Best of Austin City Limits 3-15-02...

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Mike Kowalik

Best of Austin City Limits 3-15-02...

Post by Mike Kowalik »

This show was pretty good ...considering there was no steel.I believe this was the very first ACL show from the mid 70's....
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Thanks Mike...for that valuable insight!

By the way, if it's not too much trouble, would you mind sharing a little more information?

(Like...who was on the show.) Image
Frank Venters

Post by Frank Venters »

It was Willie Nelson on the show last night. Not one of my favorites but it was better than nothing.I'm waiting for the one with Alvin Crow and the Pleasent Valley Boys and maybe see a young Herbster playing steel.Will have to stay glued for that show.I don't know how many times Alvin Crow played on Austin City Limits, but that was country.....
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

For those that don't know, CMT is playing some of the old Austin City Limits shows Friday nights at 9 PM Eastern Time.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

There's a great ACL with Walon Jennings - Ralph Mooney. Hope I can see that again!
frank rogers

Post by frank rogers »

The one I would like to see is from at least 25 years ago. The artist was Linda Hargrove. Her band was some guys from Grand Rapids, Mi., including Paul Ballard and Tommy Davis. Plus a very young Paul Franklin playing sone incredibly "tasty" steel. If I'm not mistaken, Gail Davies was the other guest on that episode with a "pre Highway 101" Paulette Carlson singing harmony vocals.
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Please excuse my failure to mention who appeared on the show....it won't happen again...last post.
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Mike you do have permission to miss next Friday if you are up with us at the convention.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Thanks. The reason I asked who was on the show is that the local PBS station sometimes reruns them on Sunday, after midnight (as a time-filler, I guess). However, the local papers never list who's starring on the shows.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Frank
If I recall correctly, I've done four ACL's... two with Alvin Crow, one with Marcia Ball, and one with Gary P. Nunn. I've also done several shows that were taped at KLRU studios for TNN, with Johnny Bush and Gary P., but were not ACL's.

Mike Gross just sent me an email saying he's got a copy of one of the shows I did with Alvin in 1976. I'd be fascinated to see it. Some guys have allowed as how I was "hot" back then, but I sure don't recall much of THAT, fer sure. Image

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Herb,
You wuzz hot back then! I've got an LP record of Alvin Crow which you played on and I enjoy it a lot. Ol' Alvin was one helluva fiddle player but should have gone the Bob Wills route and hired vocalists who could actually sing as he couldn't! I'm glad Alvin hired good musicians such as yourself and that harmonica player who played with Waylon for his band.
One of my favorite old ACL shows featured the Earl Scruggs Revue which had a hot steel player on it who I can't remember who it was. If they play that one again I'll have to set up the ol' VCR to catch it for sure.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Dang It !! Fridays nights at 9, I'll be staring at a green Carter D-12..... Do they run them at any other time ?? Image Image Image

Regards, Paul
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Paul,
That's what they got them $49.00 VCR's for!

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Jerry, that hot steel picker with the Earl Scruggs Review was/is none other than Big Jim Murphy. "And now you know...the rest of the story...." Image

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Glenn Suchan on 18 March 2002 at 07:25 AM.]</p></FONT>
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

The Nashville Superpickers (Emmons, Hicks, Gimble, McCoy, Baugh, Harman, and Pig Robbins) recorded an album on FlyingFish "Live from Austin City Limits" in the late 70s.
Is this an actual episode that might be rerun?

Oh man if it is... Image
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Scott, at the time that the Nashville Super Pickers were playing and touring, I had the opportunity to see them in person. They came to the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago. At that time it was Emmons, Baugh, Henry Strezlecki (sp) on bass, Buddy Spicher on violin, Pig Robbins, and Buddy Harmon (possibly Lary Londin) on drums. They each were holding seminars on their respective instruments. The Emmons seminar was a "watershed" event for me. After the seminars were over they all convened in the room where the steel seminar was held and performed a mini-concert. I was blown away by the good-natured dueling between Emmons and Phil Baugh. Phil was playing a Peavey T60 guitar connected to a prototype MSA pedal board. (I think our own Darvin Wilhoit owns one of those rare devices).

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn