Should Some Opry Members resign?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Pete Hunter

Post by Pete Hunter »

Joe, I didn't expect everyone to agree with me. Thats what America is all about, we can agree to disagree. Image

I too have respect for some of the people I mentioned but respect doesn't sell records or Opry tickets. Most people who buy tickets to the Opry live out of state and don't have a clue who will be performing on the day they come to Nashville.

I live near Branson, MO and a lot of the "has been's" are the one's who opened theater's there. Over 50% of their audiences come from tour busses full of blue hairs bringing them in from all over the country. This all gets back to some of the other topics about who sells records and who sells tickets to shows. They are not always the same people.

For the record: I do respect the opinion of everyone on the Forum.

------------------
Pete Hunter
hhguitar

Post by hhguitar »

I can't imagine how Garth Brooks would ever be asked to play the GOO to begin with. If he says he's too busy, everybody oughta just keep their mouth shut or pretend to be disappointed.

HH
Earnie Sumerall

Post by Earnie Sumerall »

Pete I have to agree with you. It's time some of the older entertainers retire. Let them appear only, if they want to, as they deserve that, but try to entertain, no. It is my opinion that they are hurting the Opry. It was embarrising to see Bill Carlile Saturday Nite stumble around with words to Rudolph-- . It was a good thing Georgie Riddle was there to back him up. If the Opry is going to stay around these old entertainers are going to have to except it is time to retire and let some of the newer ones take over. Not everyone is a George Jones or Ray Price who's voice seems to get better with age. I'm personally tired of seeing Porter Wagoner flash the inside of his suit coat and sing off key. I don't see anything wrong with the age of the musicians as long as it doesn't effect their playing, but there is a time to retire and let the younger generation take over. Like it or not,times change and music progresses. The Opry is not needed to succeed in the business anymore but if the Opry wants to succeed changes need to be made.
One last thing, the sound mix is terrible. Maybe the muscians should be turned up to overide the voices.<p ALIGN=CENTER><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b">[This message was edited by Earnie Sumerall on 12-21-99]</FONT></P>
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

The one thing I do agree with you people with,the Opry shouldn't bunch up the weaker ones.I for one can't stand to hear Skeeter Davis ,Bill Anderson just plain can't sing,but his delivery,writing, and he certainly can put a band together to cover up his weakness.There are more however the Opry was built on tradition,And It was suppose to be membersip for life ,unless one screws up.If you look at the people who attend and the age they are, most are loyal fans of the existing members.It's all a matter of choice. The newer artist are not going to make it a habit to show up for 125.00 or scale , they can make the big bucks. One thing the Opry is not doing is replentishing the right kind of new supporting members. lets not forget they do not enforce existing members apearance quota's..No matter who the members are they have to support the venue. The existing members have shown a willingness to die on stage.I have seen the view from backstage to audience level, the Opry is not the savior of Country Music ,just the continuing history and tradition of it.OK Make changes only don't destroy it as TNN was destroyed by the influx of the new.I have spoken to people who have made as many as ten trips to the Opry,They hope for some Big stars to be on the show. But they enjoy the Opry as is and never feel disapointed. There are many of course first timers who feel it stinks.MHO

------------------
cjc

<p ALIGN=CENTER><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b">[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12-21-99]</FONT></P>
Earnie Sumerall

Post by Earnie Sumerall »

Everybody has a valid point. The only answer is to put SMILEY ROBERTS in charge.
Bill cole

Post by Bill cole »

Ernie now you have said a mouth full Smiley would get rid of all the R&R trash get some of them boys from Wheeling and kick A$$ and take names
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Now there is an example of something that was good and now gone..WWVA's Jamboree.It's now is a thing of the past as most of the Artist went on to bigger things or just died off.Wheeling use to be a great steping stone.And the little town jumped on saturday night.Lee Moore where are you? Even Smiley had a stopover there. ImageOh for the good old days Image

------------------
cjc

Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Aww s__t,here we go again.

------------------
©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

Pat Jenkins

Post by Pat Jenkins »

Used to be at the Jamboree a lot in the 70's with a nice little group,had a lot of fun. The Jamboree is still up and running, not like the old days though. But then again what is. Pat, Great Gugamooga.
Peter Dollard

Post by Peter Dollard »

I would just say this: Garth is so obscenely wealthy he wouldn't be worried about what The Opry pays; obviously a lower level performer has a legitimate gripe if he has to pass up a more lucrative engagement.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

OK SJ : where do I send My check?

------------------
cjc

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

It first starts with a committee who can get commitments then incorporate.Election of officers ,Then a negotiating committee and once it's etablished with a good foundation.Lenders have to be sought.Foundation is the word and everything starts with an Idea big or small.say if everyone on the forum put up a certain amount,just an Idea not a request,1000x1000is how much? Just an example.Harley was saved by such an Idea.And if it would return to the Ryman.What is the Opry anyway? Is it a Building?Is it a Membership?The Building is owned by the Gay_Lords.Are the Members.Whats there too buy?

------------------
cjc

<p ALIGN=CENTER><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b">[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12-27-99]</FONT></P>
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Get the feeling CBS is down on Country Music.They made a collage of famous people who have passed away during the year. From jazz to blues to actors to politicians to famous siblings but no mention of any famous country act.I guess they are still alive then because CBS considers themselves the best news source.

------------------
cjc

ART BASTIEN

Post by ART BASTIEN »

Put Smiley In charge, that would sraighten out the mess. -my two cents worth!

------------------