100 Greatest Songs of Country Music

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Mike Brinkmeyer

100 Greatest Songs of Country Music

Post by Mike Brinkmeyer »

Here is a link to an alphabetical list of CMT's "100 Greatest Songs of Country Music" to be ranked in some order by a panel of CMT judges airing on June 8. Opinions? Obvious oversights? Unless I'm mistaken, looks like the Cherokee Cowboy has been overlooked again.
http://www.cmt.com/cmt/shows/100greatestsongs/vote.jhtml
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

They also missed "You And The Kitten" and "Mr. Egyptian".
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Looks like they did catch Will's, Davis, and Pierce but no Price

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

besides Ray Price there are some other glaring omissions...
Where's Walkin' the Floor?
where's Together Again?
where's You're So Cold I'm Turning Blue?
Where's Take an old cold tater and wait?
where's Little Pink Mack?
what about Little Rosa?
what about RAINBOW AT MIDNIGHT?
MR FOOL?
Relief is Just A Swallow Away?

<FONT SIZE=1
COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 03 June 2003 at 10:07 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 03 June 2003 at 10:12 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 03 June 2003 at 10:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Dave, Walking The Floor is on the list on the bottom left. There some songs I would not have put in there like "I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow." I do not see that song as a great song in country music.
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

And where is "In the little shirt my mother made for me" any one remember that? Image

------------------
Larry Robbins
Sho-Bud ProII,
Morrell lap steel,Reagl 75 dobro and Marshall half stack(I know,I know)

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

What a bunch of horse manure. "She's in love with the boy" Bullship. Crazy Arms ,City Lights.for the good times. Playboy ......Must have been donna summers picks.

------------------
O-O

Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

They had the top ten list on the Today Show this morning.
1- Stand by your man
2- He stoped loving her today
3- Crazy
4- Your cheatin' heart
They made a comment that the top 12 that were picked are all older songs the only two newer songs in the top 15 were "Friends in low places" and "Amarillo by morning".

The one song in the top ten that I didn't get was Glen Campbell's "Galveston". I think "Gentle on my mind" was a better song, and wasn't it the first song to be played a million times on the radio. I guess they had to get a song written by Jimmy Webb on the list.
A couple that I thought were missing would have been "Silver wings" and "Heartaches by the number". I don't think I've gone a week in the past 20 or 30 years with out having to play those two on stage.
I'm not tryin' to be a sexest toward female singers, but whats with all the lame chick songs on the list? There were about 30 chick songs on the list, but about ten of those are about the worse female songs ever recorded.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

What a bunch of baloney-to put it nicely. I wouldnt get too upset over their omissions of obviously great country songs and inclusion of obviously questionable songs. But it is irriating, isnt it ? Just a hype to get people to watch tv and probably the list was assembled by a cast of country music ignorants for the most part.
I didnt do a count, but there are alot of what I would call "comtemporary" so-called country songs that havent stood the test of time. It is all a matter of opinion anyway, and you know what they say about those-like armpits, everyone has one ! I tried to be nice throughout the post Image
Bob Anderson

Post by Bob Anderson »

There are only two counry songs in my life that hit me HARD. Sunday Morin' Comin Down & He Sopped Loving Her Today. The 3rd one would be "FOR THE GOOD TIMES"
Loy B Moore

Post by Loy B Moore »

Hank Snow's "Movin On" was # 1 for 21 weeks in 1950, "I Don't Hurn Anymore" was # 1 for 20 weeks in 1954. A lot of songs on the list never even made # 1. No Ray Price, and the wrong Webb Pierce song. Where was "Slowly" which was # 1 for 17 weeks and on the charts for 9 months in 1955. The same for Eddy Arnold who had "Bouquet of Roses" # 1 for 17 weeks and on the charts for 56 weeks in 1947 and they put him on the list for one of his"TV" hits of the mid 1960s. The list is a lot of "made for TV" politically correct horse hockey.
Tony LaCroix

Post by Tony LaCroix »

"Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning"

This may be the worst song I've ever heard. And it serves as an example of what is wrong with America- ignorance and apathy. "..the difference in Iraq and Iran"? Give me a freaking break...

Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

It would be interesting to know how they determined the list-what the criteria was, for example. In the 50s for a song to sel1 million copies was a bigger deal now than to sell that many. I have often thought that it would be interesting to convert those numbers to an index that would take into consideration the population at that time, and maybe some other factors. But I agree with you guys, Together Again should have been on there, and I am really surprised "Look at Us" wasnt listed. Night Life would have been a good choice. Heartaches by the Numbers, Crazy Arms, For the Good Times. I must admit I had never heard of about 10 of those songs listed. OH well, just sit down and make your own list of top 100 and be happy with it-your opinion is just as good as theirs were ! (probalby better)
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I just saw the show and liked it. To decide the 100 is a great task.

Hat's off to Hal being the staff steel player.
Good show!
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

Just goes to show you, we all have different taste; some of the songs I thought should have been on, some not even in my wildest dreams, and some good but not great songs. And, sadly, some great ones not on there; but then, I will be glad to come up with my list if they ever ask me. I guess thats the reason so many artist sell some many different records, many of which I would be glad to pay "not to have to listen to." Even in my band, I am not sure we could come up with 10 that everyone would agree on..
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I got in on the tail end of the show so I do not know what songs they placed in order. I am wondering why they had the McBride lady sing "Stand By Your Man." Personally I believe someone else could have done a better job. I do not keep up with a lot of the current country artists so I do not know who I would have recommended. Were there any Ray Price songs in the top 100? I usually disagree with a lot of the songs and ideas these people have who vote on these topics but they get paid for it and I don't.
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

Teresa...
I agree with your statement about "hats off to Hal". Hal is not only a great steel player, but a gentleman. Great job, Hal!

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Southwestern Steel Guitar Association

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Maybe it's just me but I don't have a ton of those selected in my collection.To chose many over "Crazy arms,farewell party,and all the Harlan Howard super hits...come on. Who picked the *&%$#n songs Dick Clark????Guitars and Caddilacs ImageI listened twice too make sure I wasn't dreaming the first time..O well I expected no less.He who expects nothing is never disapointed.

------------------
O-O

David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I put in a vote a few days back, but the list is just idiotic.
Even over here I would have expected to know 3/4 or more of the songs... not even close.

If they were choosing between 1,000 songs in alphabetical order and letting people look for something... THEN they might have a possiblly valid list.

Yes Gentle On My Mind should have been there for sure. And so many others. At least Acky Breaky Heart WASN'T on the list.

These I have not a clue about...
A few seem to be... if you can't line dance to it .. it ain't great.

"Boot Scootin’ Boogie"
"Breathe"
"Don’t Toss Us Away"
"I Hope You Dance"
"I’d Be Better Off in a Pine Box"
"Independence Day" "Is There Life Out There?"
"It’s Your Love" "Something in Red" "Strawberry Wine"
"Sweet Dreams"
Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>"I’d Be Better Off in a Pine Box"
</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>great song by Doug Stone
Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

Larry Robins...I expect there might be a lot of people thats never heard of "That Little Shrit My Mother Made For Me". You must be as old as me. I had to sing that song every time company came.

Bob
Ed Miller Jr

Post by Ed Miller Jr »

While we're at it, My hat is off the Deana Carter and Sara Evans for the Worst cover of Mama's don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys. Ms breathy Deana was just more that i could take. An again Leann Rhimes proved as long a she covered Patsy that audiences would enjoy it. I thought she did a good job.