Bobbe Seymour

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Martin

Bobbe Seymour

Post by David Martin »

Bobbe Seymour just popped into my mind. People that knew Bobbe, knew how he loved to goof around. I was in his store looking for a Sho-Bud seat. Bobbe said he didn't have any except the one he was using. I said, do you want to sell it. He said, Sure, and we went to the back room and he literally dumped his stuff out of his seat into the floor and said, here you go. I thought he was joking. I left with his seat and still have it. What a character.
SHO-BUD SUPER PRO D10(8+10)
EMMONS LL-III D10(9+9)
Too many Amps
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Yep!
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Tom Sosbe

Post by Tom Sosbe »

Bobbe was defiantly one of kind. Dear friend I think of him often.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

I miss Bobbe, he was who he was, one of those guys you either love or hate , I loved the man , I miss him , and I wish I spent more time with him, riding bikes , and flying planes … RIP buddy
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

He was mean as a snake and the only way you could tell he was lying was if his mouth was open but I gotta say I do really miss him !

He was an absolutely fantastic liar ! There should be an archive of the complex and amazing things he would make up on the spot or go to great lengths to do. He was a truly unique character.
Bob
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

As Sheriff Andy Taylor would have said:
He's a bird in this world.
:lol:

~Lee
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I'm with Bob Hoffnar on this one. The things he'd make up just to get out of a scrape defied credibility, yet you'd stand there nodding in agreement.

He did me a favour or two but I was lucky! There were some outlandish yarns about repairs being returned to the customer minus a part or two.

But: he was hospitable and one usually got a warm welcome. It was a good place to rest on a long drive north.

I'm still looking for confirmation of all the Elvis Presley sessions he claimed! :)

RIP, Bobbe - a unique individual.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

When I was looking for my second steel, I was at Steel Guitar Nashville and Bobbe told me he recommended GFI steels. When I first started playing steel, I didn't know what to think of GFI steels because I thought they were too little. When I went back to Steel Guitar Nashville in '04, I was ready to buy my second steel, and I saw an Emmons Lashley Legrande D-10, a Sho-Bud Super Pro, a Mullen Royal Precision, and plenty of GFIs. At the time, my idea for a steel was a doubleneck steel, so Bobbe sets up an Emmons Legrande D-10 in front of me and at the time, I thought I wouldn't be able to handle a doubleneck Emmons, so Bobbe then sets up a red and gold GFI D-10 and lets me try it out, and since it was close to Christmas, I was teaching myself how to play Christmas songs on the C6th neck, which I had no idea I was playing C6th until Bobbe said it was C6th. I was still thinking I wanted the Sho-Bud Super Pro or the Emmons, but Bobbe suggested the GFI and it was the steel I played for five years. Right after I got the GFI, Bobbe and I played a show at the Old Clinton Opry House in Georgia, and it seemed like every five minutes, he'd look at me and say, "Where'd you get that GFI?" and I'd always answer, "Steel Guitar Nashville"! I remember the first time I heard him doing car sound effects on steel, I almost jumped because I didn't know it was coming! He was playing at the Choo Choo City show in '01 when he did the car sound effects, and I was thinking I'd never heard a steel guitar sound like that before! The car sounds meant he'd played the last song and he'd left.
Last edited by Brett Day on 6 Nov 2023 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Bobbe was one of my Hilton pedal dealers for years. I can tell you this much---Bobbe was a honest guy. Bobbe was a talented salesman, but always honest and straight forward with me. I grew to like and respect Bobbe, wish he was still around.
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

A true character, yes; but IMO also a great player. He came up to the New England meeting once. Played great--at a reasonable volume, too.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

I liked Bobbe very much and my wife did too. I was saddened when he and another friend fell out big time. He and Maurice Anderson were one time close friends, but the friendship got very rancorous. Those of us who were members on this site at that time will remember this episode well.

I pleaded with Maurice to put aside his feud with Bobbe, but he told me that he had held out an olive branch to bring the situation to an end. He said that Bobbe was determined to go through with his litigation against him. Fortunately, the incident eventually came to nothing.

As with Roger in his post above, Bobbe gave me the "I played with Elvis a number of times" line, but when I looked at him a bit cross eyed we both burst out laughing because we knew that story was taller than the Empire State Building.

One of the last times I saw Bobbe was in his store, just the 2 of us, and a consignment of Peavey 112 amps were delivered to his back door. This was very soon after he lost a couple of fingers on a chop saw in his workshop. I carried every amp into his store for him and took them out of their cartons, and some were beautifully wrapped in faux snakeskin I recall.

Lloyd Green later told me an extremely amusing story about Bobbe holding court in his store that I won't repeat here, as Lloyd told me in a private environment. One thing for sure, he (Bobbe) was a larger than life character, a personality that you would would meet just once in a lifetime.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

Somewhere in my youth I got a steel album " The happy steel guitar" with no player mentioned.
It turned out to be Bobbe Seymour.
I heard he was approached for playing steel with Gram Parsons and the fallen angels, Bobbe recommended Neil Flanz.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Roger Rettig wrote:I'm with Bob Hoffnar on this one. The things he'd make up just to get out of a scrape defied credibility, yet you'd stand there nodding in agreement.

He did me a favour or two but I was lucky! There were some outlandish yarns about repairs being returned to the customer minus a part or two.

But: he was hospitable and one usually got a warm welcome. It was a good place to rest on a long drive north.

I'm still looking for confirmation of all the Elvis Presley sessions he claimed! :)

RIP, Bobbe - a unique individual.
He was indeed a master BS'er... so much that I kind'a respected him for it. But then, he dealt some bad deals out to people he thought were too far, too insignificant. Some people got seriously hurt, until the Internet gave everybody a voice.

He could treat you as you were his best friend one day, and the other day totally ignore you or try to pull a quick one.
He tended to put down some people which are steel guitar heroes to most of us, some of them very kind people... Buddy Emmons being only one and I asked him once, if he thought that bad mouthing BE would make him sound better. It got very silent for a loooooong 1 second. I knew he had done that with other people too who wound up tending to believe him.

He was dealer-wheeler bare none. A Hot Shot and I say this with some admiration too.

But most of all, he was also a MASTER steel guitarist and musician. His approach to E9th was one of the most musically creative and unique I had ever heard. Some of his Pop Music solo recordings can still testify to that.
I wished more had taken his musical approach more as an influence.

He was a very good looking man in his prime, almost photo model material. A pilot like many of the great players including Maurice and Jeff Newman and so many more.
I am not sure if it is true that he was a Phantom pilot in the Air Force in his younger years, but he had that "fighter pilot" allure for quite some time, until he started to sadly decline and one day was gone.

While I always treated him with utmost caution, holding on to my wallet, I do miss him. He was a true Showman and at times even his BS'ing had some serious entertainment value.

We should all remember him by his Music, Showmanship and Humor.

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I will say this for Bobbe; I once caught him in a rare moment of humility.

This was 2004, I think, at the Chattanooga Show. I wandered up to where Bobbe was setting out his sales table and he looked a little bit down. Quietly, I asked him if he was okay. He had this slightly haunted look as he told me:

'Guess where they've scheduled me in the show later on? Right after Doug Jernigan and just before Emmons.'

He actually looked crestfallen but, once he got up to do his routine, he managed to pull it off. I recall one piece being an imitation of a racing-car using a Boss-Tone. Whatever it takes, I guess. He had good thumb-style chops on C6, I remember.

JD talks of him bad-mouthing Buddy Emmons; Bobbe told me once that he'd '....just got off the phone with Emmons. I could hear the stereo playing in the background and I said: "Are you still playing that Ray Charles record you were on??"' Not bad-mouthing, perhaps, but a put-down of sorts.

I know for a fact that he sometimes took advantage of customers just because he thought them of 'no consequence'. That's an unattractive trait but, taken all around, the world is a fractionally better place for Bobbe Seymour's life.

As for the 'Phantom Jet Pilot' claim, I think we can file that along with the Elvis Presley sessions.

That moment of vulnerability he had at Chattanooga brought him up in my estimation, though.

Here we are, talking about him and how long has he been gone? Almost ten years? That's a testament in itself.

PS: I remember that 2004 (or was it 2005?) show because I met Jim Cohen and Bill Cunningham for the first time. Doug J., Junior Knight, Sonny Garrish, Russ Hicks and the Big E - I think Hal Rugg was there, too, as was Mike Sigler. it was worth the drive from FL!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

Very early in my playing days, I sold my Maverick and bought a Dekley. I needed a few parts for it and when I called Bobbe the first thing he said to me was "A Dekley? What in the world did you buy one of THOSE for?"

Mind you - it was a big deal for me at 22 or 23, broke and eager to get my first pro steel, to have that Dekley and I thought it was classless of him to say at best.

Then, not more than a year later, he had a Dekley for sale and the writeup he had for it on his website made it sound like it was the next best thing to a '60s Emmons push-pull.

I seem to remember him popping off with some anti-semitic comments near the end of his run posting here on the SGF, and things shut down on him pretty fast after that.

He was also pretty disparaging to Reece Anderson when MSA was restarting, going to town with comments about the carbon fiber Millenium being a "plastic guitar." One thing I'm not settled on is whether Bobbe was actually being truthful or fully transparent when calling on the new MSA to make things right with folks that had lost deposit money on guitars that were on order when the old MSA closed its doors in the early '80s - perhaps he did try to help right some wrongs there and, if so, I give credit where it is due and commend him for that. Other than than, his character seemed mostly unseemly.
W. C. Edgar
Location: Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, East Coast Soon!

Post by W. C. Edgar »

I loved the guy and all his antics...
When I first moved to Nashville he hired me to work at Steel Guitar World when it was in Millersville
It was Bobbe, Mike Daly, Buck Reid, and GiGi Emmons was the office manager.
What a great time, great folks to this day & I miss it a lot...
First owner of Steelseat.com
1980 Sho-Bud Pro II & 1977 Sho-Bud Pro l
Lawrence 610 Pickups
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

never walked out of his store empty handed, no matter if I bought something or not , I’d always walk out with a free CD or cassette tape or something… he told me one time his name was Bobbe Rip’em Off Seymour lol … full of shit, with a big heart , larger than life …