Need Advice on Fender Refinishing

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Doug Beaumier

Need Advice on Fender Refinishing

Post by Doug Beaumier »

<MARQUEE> Image </MARQUEE>
I recently acquired a Fender Custom T-3 in great condition... except that it was repainted (poorly) many years ago. The best thing to do now IMHO would be to strip off all of the paint and have the guitar professionally refinished. I'm thinking of a butterscotch blonde or a walnut finish (some of these Customs came with a walnut finish). The walnut finish could be done by a local guitar repair shop for a very reasonable price. If I decide to have it painted blonde, I'd probably have to send the guitar out, which will naturally cost more.

Has anyone out there been through this before? Ever have a Fender non-pedal steel refinished? Does anyone specialize in this kind of restoration work? Anyone you'd recommend? Any ideas on types of paint that should or should not be used? I appreciate all comments. Thanks... Happy Holidays

------------------
My Site

Doug's Free Tab

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 06 May 2002 at 09:05 AM.]</p></FONT>
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Nice, I like it! Thanks Gene
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Clay Harrell has a page about the paints Fender used which might be helpful. I'd also suggest posting a message on the Musical Instruments Makers Forum.
Good luck whatever you do.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

Doug,
Check out these people, they seem to know what they are doing. http://www.timeelect.com/Vintage.htm
Robert

Post by Robert »

Doug:
I've got a walnut Dual Professional. It's a clear lacquer finish over walnut - or, it was - back in the '50's. Now the lacquer is yellowed, or it's flaked off altogether to expose natural walnut wood beneath. So - to get to the point: if you strip this guitar down to the wood (and with a hack paint job, why not?) and find ash - go with the blond finish. It would be more historically accurate than an ash body with walnut stain. Conversely, if you find walnut, then a blond finish is out. All of this is assuming that this accuracy is something that's important to you. Anyway - have fun.

Rob Yale

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Robert on 21 December 2001 at 08:16 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

Doug, If it was blonde, the wood most likely is Ash. If it was Walnut the wood is walnut. Unless it's a later body that's Ash painted brown!
If it was Blonde any good guitar refinisher can duplicate Fender Blonde. You may want to try Jack Pigeon in NY. If it's Walnut, clear lacquer will be fine.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thank you for all the responses. I'm thinking that since it was blonde originally, I'll probably go with a blonde finish. I've always been partial to blondes anyway Image

------------------
My Site

Doug's Free Tab

Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Doug
Make certain it's a "natural blonde" you
know those hairdessers...only your hairdresser know for sure.

Good luck with your guitar Iam certain it
will be everything you hope it to be. Image Image

"Gentlemen prefer blonde's" and you are just
that. Image Image
Ron

Post by Ron »

If you find you want to go blond whitch you cant with walnut. You could bleach the walnut but you shouldnt. Try sanding all the wood down to wood with no finish left. Sand out the stain and all. Take some light yellow paint or white and then yellow and paint the wood tith this and imidatly wipe it all off. THe whit and yellow will leave a small resadue in the pores and on the serfice and when you let it dry and then lacker over that ihe next day you will finde it is blond. Very easy. Wipe good with the grain with the yellow so you dont show any cross markes. If you dont like the color -lacker thinner will wipe it all away and you can start a new. Dont use any thing but lacure or you wont get it off without sanding all the way down again. Try another piece of wood and see what happenes and go for it.

Ron

------------------
Ron

Post by Ron »

Wow!! My spell check didnt work!! Blush Blush!!

Ron
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks Jody, Ron, and others. I'll be sending this guitar out to a shop to be refinished. There's no way I'd attempt it myself. I don't have the skill, time, or patience for that kind of work Image

HERE is a blonde refinished T-8 Custom just like mine, except that mine doesn't have the Roman numeral fret markers. It looks great. Refinishing an old guitar usually cuts the value in half, and I guess that's reflected it the price of the one shown in the link.

------------------
My Site

Doug's Free Tab

Robert

Post by Robert »

Doug:
I looked at the pictures from Elderly of the triple eight. That is not a "blond" finish. It is a "natural" finish - stripped down to the bare wood and then sealed with lacquer - or maybe even poly. There doesn't appear to be any paint in there at all.

Rob Yale
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I have a video from Dan Erlewine at StewMac taking you thru the process of recreating a Tele blond finish. I'm not sure if the Tele blond is the same as the Stringmaster blond. Jody?

Just more info for ya, Doug.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Jon:
Hopefully, we'll hear again from Jody on this thread. He's the last word on Fender - or at least, he has to get the last word in. Image Anyway - the original transparent "yellow" or butterscotch blonde used on the steel guitars was also used on the Telecaster and Esquire. Just look at pictures - it's the same finish. The other "blonde" that Fender actually called "Blonde" is the transparent white, or "pickled" finish that was popular on home furnishings of the period. The "Mary Kaye" Stratocaster's were finished this way, and it's a cool color - but I don't think any steel guitars were made that color unless it was a special order. When the lacquer on those pickled finishes ages it can look pretty "yellow", but it still stops short of the butterscotch look. That pickled blonde would be cool on a steel guitar, I think.

Rob Yale
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Rob & Jon
I posted something regarding the comments made here and some how,,,it did not go through. I will reply to this asap.

Iam tired from writing the last post and I need a rest. Rob,,,,you are 100% correct in your information regarding Fender finishes etc,,and Jon,,,whenever I see your name,,,I think of that tune "Im Beginning To See The
Light" and darn it ,,,I wrote such a good reply too....Oh well,,I'll be back,,,,you can hide if you wish,,, Image & I thought I was
really GREAT in that last post,,,darn it..

edited for spelling<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 23 December 2001 at 09:58 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

OK due to "popular demand" Iam back. Lets see now,,,,Ok Rob is 100% correct regarding
finishes used by Fender in the early days.

The custom guitar as well as the Dual Pro and
other steel guitars,,,studio deluxe,champ etc etc were finished in what is now called
"butterscotch" back then it was reffered to as "blonde" All Telecasters and its mate Esquire guitars and early P.Bass'es were finished in the blonde "butterscotch" color..
"who thought up that name???". Most all paints and laquers used back then were from
DuPonte and or Sherwin Williams,,,this was a
choice that Fender had,,and this was something that had to do with cost and availability at that time.

Competitive prices and avilability played a
role in what companies Fender would deal with. It is possible that both DuPonte and
Sherwin Williams were the two top suppliers
that were used by Fender.

That decision was made by Donald D. Randall
and Leo Fender.

And that was decided by cost,,availability etc etc.

As some of you are aware,,,there was much finish checking back then...it was considered
as a defective process and many players and
Fender retail dealers objected to that.

Many years later,,the checking finish became
something of a "status" symbol among guitar collectors. I do know that Eric Clapton had a number of Fender guitars that had the "finish check". To tell that story would take all day,,,,in that will be in my Fender
Funnies Book when and If I can get it going.

It will tell how Clapton took a few of his favorite strats to Leo shortly after Leo got back in the music business that he loved so
much and at the time was desinging Music Man
guitars in Fullerton.

Who could better re-finish a guitar other than Leo himself?? I will not go into the events that followed that event as I will save that for my book. Ok with you guys??.
Besides its long like most of my stories and I dont want to write a book here,,,,although
I have many times,,,and there are many who dont enjoy my "History Lessons" as they have called my stories. So to make everyone happy
I will leave that story out.

Rob,,explained it best,,and Rob,,are you sure
you didnt work for Fender?? Image you certainly know your stuff my friend. My original and
very first Custom guitar had the "butterscotch" finish,,I would rather refer to it as "blonde" that has mellowed with age.

The early 1000 pedal steel had what I would refer to as a "vanilla" color,,boy vanilla
and butterscotch,,,Leo didnt know he could have compteted with Howard Johnson who claimed to have had 28 flavors.

They more than likely stole the idea from Leo Image I wonder if there are any chocolate chip color guitars out there???.

The first and only Quad guitar I received had what Rob refers to a the "pickled" finish
and that is the same finish and color as the
Fender Stratocasters of that vintage. I would
refer to it as I stated above "vanilla" thats my taste, Later on the white was
called "Olympic White" and was truly a nice
color,,,not a chalky white but a nice smooth
color. It was a more definite white finish.

The Mary Kaye Strat as it is now called,,,,
had a "blonde finish" which Rob makes reference to as being "pickled" he is correct
as he is in all of his comments...( he must have worked for Fender early on and is hiding his age ,,,"grin"

OK, Mary Kaye was asked by Tom Walker then the
original Fender rep who handled all of Fenders sales on the West coast" to have Mary
Kaye pose with a Stratocaster. Don Randall asked Tom to have Mary take a photo with a
one and only guitar of its kind at the time.

A blonde or "pickled" finish with "Gold Hardware",,,this was really a "beauty" ..
Mary was filming a part in a movie I beleive the name was " Calypso Boy".

Mary always used a D'Angelico guitar in her
personal appearances as well as recordings etc,,,but since the Strat was starting to take off in sales,,,,what better could Fender
have in a movie with a beautiful gal like Mary playing a one of a kind beautiful Strat.

What a combination that would make,,,two beauties,,one Mary, one Fender,,,that was a
difficult act to follow. Each one ,,,one of a kind.

That guitar was then taken back to Fender after the promo pictures were taken and returned to Donald D. Randall.

Don had other plans for that guitar. It is something I will never forget.

Johnny Cucci and myself were starting a group
which eventually led to the "Hot Club Of America". Don asked me if Johnny and myself
would play in the Fender "demo" room at the
NAMM show at the Hotel New Yorker. This was
back in the summer of 1956.

Don told me he wanted to present that special
guitar to Johnny. This was un-beknown to Johnny at the time. John prior to that was using a "D'Angelico.

During the course of the show,,,Don asked John how he liked the strat...Johnny was estactic over the newly found Fender sound.

At the close of the show,,,Don told me he was
in fact going to present that special guitar
to John. I didnt tell John of Randalls intentions.

I stood by as Don asked these "questions of John",,,quote,,,Johnny you did a great job
and we appreciate it. How do you like that
guitar?? (the blonde strat) John said ,,,Don
I think it is the most beautiful guitar I have ever seen and its plays and sounds just great.

Don Randall followed with this ,,,"and I will
never forget this",,,,,,John ,,,,,,since you
have used the guitar for 4 days now and you certainly played great,,it would be diificult
for me to sell that guitar as new,,,so since
you made that guitar sound so good,,,I want you to have it. You and that Strat make a great pair.

John just stood there,,motionless,,,Johnny was a very sentimental and loving kind of guy
his eyes filled up,,,and he said Thank you Mr
Randall.

I will never forget that moment as well as
other moments in my life during my Fender
days,,,,they were full of fun,,,emotion,,,hard work,,and most of all I
worked for the best person in the world,,,,,,
Donald D. Randall and natrually Leo Fender.

The Johnny Cucci strat as I will call it was
used on the Hot Club Of America recording and
all other recordings made by Johnny over the
years. He was appearing in the off broadway
show "Three Penny Opera" using the strat,,,and was good naturedly kidded about
his newly found piece of wood by the musicians in the orchestra,,,they were so used to him playing a "real guitar" as they called it referring to the D'Angelico. I cannot take any more of your time and as this is much too long. I will finish this story and how the Mary Kaye Strat found its way into Johns hands and heart, and where it went after Johnnys passing in 1986 and where
it is today..

It is an interesting story, and my friend Richard Smith who knew the fellow who had bought the stratocaster with "gold hardware" that Mary posed with during her filming of "calypso boy" and it wound up with an "Italian Boy" my friend and partner Johnny Cucci. Richard told me Iain wanted me
to confirm that this guitar in fact was the same guitar that was owned by Johnny Cucci.

I then had a few e mails from Dave Van Allen asking me to contact Iain Hersey owner of the
Strat and through Richard and Dave,I was able to help Iain to end his search as far as documentation was concerned.

The strat that Johnny owned had a date of 1-4-56 at the inside of the guitar. However the neck had serial number of 9/5/56,,,,this
was due to a defective neck that John had on his Strat and since he was afraid to bother
Don Randall for a new neck,,I had a new neck shipped to Johnny to replace the defective neck. He was offered another guitar to replace the original strat,,,,but knowing Johnnys reasoning and feelings,,,,this was the guitar he wanted to keep.

All serial numbers etc have been documented
and this guitar was not Mary Kaye's guitar
It was Johnny Cucci's,,

Rob,,,I dont want the last word buddy,,I think you are knowledgable and I appreciated
your comments. And to Jon Light,,,,I will get
what I promised to you this next week Jon.

If you dont mind,,since this story will be in my book,,if and when I do it,,,I will take the liberty of "copywriting" this post.

Thanks to all of you for your time,,,,long stories sure,,,,I have a million of them and
BTW that guitar that Elderly is offering is a
beauty,,its more than worth the price, The
underside is missing "pardon me I hope I get this right" that "flocking fabric" I always
hated to use that word, it scares me,,,,
That word was used on me when a music retailer would ask me to leave his store. Let me repeat that to make my self clear....
"flocking" fabric. It was put there for players in those days to keep from slipping off of the players lap.

The player that comes to mind that played his Custom on his lap was the "late and Great
Les Carrot Top Anderson" Les played steel with the Great Spade Cooley and as he did
vocals with the band,,he told Leo that it was easier for him to put the guitar down after playing and going to the mike to sing rather than to step away and stand up from the guitar. When the "Here we go again" "flocking fabric is removed" it is a good chance that the guitar was refinished.

Does this take away from the original and make the guitar worth less.??? If so,,,since Iam a "Fender Original" would a "face lift" make me less desirable or valuable,,only you can decide that.

Rob,,,,throw a little "vaniila and butterscotch in and sprinkle with Fender Tweed and I think that would make a great
recipe,,,to kick it up a notch as Emeril
Le Gasse would say,,,Food Network.Com
Elderly Music is a fine Music Store and they have fine people. I know I have dealt with them and found a "long lost love" at Elderly
Music,,,,,many thanks to a sweet gal ,,,,,,,
Dawn Nash....ask for Dawn,,,,tell her Jody
sent ya..OLD FENDERS NEVER DIE,,,,THEY somehow sometimes return to their original
owners,,,I know,,,,its happened to me TWICE.

Happy Holidays to all Of You....read this
in your spare time,,,,, Image Image Edited for spelling,,,I wanted to be certain that I
spelled "Flocking" correctly,,,you know thats the fabric that goes under the ,,,Oh
forget it...you know what I mean.

And to my Friend Mike Black,,,,Mike read this when you are whipping up an Italian meal for Tom Morrel and yourself.

The wine is on me....man you cant beat those Italians,,,,nothing but "food,food,food and
guitars...no women or Peddlers Allowed Image

------------------
Copyright(c) 2001 by
Jody Carver "All Rights
Reserved"

Edited for length of post, I deleted one word,,That is The Rest Of The Story 'Good Day<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 26 December 2001 at 06:53 PM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Well, that clears up the finish questions....I guess eveyobody's finished with their questions now. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by HowardR on 23 December 2001 at 02:35 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Howard,,,,No Im not finished yet,,,,,

That was HISTORY LESSON # 2,,,,ALL REPORT CARDS MUST BE SIGNED BY A PARENT BEFORE
READING THIS. PLEASE NO "MINORS" ALLOWED
ONLY OLD GUYS ARE ELIGIBLE.

THIS LONG STORY MAY BE HARMFUL TO YOUR HEALTH
AND IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF bOb Lee.
proceed at your "own risk" IT MAY BE CATCHING and need MEDICAL ATTENTION.

E MAIL ME FOR THE ANTEDOTE..
THANK YOU...did I spell responsibility right?? What do you want for these prices
Bobbe Seymour ??????
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks Jody and others for all the info. I'm thinking I'll order the Fender blonde paint from This Site and have the work done by a local furniture refinishing shop.

<font size=-1>Happy Holidays to all Forum members!

------------------
My Site

Doug's Free Tab</font>

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 24 December 2001 at 08:40 AM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Here is the link to the Mary Kaye (any relation to Danny?)Johny Cucci Fender. I'm posting this for Jody.....it will cost him more than he thinks......
http://home.earthlink.net/~iaingtr/history56.html

</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by HowardR on 24 December 2001 at 09:30 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by HowardR on 24 December 2001 at 09:32 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Howard
Thank you,,,I could'nt execute this to put on the Forum, Thanks again. As for how much
I owe you for this...do you accept Visa,,or American Express?? how about layaway??

This link is very interesting and it tells the complete story of the so called Mary Kaye
Stratocaster. No she is not related to Danny
maybe Sammy Kay,,,"Swing & Sway,,,,
I worked with him too,,,,,,he "swayed more than he "swung" Image Image,,,a drag,,,,Harbor Lights,,,
50 times a nite,,,,Thanks again my friend.

Want a copy of Sammy's Harbor Lights????????
It will cost you more than you think..... Image
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Doug - You said the guitar had been repainted at one time. What color is it?

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Lee,

The guitar is now a bright yellow.

http://store.yahoo.com/reranchstore/index.html offers nitro paint, clear coats, and other refinishing supplies for vintage guitars. These are spray cans for do-it-yourselfers. <font size=-1>I would still have my luthier do the spraying!</font>

Click on the links below to read a description of the two Fender custom colors under consideration:

<center><b>Blonde
Image </center>

<center><A HREF="http://store.yahoo.com/reranchstore/butblon1.html" TARGET=_blank>Butterscotch
Blonde</A>
Image </center></b>

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site | Doug's Free Tab</font>

Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

Man, Jody strikes again!! Welcome back Mr Carver.

I love your history lessons.

Doug I think you got the answer to your question and then some!