Sho Bud LDG / S P Emerald green??

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Johnie King

Sho Bud LDG / S P Emerald green??

Post by Johnie King »

Image Image What is Sp stand for on a LDG. It is in the Super Pro era??

Last edited by Johnie King on 14 Nov 2023 11:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

I've heard "special paint", but...
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Yes I guess Gretsch guitar changed the logo an stoped the endorsement with Lloyd.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yes Correct! "SP" was if someone ordered a Different Color than the "Endorsed Emerald Green" "SP" was for "Special Paint"; as under the "LDG" logo instead of "Model"
Paul Franklin Sr mainly did all the special customer ordered Sho~Bud's. The LDG Endorsement ran out when Fred Gretsch took over from Shot Jackson; and Paul Franklin Sr started building his own Pedal Steel.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Well I guess they changed the color emerald green too green emerald because this Bud I worked today is green with SP.

Bean counters

Lloyd Green is one good reason that the pedal steel became popular for so many of us.

Bruce Blackburn

Post by Bruce Blackburn »

One pic has wide pedals the other has narrow pedals.
Rittenberry Prestige D10, Dekley S14U, (stolen) ZumSteel D10
(2) Nashville 112's Nashville 1000, Profex II Kemper Profiler Powered, Quilter Tone Block 202, Benado Steel Dream
Tim Hurst

Post by Tim Hurst »

And different wood inlay.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yes Johnie any ldg with straight knee levers, hex cross shafts and pot metal Parts underneath are after Lloyd Green's endorsement.
So whatever the heck they put on underneath the ldg logo is up to them,as it no longer has to do with endorsement shobud ldg model.
Out of all the LDG's you posted; that one right there with wide pedals and rope inlay and round front is a real LDG model.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Mike Kowalik

SP on LDG

Post by Mike Kowalik »

In about 1986 or so I purchased a LDG from Don Pack's Dellview Music here in San Antonio. That store was steel guitar central in South Texas. My guitar was a special order as the color was candy apple red and SP appeared under LDG on the cabinet. That guitar absolutely gorgeous but just did not stay in tune. It was my first guitar and with it I took lessons from Denny Mathis for about 2 years or so. I kept it until I found an ad in the local paper for an Emmons p/p D-10 8x5, 2 Vegas 400 amps, Emmons volume pedal, and Ace pak -a-seat for $2000. I bought this package deal and put the LDG up for sale at Dellview Music. It didn't last long and I was told it was purchased by an airman from Lackland AFB. I have long wished I would have kept it and done anything to get it to stay in tune.
Dana Blodgett

Post by Dana Blodgett »

I’m curious if someone knows which guitar Mr. Green used on “ Sweetheart of the Rodeo” albumn? ‘68/‘69 ? Maybe an early Professional Sho~Bud?
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

I’m curious if someone knows which guitar Mr. Green used on “ Sweetheart of the Rodeo” albumn? ‘68/‘69 ? Maybe an early Professional Sho~Bud?
Dana. Lloyd Green used his famous Sho-Bud fingertip with the lightning bolt inflection on the front. Then after he turned it in 1970, it got lost and then it got found 15 years ago and I restored it and me and Lloyd and the owner decided it would do a lot better as a historic pedal steel guitar and several displays at the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum in Nashville. it's behind glass currently, here's a pic.

Last edited by Ricky Davis on 15 Nov 2023 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky Davis
Dana Blodgett

Post by Dana Blodgett »

Whoa, thanks Ricky, I ‘ve always wondered about that! Interesting story, amazing man, great album, a true classic, great guitar!
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme