? Re The Jones Boys circa 1960's

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

GaryHoetker

? Re The Jones Boys circa 1960's

Post by GaryHoetker »

Please identify the key sidemen. Do they still perform? Thanks.
Jason Powers

Post by Jason Powers »

Gary,
According to the spoken introductions on the "George Jones Live at the Louisiana Hayride" CD the 1960's Jones Boys consisted of Charlie Carter on guitar, Sonny Curtis on steel, Charlie Justice on fiddle, and Freddie Haws on drums. on the CD, George introduces the Jones Boys just before he sings "Things Have Gone To Pieces" Jason
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Hal Rugg also played for George for awhile back in the '60s.
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

You might be interested to know the the "Jonesy" Theme Song the Jones Boys came on with during that time, was written by Hal Rugg and George Jones, during the time Hal was with George.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

My friend Jimmy Peppers was the band manager in the late 60's (and early 70's). He also sang harmony with George. Jimmy wrote "Playing Possum" and "Tonight I just don't give a damn" for George.

Jimmy is basically retired (a musician never completly retires) and lives near me in Florida. I've done three CD Albums with Jimmy in the last three years - two all his own compositions and one a George Jones tribute album (that he got George's blessing for).

TWo of the Justice brothers live near me. One is a fiddle player but I don't remember his first name. I know he worked with Paycheck and several others in Nashville. The other brother, Tony, is a bass picker. They also have a brother that is with Mel Tillis. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 04 January 2006 at 11:27 AM.]</p></FONT>
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

For certain, Sonny Curtis was with Jones in December 1968. I spent time with him in Duluth Minnesota that year.
Phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

Chuck Cusimano

Post by Chuck Cusimano »

Also, James Holly played bass for George Jones back in 1973 (I know), but not sure when he went to work with "The Possum" or when he left. I met James Holly, Freddie Haws, and Charlie Carter in 1973 in the Dallas Tx area, and we even played a few gigs together when they were in the area, and not on the road with George, and Tammy. I know Charlie Carter stayed with Tammy until her death. He's still in the Dallas area, and I talk with him occasionaly. Great memories. I'm pretty sure Charlie Justis was on Fiddle, and Sonny Curtis was on Steel, but didn't get to know them fellers.
Jason Powers

Post by Jason Powers »

Oops, I forgot about James Hollie, who according to George's book, played bass with him for 14 years. I have the album with "Cuttin' A Rugg" & "Jonesy" on it, which was released in about 1963 or 64 on the United Artists label. BTW, does anybody have a copy of the Jones Boys band album on Musicor? I would LOVE to hear it, but it's really, really scarce.
Kenny Burford

Post by Kenny Burford »

I thought Johnny Paycheck and the Adams Brothers also worked with Jones sometime during the 60s or 70s.
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

the Adams brothers were on the Live @ Dancetown 1965
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Buddy was on that album too. It is a good album.
Per Kammersgaard

Post by Per Kammersgaard »

I understand, that Ron Gaddis has left the Jones Boys after more than 25 years. Does anyone know what he is doing now. Also - I know he's been on bass for many years, but didn't he start out on lead in the Jones Boys ?
He has a real fine soloalbum out on Southland with Jones, Porter Wagoner, Leon Rauchs and exwife Lorrie Morgan as guests.

PK<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Per Kammersgaard on 05 January 2006 at 01:01 AM.]</p></FONT>
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

I think Ron is hanging out in Louisville Ky. now days. Gary Boggs played steel for George from around 1969 through about 1976...
Hook

------------------
www.HookMoore.com
Graham

Post by Graham »

Jason:
I have that lp that you speak of. Pop into the Steel Guitar chat room sometime and I'll play some cuts off it for you. It is a vocal lp with singing by Charlie Carter, James Holley and George himself on 2 songs.

As you mentioned, it is a very hard lp to come by. I paid $100.00 U.S. for it on Ebay.

------------------
Rebel™
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Tony Farr

Post by Tony Farr »

I also worked with George Jones back in the early 60's, around 62 or 63, just before I moved to Minneapolis,Mn. Along with myself, was, Georgie Riddle, Jerry Star, Adams Boys and Gleen Davis. We were playing with Jones at the Panther Hall in Ft Worth when my steelguitar and amp got stole.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Classic Jones Boys (1960s-mid 1970s)

The first permanent member was George Riddle who joined Jones on harmony vocals and rhythm guitar in 1960. He stayed with Jones for four years and eventually got to sing and play on his records. At this point they used local bands as they toured.

In 1962 Jones bought his first tour bus and formed the first Jones Boys with Riddle (guitar, vocals), Billy Wayne (steel), Jerry Star (lead guitar, ex-Wanda Jackson), Gary Prawl (aka Gary Parker) on bass and Glen Davis on drums. (I believe the same Davis who was with the Opry band in the 1990s).

Billy Wayne split and I think that's when Tony came in.

Tony wrote: I also worked with George Jones back in the early 60's, around 62 or 63, just before I moved to Minneapolis,Mn. Along with myself, was, Georgie Riddle, Jerry Star, Adams Boys and Glen Davis. We were playing with Jones at the Panther Hall in Ft Worth when my steel guitar and amp got stole.

In 1963 Tony was gone, and Hal Rugg was on steel.
While with George Jones, Rugg recorded his first real session in Nashville. The album The Best of George Jones actually included two instrumentals; "Cuttin' a Rug" and "Jonesy."
Rugg wrote: As a result of that project, the label Jones was signed with (owned by Papply Daily out of Houston) became my first major account and gave me enough work to keep me off the road. Besides George, I recorded with Benny Barnes, Floy Tillman, Country Johnny Mathis, and we did an album with Gene Pitney.
In 1963 he left to join the Grand Ole Opry and worked staff there until 1979.

Circa 1963 the Jones Boys were Johnny Paycheck with the Adams brothers, Glen Davis and steel player Jimmie Crawford.
Crawford knew Paycheck from the Ohio scene in the 1950s.

Around this time Gary Adams and Johnny Paycheck are in the group. Johnny Paycheck switches to steel while Gary goes to guitar while Glen Davis (drums) is still in the group.

In 1964 Sonny Curtis (steel) joins the group, Sonny's first professional job was working with Bobby Bare in a Wellston, Ohio, club in the 1950s. During that period he also worked with Donny Young and after Young left for Nashville Curtis continued to work the Ohio club scene. Some demo/home-made recordings involving Sonny made it's way to George Jones who hired him into the the Jones Boys of Charley Justice, Don, Gary and Arnie Adams.
Their first gig was a 1964 Jimmy Dean television show in New York City (ABC).
There's a pic of Sonny, George, Johnny Paycheck, Jerry Starr and Charlie Justice on the Jimmy Dean Show alongside Glen Davis.
I think it's on Sonny's website.

The Jones Boys album Country & Western Songbook (Musicor MS-3017) 1964, included Sonny Curtis on steel, Curtis would play on all of Jones recordings for Musicor through 1964-1969.

In 1964 Jones has an uptempo hit with ‘The Race Is On.’ Bandmember Donny Young (later known as Johnny Paycheck) even sang harmony vocals on Jones’ “The Race Is On” in 1964 and on “Love Bug” The album with those tracks also featured Sonny Curtis on steel.

* It appears that in 1965 Sonny must have vacated the steel for a stint, Buddy Emmons and possibly Paycheck did the steel role inbetween them both.
See below:
George Jones's George Jones Live at Dancetown USA (ACE CDCHM 156) not in print.
1. Untitled Instrumental - The Jones Boys
2. One More Time - Don Adams
3. White Lightning
4. Something I Dreamed
5. Aching, Breaking Heart
6. We Must Have Been Out of Our Minds - George Jones & Don Adams
7. The Window Up Above
8. Bony Maronie
9. She Thinks I Still Care
10. Rio City Chimes - The Jones Boy featuring Buddy Emmons
11. Accidentally On Purpose
12. Who Shot Sam
13. Intermission Riff - The Jones Boys
14. Untitled Instrumental - The Jones Boys
15. Please Talk to My Heart - Don Adams
16. Sing a Sad Song - Don Adams
17. Panhandle Rag - Buddy Emmons
18. Act Naturally - Don Adams
19. Ragged But Right
20. Poor Man's Blues
21. Tender Years
22. Where Does a Little Tear Come From
23. Jole Blon - George Jones featuring Rufus Thibideaux
24. Big Harlan Taylor
25. She's Lonesome Again
26. The Race is On

There have been very few live recordings of George Jones, particularly of his early years, which makes Live at Dance Town USA so valuable. Recorded in June of 1965, the compact disc features 26 tracks -- including nine songs performed by Jones' supporting vocalist Don Adams -- that capture Jones running through his biggest hits, plus a couple of left-field covers like "Bony Moronie" and "Jole Blon." Jones is wired and energetic, breathing fire into the songs; one of the biggest joys of the entire disc is his between-song patter, such as when he tells the audience that he's taking a "liquor mission" halfway through the set. Not only is the music superb -- on this date, the Jones Boys featured steel guitarist Buddy Emmons and Cajun fiddler Rufus Thibodeaux -- but it illustrates exactly what a honky tonk concert was like in the '60s. For hardcore George Jones fans, it's an essential addition, one that's revelatory and highly entertaining.
This recording is a must for anyone into honky tonk music, Possum, or the Big E! It captures a live Texas dance hall performance "in the rough" from 1965; George Jones with the Jones Boys featuring Don Adams on vocals, with guests Buddy Emmons and cajun fiddler Rufus Thibodeaux. Intended originally to be a live album, but with quirks and flaws that made it "unreleasable" in 1965, it sat on a shelf for over 20 years until released by ACE Records, an English lable. A valuable honky tonk archival document.

George sings great, but is seemingly flustered by the pressure of the live recording. There are several instances where patron requests and PA announcements interrupt the flow of the show, and a classic moment where George announces the band will break for "a liquor-mission.. er, intermission."

Sonny eventually returns.
George Jones and the Jones Boys in 1965 Sonny Curtis, Jerry Starr (guitar), George Jones, Charlie Justice (fiddle), Johnny Paycheck (bass) and Glen Davis (drums)

In 1966 Johnny Paycheck left the group to concentrate on his solo career, Sonny Curtis also did a 1966 session for Paycheck, the rest of the group may have been involved.

It was 1966. George Jones and the Jones Boys would tour in a bus, George would fly in when possible. Between shows the Jones Boys sold albums
August 1966 the group included the typical five piece band - drums, steel, fiddle, electric guitar and electric bass. George played acoustic guitar. The Jones Boys were Sonny Curtis (steel), Jack Watkins, Dave Hall, Charley Justice (fiddle) and a drummer.
(info gained from signed LP I saw, but could not afford.. at a fair)

Sometime in 1966-1967 Jack Solomon (lead guitar) joins.

In 1967 he opens the Possum Holler Nightclub in Nashville on Lower Broadway St. The Jones Boys played there fairly regularly, especially as Jones was touring infrequently at this point.

In 1968 guitarist Solomon marries Jones’ duet partner Melba Montgomery.
The Jones Boys Jack Soloman, Sonny Curtis, James Holley, George, Freddie Haws and Charlie Justice.

The 1968 into 1969 group featured bassist James Hollie (who’d worked with Wynn Stewart in Texas), Freddie Haws (drums), both from Dallas, Charlie ‘Grumpy’ Justice (fiddle), and Sonny Curtis (steel); both from Ohio, as well as another Texan Charlie Carter on lead guitar.

With Tammy Wynette on tour with them, they added Patsy Sledd on harmony vocals, Tammy left due to her pregnancy later in 1969, while in early 1969 Jim Ebert (piano) was added.

The Jones Boys’ album My Boys, the Jones Boys (Musicor MS-3182) 1970, with Sonny Curtis (steel). Presumable it includes James Hollie, Haws, Justice, Ebert and Sledd

Chuck Cusimano's recollection of the band in 1973 seems to fit in nicely.

Tammy left George in December 1974, and by January 1975 the band of James, Hollie, Haws, Justice, Curtis, Ebert and Sledd joined her solo show.
=================
Hook.
About Gary Boggs playing steel for George from around 1969 through about 1976... that's Still Sonny's era, unless he was a temp or something.

Jason Powers, the band you mention takes place some time around 1965-67.. seems to have been a few line-up changes through that period.

Would love any additions or corrections at this point, I've always meant to email Sonny and ask him.

Chuck Cusimano

Post by Chuck Cusimano »

Wow!... That's a bunch of interesting history! Great post!

Here's a little funny. This actually happened. I moved away from the Dallas area, and had become a full time musician in Lubbock Tx, and had the prevledge of attending the 1973 Awards Show, Fan Fair, Steel Guitar Convention.....It was all at the same time back then, and went back stage of the Rhyman to see my friends, Charlie Carter, Freddy Haws, and James Holley (with Jones/ Wynette show ), and Charlie Carter introduced me to GEORGE JONES, as his (Charlie's) favorite Country singer. George asked if him if I signed Charlies checks, and without missing a beat, Charlie said "Well, he's my SECOND favorite Country Singer." George didn't seem too impressed with me, but I've always been impressed with him.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Classic!

------------------
Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.

Joe Shelby

Post by Joe Shelby »

Jason, amazing gathering of Jones' Boys information.
The Musicor years are probably the most vast
and under-represented in the re-release market, just MHO. Some have mentioned that this period is rather inconsistent in terms of performance quality. There is so much material that you could easily come up with a box set of the best stuff, maybe several box sets.
Sonny Curtis played wonderful stuff in this
period; I wish I could remember a few titles of the lesser-known recordings.
The "Live at Dancehall USA" is interesting
and rare, the band never quite hits their stride, but its still worth hearing and probably one of the few complete George Jones
shows from the '60's. I only have the vinyl
version, which has only about half of the listed songs that appear on the CD release.

Joe.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Ideally with someone of Jones' stature I'd like to see CD reissues of his albums like the Buck Owens ones on Sundazed, or even twofer sets like Koch, BGO and other reissue labels do.

A nice two or three volume set of the rare singles and b-sides would be cool as well.

How about a deluxe reissue of his rare 1956 debut album on Starday with extra material from the same period (rare singles, outtakes, etc).. ol' George could do with decent reissues instead of some of the shonk that's out there now.

Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that during the George/Tammy days...due to a contractual thing Curly Chalker did the steel on their recordings and not Sonny Curtis...I think it was in some article about Sonny in a Steel guitar mag
Tony
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Just a short word about Billy Wayne and Hal. Billy worked with a singer from Iowa by the name of Bobby Hankins. He then left to work with George. Hal took Billy's place with Bobby and then left to work with George.