Leon Sutton

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Keith Woods

Leon Sutton

Post by Keith Woods »

Anyone know where he is now? As a teenager, sneaking into the honkytonks around Chattanooga in the 50's, he was my favorite lead guitar player. He was a fast and clean player, a cut above the rest of the locals at that time. Around 56-57 he made the move to Nashville and caught on with Hawkshaw Hawkins. Later, he played with Ferlin, Faron, Don Gibson, and others. When with Faron, Big Ben Keith played steel. Both Leon and Ben were big, tall, handsome guys who, much to Faron's dismay, got a lot of female attention. Many times Leon would get me and my friend through the back door at the Ryman and we would be in hillbilly heaven for the next 4-5 hours. We seldom watched the show, prefering the dressing room jam sessions instead. It was wonderful watching guys like Hank Garland and Billy Byrd trading jazz licks. Come to think of it, where is Ben Keith? ........Thanks...KW
Keith Woods

Post by Keith Woods »

Oh well......I must be too damned old.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

For Big Ben Keith, try: http://www.thecoolgroove.com/ben.html

This message was edited by Jason Odd on 21 January 2002 at 08:12 PM. and he has forgotten how to do links properly, so cut and paste it please! doh<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jason Odd on 21 January 2002 at 08:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gregg Galbraith

Post by Gregg Galbraith »

Keith,
When I first moved here to Nashville, Leon was playing guitar with Carl and Pearl Butler on the road, and was also playing on their Columbia albums. I never got to know Leon, and haven't heard anything about him in years. I realize I haven't been much help, but at least you know that you are not all THAT old.Leon has not been totally forgotten!
Keith Woods

Post by Keith Woods »

Jason.....I must lead a sheltered life Image

Greg....thanks, I've since learned that Leon moved to Florida several years ago and now only plays in church.
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Gregg,seems like I remember when Leon left Carl and Pearl Butler he was replaced by Paul Yandell.I know the first time I met Paul was on a package show with Carl and Pearl.This hole is getting deeper and the cob webs are overwhelming. Image
Austin A. Preston

Post by Austin A. Preston »

Hi Guys,
I've had the pleasure of doing some shows over the past year with Leon here in Florida. He is still a great player and a wonderful person to know. Leon is one of the musicians in this area that has really given me the chance to play the kind of steel guitar most pickers only dream of. Classic country still exists here in our neck of the woods because of him and a few others. His smooth picking and his stories of Nashville never gets old, and his harmony licks behind the steel are the icing on the cake. He lives in or near Bartow, Florida and does play mostly in church, but can be found occaisionally at Chets Gator Barn on Friday and Saturday nights in Lake Wales. Chet Cutchall (also a former Nashville steel picker) runs this show and it is definately the place to be for traditional country music. Royce Morgan also does some pickin there as well.
Keith, if you will e-mail me with your number, rt_hawker@hotmail.com I'll be glad to pass it on to Leon. I'm sure He'd be glad to give you a holler.

------------------
Emmons S12, Peavey Nashville 400, Talent: Jesus Christ
www.geocities.com/rt_hawker