Super Steel night. OOOOOOOOMeeeeeee.

------------------
CJC

Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

""""
Randy Hess

Post by Randy Hess »

I think Trisha cancelled. We just got called yesterday to fill in so I'll be there with Trace Adkins & my JCH.
David Pennybaker

Post by David Pennybaker »

I don't know who was on the steel last night for The Wilkinsons (perhaps their steel player, Jeff Surratt). But you could hear the steel in their first song, "Words".

They should really do "Cowboy's Sweetheart" (original by Pasty Montana, IIRC) when they're on the Opry. I think you'd like it. I know you'd like it more than their second song, which is "Jimmy's Got a Girlfriend". I hope they do a better job on that song tonight than they did last night.

But, I guess the format is "do one song that's probably going to be the next single, then do one you're known for".

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

David Pennybaker

Wow! Glad to see they're doing "Paper Doll" instead of JGAGF.

Just heard a steel lick, too. Image

Is that Jeff Surratt? I don't get CMT. Image

Both those songs "should" be on the next album. Which has been delayed AGAIN. Probably not available until July.

------------------

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Pennybaker on 05 January 2002 at 06:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

Not bad. Trace Adkins proved to be the strongest but Collin Raye redeemed himself with Cold, Cold Heart. Blake Shelton was good and IV is IV. Sorry David, I don't care for kid acts dancing around stage like they have a hot coal in their pants. I didn't care for the song Paper Doll either. Again, I'm sorry and that is only my opinion and we all have one! Other than that, Randy you did a great job behind Trace Adkins on your Jimmie Crawford Guitar. You both sounded great, you and the JCH! Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Weirauch on 05 January 2002 at 07:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

We should be proud of the efforts of Tommy and Randy.
Did any of you Canadians catch the brodcast ?

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
sylvainvallieres

Post by sylvainvallieres »

yes I see it from Montreal,I'm very happy but one hour it's not enough and I cant cacht the rest on my radio,the waves arent better from Welling W.V.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Yep, I saw it first time in months!
Great stuff! I'm glad to see it's now at the Ryman.

I gotta admit I'm still smiling about Colin Raye's set. The first song was so ROCK, complete with Les Paul, I thought the SGF would tear him apart. Then he followed up with a VERY Traditional "Cold Cold Heart"!

I'll bet many of the "Classic Country Only" crowd that were starting to type flames about him. They they hit the delete key. Image

Nice work with Trace, Randy Hess! Beautiful JCH.

-j0ey-<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 05 January 2002 at 07:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
kyle reid

Post by kyle reid »

Mike W. your summary of the show was perfect! this is first time you haven't said this or that was great, when it wasn't! Damn: there goes my New Years resolution! kr
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Who was the guy playing the single neck Sierra behind Colin Raye. He sounded pretty good to me...........

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Dave Robbins

Post by Dave Robbins »

Jerry,
Van Coffee behind Colin.

Dave
David Pennybaker

Hey, Mike

At least the "Opry gods" were with you, since the first song by the Wilkinsons didn't make CMT. Image

On the other hand, I think you would've liked "Words" better (or at least hated it less). The steel was more prominent in that song as well, though not overpowering.

As far as the "hot coals", well I don't think they'd listen to ME on that, so I don't bother. Image You'd (hopefully) form a different opinion if you saw them during their acoustic set, when they all three are seated. "Paper Doll" sounds better in the acoustic set, too, IMO. But, it'll probably be a single soon, so I'm sure it'll almost always be played with the full band from now on.

I'm resigned to the fact that most here probably won't be big fans of theirs. But the upside to that is that it makes it easier for me to get front-row seats! Image

------------------

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I only caught part of it last night. I turned it on about the time they were interviewing Trace Adkins. Colin Raye came on and I switched channels.

I still have a problem with all the interview and talk garbage. Lets just have the opry show. In the interview they ask a performer some idiotic question that they can only answer one way, e.g. "How do you like appearing on the Opry"? What's the person going to say, "I could have booked a show and made a lot more money". Give me a break.
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Jack, that reminds me of the night I saw Ray Price on Johnny Carson and he was asked how he liked "working with strings". www.genejones.com
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

I didn't get to see any TV because of my regular gig but on the way in I caught the opener on 650 AM with Geo Ham IV and he did what I think was a tribute to Roy Acuff with Wabash Cannon Ball. And I'm saying to myself: George has got him one heck of a dobro player and I was trying to guess who. It had to one of the biggies because this guy was doing such clean hammer ons and hammer offs that it was like something really new.

I was hoping he would give him credit at the end but when he said Thank You to Opry Staff Band.....Tommy !! Was that you ?? Bobbe said you had a mean dobro but I've never had the pleasure of hearing you play. Way to go, Man ! DYNOMITE !!

And I just know Bobbe is going to come on here and say he didn't say "MEAN DOBRO"; he said "MEAN DOBERMAN !!" Image Image

Regards, Paul<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 06 January 2002 at 06:41 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

That was Tommy White playing the killer dobro with George. Image
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

I'm about to turn on the rerun

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

That was T.W. on Dobro and it was televised.
Get that VCR workin! It's nice to be able to fast-forward past some stuff.

At the last ISGC Tommy played Dobro on a beautiful duet with Lloyd Green. Awesome!

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

If you missed Colin Raye doing cold cold heart you missed a great performance. His First song was a good pick up the audience toe tapping Oldies country rock song. I won't put the Wilkinsons down because I don't like them apparently there are many that do.However I don't see them outlasting puberty. Once the Father realizes he is no kid rocker and lets his hair go back to grey,brown whatever the color is it's back to Club work. also listened to the second show on the radio and Colin repeated Cold cold heart and tho I have no Colin stuff in my collection he made me take notice...That Opry Staff band is a Killer.Tommy on the Dobro smooooth.

------------------
CJC

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Hey Joe,
Sorry, I missed the show. It sure sounds like one of my favorite country singers shined. Colin Raye touches my heart, the man can sing anything. Underated no doubt!
To bad the Wilkersons didn't venure out on their own after the first cd.
Theresa

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 06 January 2002 at 11:11 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

TW is a smooooth operator Image
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Randy's comments on the new band members with Trace Adkins//The new guys are Max Maxwell from KY on drums, Dave Buchanan from Yankee Gray on bass & Gary Schiera from the Wilkinsons on keys (he also played for them last night
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

tuned in to the wsm webcast later in the evening... TW was layin' it down!!
some gal who's name I know not did San Antone Rose and he flat burned it up.

but then that's why he has the job ain't it? Image