seeing that.

I agree with Bill on the "irony" thing.

I recall whispering to my wife regarding its significance.

------------------
Mark
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

Gentlemen,
Could you provide a little more detail on the scene you're referencing with Luther without giving up the movie? I haven't seen it yet.
Mucho thanks!
Steve Pacholl

Post by Steve Pacholl »

I caught the cigareet scene too and found it interesting. There are a number of sight references throughout the movie. One I wish they would have covered more was the Glen Sherly reference. When cash is going through his fan mail after "drying out", one the of the letters is from Glen. I was expecting a scene with Glen during the Folsom concert scenes, but there was no other reference.

The scenes that bothered me was those with Waylon. In the scene with June throwing the beer bottles (in the book it says Coke), Waylon is in the group. I don't remember when this actually happened, but if it was during the Sun tours Waylon would not have been in the group. He would have been with Buddy Holly. I don't recall how much time Waylon spent touring with Cash in the early 60's if at all. Also the later scene in the apartment, Waylon is picking the guitar. They have Shooter looking like Shooter rather than looking like his dad would have looked in 1965. Shooter looked more like his dad of the mid 70's.

Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

As the 60's wore on and the band was augmented by the guitar work of Carl Perkins, Luther and Carl formed a tight ensemble, perfectly demonstrated on the newly enhanced CD, Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison. Unfortunately, it was to be Luther's last significant role as he perished in a house fire in August 1968. He fell asleep with a lighted cigarette in his hand and died a couple of days later without ever regaining consciousness. He is buried at Woodlawn East Memorial Park in Hendersonville, Tennessee.

Such was Johnny's love for the man that he continued to send his widow Luther's pay cheque for six months after his death. Carl Perkins took over Luther's duties until the arrival of Bob Wootten, a Tulsa, Oklahoma native who'd studied the licks of Luther note for note.
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

"inside joke" was not exactly what I meant to say-no Humour in it at all.- rather "an ironic reference for those in the know" would have stated it more clearly...

Marlin.. it was just a passing "scene on a tour bus" sequence- no spoiler for the movie<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 10 March 2006 at 08:33 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

My favorite scene was when he turned into himself in the Sun session after getting told off by Sam Phillips. He asked Sam if he had anything against the Air Force. Sam said "no" and Johnny sorta sneered at him and said " I do" and kicked off Folsom Prison.

------------------
Bob
upcoming gigs
My Website

Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

I did get that reference to Luther and the lit cigarette right away.

This movie shows more to me every time I watch it.

If you have the DVD (collectors edition), take the time to watch the movie with the directors commentary. Very interesting. Much of these scenes were written based on the writers interviews with John and June both. Many things uncovered in the movie were not found in the previous accounts of John's life. It is explained by the director that John and June told the events that were once private were now being told because they "felt the time was finally right..and they werte now ready to open up these topics in their lives"

The move took four years to write and about 53 days to film.

This movie moves me in ways that have everyting to do with no having a better understanding of the songs, John/June and the relationship between all three.

more to follow..........
RMckee

Post by RMckee »

I noticed that as well and pointed it out to my son. My son was incredulous at the roster of stars that began at Sun Records. I liked the movie but I did think it was extremely disturbing overall. When you get beyond the 'star' glamour their lives were really sad.

Randy
scott c anderson

Post by scott c anderson »

I also caught the quick snipet reference to the cigarette being snuffed out on the bus.....and yes, it was a bit eerie.... A very excellent movie, and pretty accurate portrayal of some very interesting people. I have heard a couple disparities tho, on a couple things...one that John's relationship with his Dad was not nearly as strained in real life, as was portrayed in the movie. It is said that they "mended their fences" years before.

I was fortunate enough to see the movie opening night here in the Metro Detroit area, and on the BIG screen it was fabulous!!

Regarding Luther and his demise....what a tragedy. I read that he lived just a stone's throw from John, and it was a small cabin style "retreat" of his that he died in. John referred to it in his autobiography. Gee, looking back now, how many times has this happened with the "Giants" in Country Music. Luther with Johnny, Don Rich with Buck, Joe E. Lewis with Conway..... Some of the respective "signature sound" definitely died with these fine gentlemen.

Also John spent quite a few pages recalling the tragedy of his friend Roy Orbison, losing his wife, and son, I believe in the same fashion....and they lived in a home which is now on the Cash family compound on Caudill Drive in Hendersonville. John said he often visited the place where the home once stood, and nothing remains there today save for some foundation blocks and a chimney. Heavy stuff. But then, if you have read up much on John...he was a very "heavy" kind of guy too.

I just wish the movie could have continued on down the timeline a few more years at least...maybe til the mid to late seventies, so that a few very important milestones in his career could have been touched on.

Maybe there's hope for a sequel?? :^)

Scott
Gary Harris

Post by Gary Harris »

Roy Orbison's wife died in a motorcycle accident. She was driving her bike. Two of the Orbison boys were playing with some hair spray bottles and were lighting the spray. They were killed and the house burnt as best as I can remember. The grandparents were looking after the children.
One of the surviving boys was a friend of one of my sons. He came to my house once and I told him how much I enjoyed his father's music. Roy had a heart attack while visiting his mother here in Hendersonville. Winn Stewart also died here in Hendersonville and of course Johnny and June Cash.