Is Excessive Vibrato Patriotic?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

David Mason

Is Excessive Vibrato Patriotic?

Post by David Mason »

I was watching bits and pieces of the Inaugural yesterday, and I noticed that every time people started singing, they used this really wide, dopplering vibrato technique. Even the Marine Choir (or whoever those people in the captain's hats were) were doing this, all in unison. This doesn't seem to be a gospel thing, as those folks usually sing pretty much spot-on the note. I've noticed this too when people are singing the National Anthem at football games: "Oh-wo say can you see-ee-ee-ee, by the dawn's early li-ay-ay-ay-ayt", all this woo-wooing stuff. If a steel player tried playing like that, the band would break his fingers or cut off his bar tab or hand him a b@njo and make him go stand in the corner. Is there some rule that says vibrato denotes passionate love of country or something? I had to turn the sound down there, for a while.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Mason on 22 January 2005 at 01:49 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

maybe it was your TV set ?

t
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

It was cold there. They were just shivering.

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR=BLACK><P ALIGN=left>Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

This from the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta GA:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>The medical term for this debilitating condition is "BGS," an acronym for "Brothers Gibb Syndrome." It is also commonly referred to as "Bee Gee's Disease."

The malady manifests itself behaviorally, and was first discovered in the late 1960's in Great Britain. The epidemic peaked in the mid-1970's, coincidentally with the rise in disco-based music.

The cause is unknown, and since the condition generally is not considered terminal, very little research is dedicated to eradicating this disease.

However, the devastation seems to be greatest on those people geographically closest to the vector, as the disease affects the host to a far lesser extent than it does to the listeners of same.</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 21 January 2005 at 06:41 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

I thought it was called the "Stevie Nicks" syndrome.....
Bob Markison

Post by Bob Markison »

Indeed. Miles Davis and Charlie Parker (among other seasoned pioneers) considered vibrato to be an impediment to creative music making at any tempo. Dinah Shore's vibrato could shift the tectonic plates. I have to stick with Miles and Bird on this one. Just a rare trace of vibrato should do the job. David's point is well taken, and I am deighted to see Herb's medical reference. I suppose Freud would see vibrato as a regressive, irrepressible impossible-to-sublimate, somewhat pitiful cry.
Wayne Carver

Post by Wayne Carver »

I thought it was something the boy bands started. Whitney Houstin didn't use to do it but now she does. Most of the singers on the "American Idol" tv show do this also.
Terry Edwards

Post by Terry Edwards »

Alison krauss - no vibrato.

Doesn't get any better!

Terry
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Canadian reference: Get Sylvia Tyson, Lucille Starr and Buffy St. Marie all on the same stage and the sheep will be returning for miles.
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Don't forget Dolly, 'specially in the early days!
Thomas Bancroft

Post by Thomas Bancroft »

Is that Dolly the Sheep or Dolly the Parton?
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Even an old farm boy like me knows the difference between Dolly Parton and a sheep.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

I don't think anyone has ever topped Guy Lombardo's sax section for irritating vibrato. They always sounded like each one was riding a jack hammer while playing.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Image ...

Guess y'all aren't big fans of early Hawaiian steel guitar ...

Maybe alittle ... Dick McIntire backing Ray Kinney ... will remedy that Image Image

------------------
<font size=1> Aiello's House of Gauss</font>

<font size=1>
My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield</font>

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 21 January 2005 at 11:52 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Tarzan, now there's a guy that knew vibrato!
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

"le-eh-eh-eh-et the-ee Ea-ee-ee-ee-gle so-oh-oh-oar..."

yikes!
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

David..you're very aware.....Sheep pretty much don't play the Banjo...

uh oh....I said Banjo... .

t
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

Hey, some of us like Johnny Bush !
-John
p.s. He's my favourite Bush.
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

I heard a DJ here refer to Toby Keiths vibrato as the kind you can throw a football through.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Blame it on the Italians:

"Bel canto (Italian, beautiful singing voice) a lyrical, smooth vocal style associated with eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century Italian professional singers and designed to show off the singer's voice, the term first appears in Vaccai's ariette da camera (before 1840); the vocal style associated with the works of Rossini, Bellini and Donizetti"
Chris Lasher

Post by Chris Lasher »

Like Frank, I guess, I thought this was going to be another Toby Keith bashing thread. Oops, did I just open up a new can of worms? Image
<SMALL>Alison krauss - no vibrato.</SMALL>
That's actually an incorrect statement. Alison uses vibrato, for certain. She uses it in places that I've not heard any other singer use it, though, and as such, has a very subtle effect. It's most always on passing notes, and often on very brief ones. It's there, though; just gotta listen for it. Check out "Living Prayer" or "Restless" off AKUS's new album, Lonely Runs Both Ways.

Anyway, it's more like a warble of a beautiful songbird than ridiculous operatic vibrato, though. Melts me every time... *sigh* Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Chris Lasher on 21 January 2005 at 08:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
Derek Duplessie

Post by Derek Duplessie »

The republicans have a tendency of getting either washed up celebs. (Michael Bolten, Bo derek, etc.) or performers that have no talent. Thus the reason the singers have annoyingly excessive vibrato.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Mel Torme, Bing (young) ...

All known for exquisite vibrato ...

I find them captivating ... Image