Lilly's white lies?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Terry Sneed

Lilly's white lies?

Post by Terry Sneed »

I heard this song this mornin for the first time in years. I can't remember who sang it, but always did like his voice. anybody remember?
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Terry it was Martin Del Ray. That was his stage name. Can't remember his correct birth name tho. Ray

------------------
Ray Qualls
President(KSGA) www.rayqualls.com

Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

Martin DelRay was the singer I recall him doing this song in the early/mid-nineties. Buck Reid played steel on the road with him for a brief time. He also had a video hit with a remake of Cash's: Get Rhythm. I can't recall what label he was on at the time. Hope this limited bit of info helps.

Tommy Minniear

Ray, we must've been typing at about the same time----you beat me by a minute...hehe<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tommy M on 27 January 2006 at 12:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

I was too slow...must be getting old!Martin was on Atlantic Records-good Tele player too!

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~steves_garage

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Steve Hinson on 27 January 2006 at 12:06 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Steve Hinson on 27 January 2006 at 12:08 PM.]</p></FONT>
andy sainio

Post by andy sainio »

Hi Terry!

It was Martin Delray.

Have a nice day.

Best wishes,Andy.
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

Man, Ray & Steve......we are on it ain't we! Your right Steve....he played pretty good Tele. He ran it thru two Peavey Bandits if memory serves me correctly.

Back to you Ray.......or Steve....or Harold Hensley.....or Andy

Tommy Minniear<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tommy M on 27 January 2006 at 12:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
andy sainio

Post by andy sainio »

Hi Steve!

Talk about bein' slow,ha!

Martin's real name is Mike Martin.

Best wishes,Andy.
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

He's now a golf (tennis?) pro but has started singing once in a while again in the last couple of years.
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

The "Get Rhythm" album has a bunch of other good tunes and Sonny Garrish steel.
If you see a copy of it, buy it.
I saw him perform live one evening and could he ever sing and play that Tele.
I have his second album around here somewhere, it's good too.

I'm told that he was from Arkansas.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Cobb on 27 January 2006 at 06:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Well, I guess he's known nationwide.haha David he lived in NW Arkansas around Rogers & Springdale. I never heard of him til he recorded but We just never ran into each other while I lived down there. I did get to see him one year in Decatur, Arkansas after he had made his record.

------------------
Ray Qualls
President(KSGA) www.rayqualls.com

David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

I remember Ray, it was you that told me he was an Arkansas boy. Image
Connie Burton

Post by Connie Burton »

I am a fan of Martin Delray. Danny Jones played with him some.
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

yep, that's the name. I should have rememberd his name since I'm from Ar.
I remember the get rythem video now that ya'll mentioned it.
golf/tennis pro??!! If I could sing and play tele like him I don't think I'd be interested in tennis or golf for makin a livin. Image

Terry

------------------
Mullen D10 /8x5 / session 500rd/ American Strat Highway 1 model
steelin for my Lord

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 28 January 2006 at 02:34 PM.]</p></FONT>
Kenny Burford

Post by Kenny Burford »

Another great song Martin had on the same album with "Lily's White Lies" was "The Silence Says It All." The man can sing.
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

I agree with you, Kenny!

Gotta go, I have a Rascal Flatts CD in the microwave.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Cobb on 29 January 2006 at 07:05 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

Terry, Mike and I shared the 6 string duties in a show group in Bermuda for a whole month. Mike was on the tennis courts every day, and the rest of us were sailing, mopeding, or shoplifting. Anyway, I thought and hoped Mike would go further than he did. But what a big voice from a little guy. Anyone wanna blackmail him, I have the tape.
Larry Garrett

Post by Larry Garrett »

Hey Terry,
Mike Martin, aka: Martin Del Ray is from Centerton, Arkansas, just west of Bentonville on Highway 102, where his dad Raymond Martin ran the State Fish Hatchery. We were neighbors (4 miles apart in rural communities is neighbors, right?) Anyway, we went to Bentonville High School in the mid 60's. He was class of '67 and I the class of '66.
We began playing guitar about the same time and played together some, but soon he was playing circles around me. He teamed up with another guy and they performed at school assemblies and other things and became pretty popular locally.
I hadn't seen him for several years after we graduated and didn't know he was pursuing music.
It was a pleasant surprise for me to see him on the "Get Rythm" video with Johnny Cash and "Lillie's White Lies" was a great song as well as a successful video. The last time I talked to him (a few years now) he was heading to Europe but he didn't say for how long.
I never did ask how he came up with the name Martin Del Ray but figured it came from combining his dad's and mom's. Maybe so, maybe not.
Larry
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Thanks Larry for the info. I really beleive martin Del-Ray could have gone as far as he wanted to in country music.(or maybe he did) What a voice!! Image
ps- He's not any kin to Mark Martin(the Great Nascar driver) is he?

Terry

------------------
Mullen D10 /8x5 / session 500rd/ American Strat Highway 1 model
pickin for Jesus

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 10 February 2006 at 03:28 PM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Garrett

Post by Larry Garrett »

Terry,
I don't know if he's related to Mark or not, but I suppose it's possible. I don't know where his folks were from originally nor do I know anything about Mark so your guess is as good as mine. I agree that he has a great voice and he can play the fire out of that old Telecaster.
Larry