This is cool...

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

that is cool. looks kind of zb inspired, including the undercarriage.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

The top neck has five tuners on one side and four on the other side.
That's pretty unusual. I don't get a feeling for what tunings were supposed to be used.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

My take on this is: This looks like an original ZB guitar that has been rebranded (custom silk screened neck inserts and apron decal). Even the apron decal is very similar to the original "ZB Custom" decal.

As for the '9-string' tuning, the tuner is missing on the high F# string (if it's tuned to a standard E9th).

One other thing: The legs seem very short, almost like this may have been used by a child. What say ya'll?

Keep on picking'!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Another Reverb unknown. Calling it a pedal steel, No pedal bar, pedals or pedal rods shown, Just 3 knee levers.

It looks the 5th key may have just been removed from the top key bar, A picture on reverb show screw holes and the shaft hole in key bar. The nut rollers counts out to 10 in the picture. One picture shows only 7 strings on the top neck, Some broken pieces of string in key head.
There is only 9 strings on lower neck.
If you look close at the 10th key on the lower neck. It has the string wound on the key shaft from the under side. All of the other strings are wound over the top of the key shaft.

Does have, A very unique fretboard.
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Anybody know Bobby Beavers in N.E. Oklahoma?
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Pictures show a pedal bar, so no mystery there. As for it being short, didn't the ZB and some other steels back then have the clutches placed pretty high up on the legs (probably for ease of adjustment when sitting behinf the guitar), with quite long inner legs showing – so these ones have just been pushed in as far as they go?
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I also think it is really a ZB. But, with new fretoards, knee levers, pedals, and possibly new legs. Everything else is pretty much identical, including the body. Of course, it is possible that he copied a ZB and made everything, including all castings, but I doubt it.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Eric Dahlhoff

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

It does look very ZB-ish!
But the end plates are slightly different on the front & back. Also not ZB pickups. And the knees have a cool bend to them. But all the rest really looks like a ZB.
I'm going to guess that Bobby Beavers work for Zane Beck and built himself a custom version.
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)