Just back from Nashville

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Kevin Lange

Just back from Nashville

Post by Kevin Lange »

My wife Kathy and I returned last night from another very enjoyable trip to Nashville. Our son Eddie Lange (steel player) has been there for almost 2 years and is having a great time living and working there. This was our 4th trip since Aug. '03 and once again as a player/singer I was quite impressed with the level of talent working in the nightclubs. As a fan of classic and traditional country music, I was pleased to see that much of the live music that's played, at least in the places I was in, was straight-up country music. On Thur. the 14th Eddie worked with Earl Clark at the Hotel Preston. Nice venue, great music. Eddie has gone to work for The Wrights, so on Fri. the 15th we drove over to Knoxville to listen to them. The time they performed was changed at the last minute so we only got to hear about 4 or 5 tunes. They are a great act and very nice people. They leave tomorrow on Wednesday to do some dates with Alan Jackson. They're doing 40+ dates with Alan this year. Saturday, we just visited with Eddie, took in a couple of Nashville sights, then wound up the evening at Legend's Corner listening to the great country sounds of Gary Gibson with Eddie on steel. Sunday, another Gary Gibson show. By he way,Gary is a great country singer and all around nice guy. Also on Sunday, former Texas Troubadors, Lynn Owsley and Ronnie Dale stopped by Legend's on their way through town. They got up and worked their way a set of some great tunes. Lynn told me they're bringing their tribute show to the Wisconsin/Minnesota area this late summer or early this fall. Be on the lookout for that. It should be great. All in all another fun trip to Music City USA. Can't wait for the next one. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Kevin Lange on 19 April 2005 at 05:16 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Hey, Kevin & Kathy! Tell Eddie I said, Hi and congratulations on the gig! Sounds great! I'm glad he's still pickin'.

We'll be doing a bunch of Shotgun Red dates along with our own this year. Maybe we'll run into each other somewhere along the way.

If you happen to hear if Lynn is coming thru MN, drop me a line. (Thanks!) I'm in and out a lot, so most times, I feel out of the loop. This week is Wyoming. (Yikes!)

------------------
My best,
Ernie
www.buddyemmons.com

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

It's great to hear Eddie got the gig with "The Wrights". Doing a package show with Alan isn't to shabby. Image

Lucky Eddie! Image I hope we start hearing more on the radio from "The Wrights"!

Theresa
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Hey Kevin, thanks for the update. We met Eddie last fall and had a great time seeing him play downtown. He's a great player and no doubt has excellent opportunties in front of him.

Playing with the Wrights is awesome...

oh..and he's a pretty cool dude too...

t<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 20 April 2005 at 06:15 AM.]</p></FONT>
Lefty Schrage

Post by Lefty Schrage »

hi Kevin, Kathy, & Harry - It's great to hear Eddie is doing lots of picking and sure sounds like he's getting some good opportunities. Be sure to tell him 'hi' from the NE IA Steel Guitar Jam gang! ...lefty
Dean Dobbins

Post by Dean Dobbins »

Hey Kevin-
It's great to hear Eddie's doing so good! His "Awnt" must be as proud of him as you are! (I HAD to say that)! Eddie is a fantastic young man, and monster Steel picker! Great personality,(meaning he ain't quite as purty as I am)' but I love him, and his whole family dearly. A note: if his "little" brother ever learns to play drums, he'll be DANGEROUS! (If you don't believe me, just ask Herby Wallace, but that's another story).

------------------
Dino
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Eddie sounded great at our N.T.S.G.A. Super Jam on April 5, ’05, with his Red Laquer Williams!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’49-’50 Fender T–8 Custom
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
Dennis Atkins

Post by Dennis Atkins »

Hi Kevin and Kathy, and Harry. Glad to hear you had a great time in Nashville with Eddie. I sure miss you guys, and I hope that we can see you all when Gail and I get back to Minnesota in late August and early September.

It seems like only yesterday that I first met you all at Suneson's Music Store, and Eddie played his first steel show for us at the age of 15. He was real good then, and I know that he is even better now. It sounds like he is doing real good in Nashville, and I know that the Alan Jackson tour is coming to Denver. I guess I will have to try to get a ticket and go see Eddie. If I miss him, be sure to give him my best regards. If you talk to him, give him my number, and maybe we can talk on the phone: (719) 382-6669 Home, 719-291-1393 Cell.

Best to you all, and tell Bob I said HI.

Dennis and Gail

------------------
MSA S-10 Sidekick
Gorilla Amp with Digitech RP100 Processor
pedalman@msn.com
www.geocities.com/mnpedalman/index.html

Randy Hess

Post by Randy Hess »

Hi Kevin,
It was a pleasure meeting you & Kathy at Legends. Eddie's a fine player & such a nice guy (except he's too young to be as good as he is). I can see he was raised well. Hope to see you the next time you're in town.