The song you HATE the most!!!!!

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

I'm with Joe.....it's Steel Guitar Rag, hands down!!!!! www.genejones.com I saw someone elses post below and had to add a P.S...I had mercifully forgotten "Achey Brakey Heart", it has to be the absolete worse!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 31 January 2002 at 07:35 PM.]</p></FONT>
Michael Garnett

Post by Michael Garnett »

Bill L-

The song you're thinking of is "Bop" by Dan Seals, and yes, it's quite possibly one of the more annoying songs ever written.

I cast my vote for anything made by a boy band.

Garnett
Jerry Bruner

Post by Jerry Bruner »

"Good Morning Starshine" by Oliver. I cringe every time i hear that glibby gloop lala s**t.
"Sunshine Superman" by Donovan. One of the worst songs of the 60s (along with the first song on my list)
"Love Is The Right Place" by Bryan White. Video made him look like he was gay. Just a dumb song to begin with.
"Steam" by Ty Herndon. Sleazy not steamy.

i'm sure there are others but I can't dig them up at the moment..

Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Has to be 'Freebird', I think every band in High School did their version of this, so all night long you heard it over and over, Oh Puke!

------------------
Regards, Craig
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Craig Stock on 31 January 2002 at 06:15 PM.]</p></FONT>
Red Kilby

Post by Red Kilby »

I almost forgot<<<<<. The one thats out right now that I bet everyone HATES<<<<.
"I wanna talk about me" by Toby Keith is that horrid or what?????
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

For the 70's Andy, don't forget Ballroom Blitz by the Sweet. or Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees. The worst Country song in the 70's had to be Annie's Song or else Calypso by John Denver. Seems they went on forever. The 60's would be any do-wop Under The Boardwalk type tune. The 80's one I hated the most was Every Breath You Take and the famous Don't Worry Be Happy. Also any Bon Jovi tune at the time cause that's all they wanted to hear no matter where we played.Country for then would be Roll On because anybody from the Midwest knows enough not to get out of their car or truck and walk in a blizzard! The 90's-------well Friends In Low Places,Acky Breaky, Don't Take The Girl, Indian Outlaw, Any Man of Mine, and Cheap Seats.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Rick Morris

Post by Rick Morris »

"She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy"
When that comes on the radio, I can't turn it off fast enough. No wonder people think country music is for hicks!
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Wipe Out
Proud Mary
Old Time Rock and Roll

Yuck!!!!
Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

John Deere Green. Image

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Glenn Austin

Post by Glenn Austin »

"Footloose" especially at a wedding, makes me want to barf.

The BEST SONG that I've heard in a while is "This ain't no Rag, It's a Flag". Just the title says it all. I bet it won't win any awards though.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Add "MacArthur Park'
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Duke Of ? Image
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Conspicuous by its absence is "It's A Small World" so I guess you guys like it.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Personally, I'm sick of Steel Guitar Rag too, but the worst thing is the vocal version of it! Ever hear those lyrics? Yuuuuck! I'm a peaceful man, but that lyricist should be shot (or else tied up and forced to listen nonstop to a medley of MacArthur Park and It's a Small World Afterall as sung by Bill Murray).

------------------
The "Master of Acceptable Tone"
www.jimcohen.com <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 31 January 2002 at 09:44 PM.]</p></FONT>
erik

Post by erik »

The thing i like about "Stayin' Alive" is the drum beat and guitar riff... or maybe it's an electric piano, i can't remember. I can do without the "Ah, hah, hah, hah..." Image
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

"Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie, Yellow Polka Dot Bikini", especially the Finnish version of it.
Jim, you don't have to waste your ammunition. Merle Travis wrote the lyrics on SGR, he died in -83.
Mike Dennis

Post by Mike Dennis »

" Don't rock the boat, don't tip that boat over "

Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Anything by Buddy E.....
<B>
ahhhhh, duck!, Incoming!!! Ahhhhhh...Flames.....
</B>

Let me try again...

Anything by Buddy Ebson.......... Image
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Everything with steelguitar in it! Image
Those songs keep me wondering and busy all the time to figger out how they did it, and make me sit behind that egg-slicer instead of sporting, enjoying wife and kids, sleeping, washing my car, doing the honey-do things, work in the garden, and on and on....

------------------
my web-site
my bands CODand TSC

Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

OOOOOPPS!! I just recorded Blue Skirt Waltz and Steel Guitar Rag!

Jimbeaux... Merle Travis wrote the lyrics to SGR, so you'll have to dig up his now deteriorating corpse to blow him away. I suggest using a 10 guage shotgun repeatedly for maximum tissue destruction. Image

Back on topic... there are many favorite songs on my hate list, too many in fact to list. But the song that totally befuddled me, one that I despised and yet became CMA Song of the Year, was "Country Bumpkin."

"In this world of many wonders, another wonderous wonder came..." or something like that. Yikes! The sound you hear is my English composition teacher is rolling around in her grave, as we speak. Image

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

John Kavanagh

Post by John Kavanagh »

I had a regular Friday night gig for three years with a group that did jazz and rock, mostly oldies. In the small print on our advertising posters I always added: all requests considered except for "Stairway to Heaven" and "The Girl From Ipanema".

We played G from I once a month ("you missed it, too bad...") and once, just to prove we could do it, played a pretty fair cover of S to A with the keyboard player, the sax player, and me actually playing recorders at the beginning and everything. But that was at another, high-paying gig.
Doyle Weigold

Post by Doyle Weigold »

I've got to go along with Red Kilby, as far as current and country goes.
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Any song where the steel is out of tune, especially 'Teach your children' with Garcia on steel. Also 'Steel guitar rag'.
Leroy Riggs

Post by Leroy Riggs »

The Rag. I've did it a thousand times and have always messed something up while playing it!
Rich Weiss

Post by Rich Weiss »

Anything sung by Garth.