Early model Strat

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Bobby Boggs

Early model Strat

Post by Bobby Boggs »

This guitar is anywhere from a 57 to 65 year model.It belongs to friend of the family.It's not in my possession.Can someone tell where to look to find what year it was built.As you can tell I know nothing about guitars.Never wanted to till now. Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 29 July 2004 at 08:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
Doyle Weigold

Post by Doyle Weigold »

Bobby, If I'm not mistaken the serial # is on the back plate that holds the neck to the body. You should be able to take the serial # to a Fender dealer and have them look it up. I have a 56 strat with a 10,000 something #. I don't remember just when they brought out a rosewood fingerboard, was thinkin' it was somewhat later. Doyle
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

Loosen the strings and take out the neck screws, look at the end of the neck, most have a date there. Very early models had the date written by hand, but later they were stamped.

Also some had dates written in the pickup cavity or control pockets under the pickguard.

If you don't want to take it apart does it have a serial number on the neckplate? (it should if it's original)

Anything serial starting with "L" puts it '62 to '65. Since it's rosewood fingerboard it's not earlier than '58 or so.

If it's all original, and it's what it looks like it is, bring lotsa $$$.. Image

Just read Doyle's post, he's correct, if it has a 5-digit number like he mentions, it's pre- '62 most likely.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Terry on 27 July 2004 at 11:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Michael Holland

Post by Michael Holland »

Rosewood fingerboards appeared in '59 and the spaghetti logo ran until the transitional logo started in late '64.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Thanks guys i haven't seen the guitar in years.I'm sure the lady want let me take it apart.

Michael,any chance you could post a pic of the spaghetti as opposed to the transitional logo.Anyone???

I was never into guitars and never paid attention to the small details...bb
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

Whatever year it is, I think it's worth a WHOLE LOT O' MONEY.
Harry Sheppard

Post by Harry Sheppard »

The best info on Fenders I have seen online yet.
http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html
http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html

Hope it helps,

Harry
James Lutz

Post by James Lutz »

Yup, I know a few things about guitars, especially old fenders. Feel free to email me about it, I can help you answer most any question about that thing, and no, I'm not in the market to try and buy it at all. I'm set with gear, plus I'm a Telecaster player, not a Strat player. I did have one just like that years ago though. With more information, I can get you a real close estimate on what it's worth, and how best to get that price. Good Luck, and if it is indeed between those years, it is worth a bunch of money, so hang on to it until you are sure what you have. Lots of sharks in those waters.

Jim

------------------
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he's gone for the whole weekend.

Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Hey Bobby, here's my Tele's spagetti logo.
It's not a Strat but the FENDER is the same.
Doyle Weigold

Post by Doyle Weigold »

For what it's worth, I had a guy give me an estimate on this 56 I have 10 probably closer to 15 years ago. A local music store here in northern Ind. had a guy stop on occasion and see if he had any old Fenders. So I was told,he would buy them and take them to California where he evidently had an outlet for them or he was a collector??? The one I have is in no way mint condition as I used this guitar on the road 5-6 night's a week back then. At that time I was offered $5,000. I bought the guitar new in 56. Hope this helps you. Doyle
Michael Holland

Post by Michael Holland »

Here's a scan from Guitar Identification by A.R. Duchossoir.

Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Michael Holland on 27 July 2004 at 05:30 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rick McDuffie

Post by Rick McDuffie »

Bobby, I'd like to know what hole you been fishin' in... Image
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Image Thanks to all of you...bb
ajm

Post by ajm »

So is it for sale?

------------------
Artie McEwan
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

To everyone who's asking here and via E-mail.I haven't bought it yet.Don't know if I will.......bb<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 29 July 2004 at 08:55 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

Send it to me for a very thorough investigation and evaluation. I promise to get it back to you just as soon as I'm finished Image

bob

Loni Specter

Post by Loni Specter »

Three color sunburst Rosewood board. My guess is '63-65 Should be a date and signature on the but of the neck/
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Enough of the E-mails already. Image

Turns out the family has decided not to sell this guitar at any price in the near future.
An interesting note.The serial # 87733 no l makes it a 62.However it has a light colored neck.No one can remember it ever being changed.Also it's a 2 tone color not 3. Thanks..bb<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 29 July 2004 at 08:57 AM.]</p></FONT>