Where to get lessons

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Carter Cole

Where to get lessons

Post by Carter Cole »

i’ve been playing for a short while now but i’m wanting to take it more seriously. i believe that the structure of lessons would help me a great deal, but i’m unsure of where to start. remote lessons would be fine, but if anyone is/knows someone in the fort wayne indiana area that could give me lessons, i would appreciate any leads. if not, give me some recommendations for someone who could give me remote lessons.

many thanks,
carter
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

John McClung in Washington does Skype and maybe Zoom lessons. I've known John since the 1970's, and he is a great player, and has a great reputation as a teacher.

Then, there are the online courses from Paul Franklin and Travis Toy.

All these players are forum members.
Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 29 May 2023 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Lary Marshall

Paul Franklin Method

Post by Lary Marshall »

I am currently signed up for the full Paul Franklin Method. I started out with his introductory class, then the tool box class and finally went for the full Method. For me, this has been an outstanding class. As I work through the course material, I can take as much or as little time in each session as I need. I find that as I progress, many times I return to previous lessons to actually learn what I thought I knew until a later lesson makes it clear that more time was needed on previous material.
You can stop the lesson and practice a part or technique, back it up to listen again, and you can slow down the video when you really want a close look at what he is doing. Additionally, there is a private Facebook group that you can (and should) join where you can ask Paul directly for advice/help on specific areas. At 70+, I had refused to set up a Facebook account, but I finally did for this course. I highly recommend this course.
MSA Legend XL U12, Collings SoCo, PRS Custom 24, Taylor 810, p2p Bad-Dawg, Victoria Silver Sonic
Steven Miller

Post by Steven Miller »

Hey Carter,
I'm trying to get started with Pedal-steel Too. I'm a guitar and 6 string Lap-steel player and am located in Fort Wayne. Did you ever find some one nearby to get Pedal steel lessons from ?
Brendan Mullins

Post by Brendan Mullins »

I am a new player who has been researching lessons as well. For $5/month on Patreon you can get a ton of lessons and tabs from Johnny Up at https://www.patreon.com/pedalsteel/posts. I listen to a ton of newer "alt-country" acts (or whatever you want to call the newer neo-traditionalists) and he has awesome tabs for them and the classics. You can also pay for lessons at a reasonable cost, which I will eventually do but haven't tried yet.
Jeff Rady

Post by Jeff Rady »

I teach pedal steel lessons, I do zoom or in person, I'm in Denver so in-person wouldn't work. I've been teaching for about 15 years. I have my own teaching site too for guitar and pedal steel. You can check it out here:

https://jeffsguitarandsteel.com/about-pedal-steel/

Thanks,
Jeff
Williams Guitar Purveyor, Owner of jeffsguitarandsteel.com
Andrew Goulet

Post by Andrew Goulet »

Brendan Mullins wrote:I am a new player who has been researching lessons as well. For $5/month on Patreon you can get a ton of lessons and tabs from Johnny Up at https://www.patreon.com/pedalsteel/posts. I listen to a ton of newer "alt-country" acts (or whatever you want to call the newer neo-traditionalists) and he has awesome tabs for them and the classics. You can also pay for lessons at a reasonable cost, which I will eventually do but haven't tried yet.
Just a word of warning, Johnny Up has been banned from the Steel Guitar Forum for ripping people off (according to this thread by b0b): https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=187021
Marlen S12 and a ZT Club
Brendan Mullins

Post by Brendan Mullins »

Andrew, thanks for the warning. I appreciate you bringing that up to me. I will tread carefully.
Jeff Rady

Post by Jeff Rady »

I’ve seen some good Johnny Up content online. I just maybe wouldn’t buy a Sho-Bud Maverick from him. :lol:
Williams Guitar Purveyor, Owner of jeffsguitarandsteel.com
Mike Polansky

Post by Mike Polansky »

Rich Hinman’s Patreon has really high quality lessons that do a good job of mixing theory and technique with practical examples from classic recordings. It’s the best online instruction I’ve seen.