Elementary Theory Question

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Lawrence Sullivan

Elementary Theory Question

Post by Lawrence Sullivan »

I am looking for a book on elementary theory of chord formation, or fret position really, for steel guitar. I would like something that is very simple for a begineer that takes me a little past the major chords as I know those.
My musical interests are old country and pop from the 40's 50's and 60's, and although I enjoy listening to music that is much more advanced played by the Great Ones, I never expect to attempt to play or understand it.
I assume the more accomplished a person becomes, the more sounds you seek out, but at 63 yrs old and just starting out, my only hope is to get to the point my wife can take her earmuffs off while I am doing my thing, so I am a believer in the KISS theory.
Thanks for this forum and thanks for any information.
Larry

C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

OK lawrence,

Rather than bore you with a lot of theory gobbldygook, simply try the following if you have at least an S-10 E9th neck; with the standard knee levers and standard 3 pedals.

Begin at any key fret say F at the first fret. And do the following:

1. Pick strings 4, 5 and 6.

2. As the strings sustain, engage the B and C pedals.

3. Slide up two frets.

4. Pick the same strings and slide up 3 more frets and using no pedals let the strings sustain.

5. Slide up two more frets.

6. Repick the same strings and engage the B and C pedals.

7. Slide up 5 frets and engage he B pedal and the knee lever that lowers your E's.

8. As your strings sustain, let off the B pedal and the knee lever. If you did it correctly you are at the 13th fret.

Did you recognize the sound that every beginning student is taught when taking musical theory? Well if you didn't, do it again and again and again. Then do it in reverse beginning on the 13th fret and doing everything in reverse as you make your way to the first fret.

If you still do not recognize it do it again. When the time comes that you say, "why that is simply Do Re Me Fa Sol La Ti DO", you have learned more about music and our beloved steel guitar and what is all about than most of the steel players ever been.

Then build on THAT my friend, and as you do, you will begin to "see" and "hear" what is soooo elusive to so many.

Good luck and may Jesus richly bless you in your quests,

carl

John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I ordered a booklet called “The Anadomy Of A Steel Guitar” years ago from Tom Bradshaw, and it also included another booklet on ”Basic Theory” and “Chord Structure” which was very interesting and informative, although I had had some yrs. of musical training prior to that! I still have my copies of both articles! I don't know if they are still available or not.

------------------
“Big John” {(<< Uh~
http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I apologize for the shameless self promotion, but I wrote a book about this very subject. It's called "Music Theory In The Real World: A Practical Guide ForToday's Musicians. It's published by Mel Bay. You can see and read a little about it on my web site. www.mikeperlowin.com

Budd Kelley

Post by Budd Kelley »

Mike really did write that book - and I give it my recommendation. Not overly "wordy" and the information flows smoothly from one chord to another.

Buy two - one for you and one for a friend!
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

The Perlowin book is the one to get, and is definitely worth having in the home library.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

The best invstment I EVER made was for the "Mel Bay's Pedal Steel Guitar Chord Chart E9th tuning by Dewitt Scott". It cost me an almighty $1.95 at the time. Everytime I do a tab I consult it. It might still be available, I don't know for sure, but if it is, be sure and get your hands on it!!!
Erv
Lawrence Sullivan

Post by Lawrence Sullivan »

Thanks so much for all the replies and information, I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.
This forum is a gold mine of information to us begineers and everyone taking time to help us along.
I'll borrow Red Skeltons closing, May God Bless
Thanks again Larry
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Yes, the Mel Bay chord chart is still available, I think I got one from Tom B. or Scotty's.
If you have ever heard Mike P.'s music you can rest assured his book will be very useful.

And this forum is a Platinum Mine of info.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Thanks for the knd words, guys.

BTW, Scotty carries the book in his store. You can (and should) buy it from him.
Don Walters

Post by Don Walters »

<SMALL>The Perlowin book is the one to get, and is definitely worth having in the home library.</SMALL>
I agree completely!
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

I AGREE TOO, DON!!!