Little Jimmy Dickens ballads

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

I met Jimmy Dickens in Big Rapids, Michigan when he played a show at the college. He is the nicest guy you want to meet. Yes, he sure did sing a beautiful ballad, makes tears come out of your eyes.

The reason I really went was because my good friend Jimmy Yates was playing steel with him.

He played about 52 dates on the Grand Old Opry and toured with Dickens quite a while.

He is a member of NTSA and is retired now living in Hendersonville, TN.

He has an original PP Emmons that he bought new in about 1968, with Midi pickups on both necks, that I wish I could afford to buy.

I was lucky enough to play it when he invited me to sit in with his great band in Phoenix , in 1972.

That PP has a real "Killer" tone that you can't believe. It even made me sound good..........al Image Image Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 02 July 2002 at 10:28 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 02 July 2002 at 10:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

If you ever happen to catch the video of Brad Paisley doing "I Love to Fish" you'll see Little Jimmy Dickens doing a cameo on the video. He doesn't seem to get any older!
Erv
Leroy Riggs

Post by Leroy Riggs »

Jason and Ron,

Did you guys get this CD of Jimmy? Like it?
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Hello Leroy;
No; i do not have the above mentioned CD -yet!!..I will get it somewhere as it sounds way toooo good to pass up...Ron
Gary Harris

Post by Gary Harris »

I believe it was back in the fifties that I spotted an Indy type racer parked at a business in Nashville. I stopped to take a look as well a few others. Jimmy Dickens was there and I was able to make small talk with him. He was very nice. I too love his music and of course the many band members that have made up his group over the years. The present steel player produces a sound different from all the other players however I don't care for his last chord he usually plays.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

<SMALL> I don't care for his last chord he usually plays. </SMALL>
What is that chord? (sounds like something I could use)<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Earnest Bovine on 23 July 2002 at 05:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tim Rowley

Post by Tim Rowley »

The chord of Pee Wee, of course.

Image Image Image
Tim R.
Jason Powers

Post by Jason Powers »

I just got around to ordering the CD that Leroy recommended. Should be arriving shortly. Anyone else have it? What do you think? Jason
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Bobby Boggs, you are not too young to remember, it's just that hair coloring you are using. hehe

I have the Jimmy Dickens "Songs I Love to Sing" and it is absolutely one of my favorite CD's. It's a keeper

Bill
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

Jason , I ordered the "Songs I Love to sing, shortly after Leroy Talked about it. I had The old record way back ,but wore it out, I still have the old album.

Jimmy Dickens Is one good singer, Wished he would`ve sang these allthe time rather than the "TATER" songs

I think you`ll be glad you bought it.

Luck and Enjoy.

Oh yes shortly after ,in June I visited My son who lives in Loveland,Co, contacted Leroy and had a short but nice viait with he and his sweet wife

R, L.
Jim Vogan

Post by Jim Vogan »

I've listened to Jimmy sing ballads since we both were young fellows. I don't think a ballad could ever have a better friend than Little Jimmy Dickens.

------------------
Jim Vogan Emmons Sd10
G.D. Walker Stereo Steel Combo
Bakelite Ric
Hilton volume pedal

Whip Lashaway

Post by Whip Lashaway »

When I think of Little Jimmy Dickens I always think of "Sleepin at the Foot of the Bed". My Dad and I used to harmonize on that kick off and break. It was always a fun song to do. My Dad is gone now, but, I still remember a lot of things we used to play together. He really liked the "old timers" on the Opry. Me too!
Whip

------------------
Whip Lashaway
Sierra E9/B6 12 string
Sierra E9/B6 14 string
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

"It was just an old used Sho~Bud;
for which I saved and scraped.

I bought it second handed, from a cat whose name was Drake.

I loved it like a woman, and cherished every wire.

And I'll kill the man whose sticky hands, stole my steel guitar.

I babied every pedal, and polished them each day;

'cause I had the only Sho~Bud, In Podunk Ioway.

I was King with all the women;
they wrote from near and far.."

Maybe someone can fill in the words or verses I forgot. Can't seem to find them on the 'net.

I don't know why, but Kitty Wells seemed to be the "female counterpart" with her "Dear John", "Mommy for a day", all the old standards etc.

"For your love for me has died, like the grass out on the lawn..."

Ya know, they just don't make 'em like they used to.

------------------
EJL63FLH
'78 Pro III Sho-Bud
'63FLH 90"Stroker
'80 Gold Wing
-Peavey: When it's *not* about "The Sound"-
"You can Smart Yourself Dumb.
Why Can't you Dumb yourself Smart?"-Me
"There are only so many ways to fry cat food."- Buster
"At my age, sometimes I run out of Adrenaline, but I've still got plenty of Gall.." -Me-
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Eric West on 30 November 2002 at 01:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Joe Delaronde

Post by Joe Delaronde »

Eric, Someone Stole My Steel Guitar.
Good stuff!!

Joe