Fender 400 Year Advantages/Disadvantages

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Rady

Fender 400 Year Advantages/Disadvantages

Post by Jeff Rady »

Hi There,

I've got a Fender 400 in my area for sale and was wondering what year it was, it looks like it has the jazz master pickup and is the longer scale version, the changer looks more modern though. Wonder if anyone knew and could discuss the advantages/disadvantages of this model

Williams Guitar Purveyor, Owner of jeffsguitarandsteel.com
Michael Sawyer

Post by Michael Sawyer »

Best i can see it is the old style changer.
I cant see good enough to tell if it has a fixed bridge and nut.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

From what I can see it is a long scale Fender with roller nut and bridge. Earlier models had a solid bridge and nut. That feature plus color of the case puts it at 1962-3, just before they changed to shorter scale and a different changer and pickup.
Pros -
1)unique sound. Most real Fender nuts like me prefer the tone, sustain and response of the long scales.
2)Knee levers can be added from parts easily obtained from a hardware store.
Cons -
1)they weren't really designed for E9 tuning. There are ways around it but many had bad luck with the high G# breaking. We can go down the rabbit hole about that another time.
2)Parts are getting hard to find.
3) Maybe not original finish. Looks like it was repainted sort of crudely.
Not a modern guitar but something you can make your own if you have the time and talent.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Jeff Rady

Post by Jeff Rady »

Hi K,

That's great feedback. I think I might just get it and have it for a rainy day and try out the B6 idea you had. I can't really know for sure until I try it.

I really appreciate the feedback and wisdom!

JR
Williams Guitar Purveyor, Owner of jeffsguitarandsteel.com