WSM intro tune? - mid-60's Ralph Emery talk show

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Mike Baxter

WSM intro tune? - mid-60's Ralph Emery talk show

Post by Mike Baxter »

Does anyone remember the name of the intro tune (and artists) for the mid-60's Ralph Emery late night talk show on WSM?

It featured a guitar and steel and was overdubbed by a NASA voice announcing a launch, "T minus 10, T minus 9, . . . " etc)

Thanks, Mike
Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

"Rose City Chimes" by Bobby Garrett?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 16 July 2003 at 03:17 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Larry: My gut reaction is that you are correct.....but something in the back of my head, where ever that may be, is saying Pete Drake and I can't recall the song either and it's well known. But then I thought Weldon Myrick had done Tears In Heaven so what do I know......

Regards, Paul Image Image Image
Mike Baxter

Post by Mike Baxter »

Bobby Garrett's "Rose City Chimes" was the answer I received from WSM when I wrote them in 1966.

I could never find the recording until recently - but unfortunately, it is not the tune I am looking for.

Mike
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

The Pete Drake thing is still bugging me....maybe I'll dream about it later tonight and remember what the title was.....

Regards, Paul Image
George Rozak

Post by George Rozak »

<SMALL>The Pete Drake thing is still bugging me....maybe I'll dream about it later tonight and remember what the title was.....</SMALL>
Paul...

Could you be thinking of "For Pete's Sake" by Pete? I believe that was the theme song used on the Opry for a number of years.

George

------------------
Sho-Bud: Professional & Fingertip

Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

No, George. It wasn't FPS because I used to play that and I'd recall it right away. It was, for lack of a better word, more cosmopolitan or progressive than that. Maybe Reggie Duncan will read this and ask Lloyd Green if he recalls what Pete played on that show...

<center> Image </center>

Regards, Paul
Johnny Roberts

Post by Johnny Roberts »

The theme song on Ralph's show was "RhodesBud Boogie", featuring Buddy Charleton and Leon Rhodes.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

<center> Image </center>
Mike Baxter

Post by Mike Baxter »

Thank you all VERY much for your help.

I haven't yet been able to find this tune locally - but I'll locate it eventually Image

Mike
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Rose City Chimes is on an Ernest Tubb LP called "Live at the Midnite Jamboree"

In talking with Buddy a few years back, we talked about that LP in detail...

It was NOT in fact a LIVE album..it was all studio and had dubbed in applause and Introductions..

I guess it ws like an early "concept album"...
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

Ralph Emery always opened his show with Bobby Garrett's "Rose City Chimes." Ralph was a fan of Bobby Garrett and loved the song. I don't ever recall hearing RhodesBud's Boogie played as an intro to Ralph Emery's show on WSM but I guess it could have. "For Pete's Sake" opened the Opry for years until someone deemed it either too country or a steel guitar instrumental and took it off.