Any info on Singer Jim Ed Brown please..

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Dean covey

Any info on Singer Jim Ed Brown please..

Post by Dean covey »

Hi everybody great board.. I would like to any info on Singer Jim ed brown. This man can sing with the best of them. I feel like i missed out being this young! i`m in the wrong time line.. LOL He makes new country
look real bad. Is he still alive? Where could i get his cds or tapes. Thanks Yall
PS: Sure is hot in San Antonio Texas
ahhhhhhhhh
George Rozak

Post by George Rozak »

As far as I know, he's still around the Nashville area. He was originally a member of the 1950s/1960s era brother/sister trio known as The Browns (Jim Ed, Bonnie, & Maxine Brown - great harmonizing). Two of their better known recordings were "The Three Bells" & "Scarlett Ribbons." When his two sisters decided to retire from the music business, he went out on his own. Most of his early work, including that with the Browns, was recorded for the RCA label. I'd check with the Ernest Tubb Record Shop in Nashville to see what they might still have available.

George
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Jim Ed is still,alive & kickin',&workin' the Opry. My first steel job,when I arrived in "Nashburg" in '68,was w/ J.E. I was w/ him for,about 3½ mos.
I had to leave him,on account of illness.
Yeah,......he finally got sick of me!!
BTW Dean,since you're in S.A.Tx.,say hi to my ol' buddy,Randy Reinhardt,would ya? Thanx.
------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-</pre></font>
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Smiley Roberts on 18 August 2000 at 02:08 AM.]</p></FONT>
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Gee Smiley,I don't think Jim Ed knew what he had at that famous moment.Seems like you should have lasted 4 months at least. If Jim Ed only knew what he was releasing to the world of Country Music ,the WFSR.He may have had second thoughts ImageCome to think of it maybe he did. Image

------------------
CJC
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 18 August 2000 at 06:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dan Dickey

Post by Dan Dickey »

Jim Ed is and always has been one of my favorites. I still think the original "POP A TOP" is the best. I have a CD called THE ESSENTIAL JIM ED BROWN. Lot of good songs, lot of good music.
Jim Ed also did quite a few duets with Helen Cornelius in the early and mid 80's. They had a very good sound together in my opinion. But opinions are like ------ I guess. Everybody has one.
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

I always liked JEB,had that good country touch.
Lets see,Smiley worked the OPRY,with T.O. J.E.B.helps Kathy out with the vetrans.I know a few others he worked for.
I guess what I'm trying to say is,Smiley can't hold down a job with nobody. Image Image Image Image Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

Dan:

I kinda favor the original "Pop A Top," too: Nat Stuckey--1966.

(And JEB is great, too.)
----
Jeff
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

I guess,my "full-time job",is working "part-time".

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-</pre></font>
Dan Dickey

Post by Dan Dickey »

Jeff, I really did not know Nat Stuckey did this song too. I guess I just listened to Jim Ed sing it for so many years that I thought he was the only one until Alan Jackson. I think you've just sent me on a mission to find Stuckey's version. Thanks for the correction. One can never have to many versions of "POP A TOP" laying around.

Dan
George Rozak

Post by George Rozak »

I believe Nat Stuckey was the writer of Pop-A-Top.
Dean covey

Post by Dean covey »

Id like to thank you for all the great replys.. Looks like i`ll be tracking down all the tapes i can find.. Oh and sorry dont know who Randy Reinhardt is but i`ll ask around.. Seems like i know that name hmm ?
i`v heard alot of songs by Jim Ed.. But never heard the name before. But' I got many kicker buddies and two young boys.. So it looks like Jim Ed Brown will be making a come back in these parts.. LOL you guys have a great night and Thanks a bunch..
Loy B Moore

Post by Loy B Moore »

Jim Ed Brown is to appear tomorrow, 8-19-00 in Carthage, Texas at the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame. Also to appear are Janie Fricke, Leon Rausch, Merle Kilgore, Ralph Emery and Charley Walker. The Hall of Fame is at 300 W. Panola St. and the show will be at the Carthage Junior High auditorium at the corner of Holly and Davis Streets. Show starts at 7PM.