1993 Zumsteel D10 8+5

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Dave Grafe

1993 Zumsteel D10 8+5

Post by Dave Grafe »

Lovingly reconditioned to Bruce Zumsteg's spec by the great Tommy Detamore, this guitar is in as-new condition other than a few minor dings. I replaced the original 1" overheight legs with a set of chrome-over-alloy legs of standard length and trimmed the rods just enough for decent floor clearance to preserve the overheight option. I also replaced the original tiny pickup switch with a larger Gibson LP-style toggle (visible in the first photo), otherwise it is as built in 1993 and reconditioned in 2023. Unfortunately I have been unable to find appropriate parts to add more knees going forward so am reluctantly choosing to pass it on.

It looks awesome and plays flawlessly. With compensators on E9 string 4 and C6 string 3 the precision of this guitar is quite remarkable. It is tapped for splits on all strings of both necks as shown in the photos. With the alloy legs it's only 63 lbs in the case.

Comes with a nearly new bar-mounted Goodrich L-120,
a solid case, and new San Filippo leg bag.

$5500 plus the ride to CONUSA. I would strongly prefer local pickup or arranged midpoint rendezvous over shipping this fine instrument. I am willing to deliver or meet in the NE USA anywhere from Maine south to Fairfax VA or west to Ohio.

Talk to me...

Copedant and Rodding Chart for this guitar per Bruce Zumsteg.

Last edited by Dave Grafe on 6 Nov 2023 7:51 am, edited 50 times in total.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I was just saying this morning that we seem to so rarely see such gems up for sale. It's almost as though the dealer network gets them all.

But here's this beauty! If it was dark blue all over, I'd be overlooking the '5 KLs' and thinking of driving to NY!

I doubt it'll be here for long.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Thanks for the encouraging words Roger, I'd be happy to meet you in D.C. if you did 😎
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Dave:

Apologies for interrupting the thread with my remarks. What I have in seller's remorse: in 2003, I took delivery of a brand new Zum (8+7) in plain black. Unbelievably, and because it felt so different to my Emmons, I sold it within a few weeks, never quite settling down with it.

I've come to see Bruce's guitars as the pinnacle of build-quality. I wish I could go back in time and change that foolish and hasty decision.

I really am tempted but for the same reason that you're parting with it (not enough hardware), I can't justify it. My new Williams arrives soon and there'd be a fierce domestic upheaval at Rettig Towers if I were to even hint at yet another guitar.

I'm surprised it's still here!!!! :)
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

TTT
Last edited by Dave Grafe on 9 Sep 2023 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Meanwhile I'm playing it 'cause I can
Last edited by Dave Grafe on 28 Aug 2023 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike DiAlesandro

Nice

Post by Mike DiAlesandro »

Dave, that's one fine Zum you have for sale, and at a good price to boot. I'm surprised it is still available.

Dave is a great fellow steeler and a good guy to deal with. Don't hesitate to work out a deal on this guitar with Dave, you will be glad you did.

Plus, how many guys have a dog bowl of fresh water next to his steel on stage, making sure man's best friend is taken care of!
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Ha! Thanks for the kind words Mike, I am certain this sweet guitar will find a proper home in good time, funny how three or four nice Zums showed up all at once here 8) It was a hot day, you can see Buddy on the other side of me, laying in the shade facing the offstage fan.
Gary Trego

Post by Gary Trego »

I have no doubt this is a great guitar folks. I have one very similar that I bought new in 1983. I still play I regularly and it sounds and plays as good or better than any other guitars I have. This is a great price, I would not sell mine for what this gentleman is asking. For what it is worth, the newer style bell cranks and rods on the late Zums will work just fine.... with no problems. I had Bruce send me some to add a couple of changes to mine. One of the cool things about how Bruce made his guitars is that you can easily add and remove any later Zum parts and take them off with no problems.
Tony Edwards

Zum

Post by Tony Edwards »

Dave,
What year model is this fine guitar? Can it be changed back for a tall long legged player? I believe it was a tall one before. Thanks.
Tony
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Somewhere in the editing that got lost Tony, it's a 1993 that was indeed 1" over. It has standard length legs now but I shortened the rods only about 1/2" so they should be able to adjust well to as much as 1" of added height at the bar, i.e. extending the standard legs by 1" all around, especially if you like to set your pedals boot high.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

How is this still here???

It's a more-than-reasonable price and a highly desirable guitar.

(I have enough of a battle on my hands here on the home-front, justifying my new Williams - imminent, I'm told - when I've retired from playing 'pro'. If I was feeling single, I'd want this one!)
Nicholas VanWay

Re: 1993 Zumsteel D10 8+5

Post by Nicholas VanWay »

Dave, did you sell that Webb KB-1 to a guy down here in South Texas? If that's it, I've got that amp in my music room right now. Ron is letting me borrow it just to play with it. Great sounding amp.
Dave Grafe wrote:I purchased this beauty only a few months ago from a highly esteemed forum member with the intention of adding a pair of knees to the back neck and making it my primary, lifetime show guitar. Unfortunately I have been unable to find appropriate parts and don't want to generate another hack job on an excellent instrument so am reluctantly choosing to pass it on.

Professionally reconditioned to Bruce's spec with a full Emmons copedant, it arrived as-new with new Stringjoy strings. I replaced the original tiny pickup switch with a Gibson LP-style toggle (visible in the first photo), set it up for standard height, adjusted the knees for my skinny legs, and took it out to play. The strings have seen under a dozen shows and rehearsals in total so have a full life yet in them.

It looks pristine and plays flawlessly, the pickups deliver that "contemporary Nashville" tone, i.e. clear, strong, and articulate, perfect for modern country and jazz. With compensators on E9 string 4 and C6 string 3 the precision of this guitar is quite remarkable. Tapped for splits on all strings as shown in the photos.

A matching late-model blue Webb 6-14e with JBL K130, new blue Steelers Choice Sidekick seat, and new black Goodrich L120 VP with bar-mount bracket will also be available to the buyer of this guitar for a complete stage setup.

Comes with a solid case and new San Filippo leg bag.

Asking the same as I paid for it, $5500 plus the ride to CONUSA. I would strongly prefer local pickup or arranged midpoint rendezvous over shipping this fine instrument. I am willing to deliver or meet in the NE USA anywhere from Maine south to Maryland or west to anywhere in NY or Pennsylvania.

Talk to me...

Copedant shown includes the intended C6 LKL and LKR upgrades not installed on this guitar. All else is as shown. This is no fixer-upper but a premium instrument ready t go!
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Still here, as are the VP, amp, and seat
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Sigh...
Dennis Wireman

Dave

Post by Dennis Wireman »

Only reason its not sold Money is tight and the ones that have it not spending it right now. Listen folks I had heard Tommy play this great sounding steel at a steel Guitar show where I was a Vender at and WoW great looking and sounding steel for sure. If I could sell some of my keepers I would surely buy this if still available. Some one needs to get this great steel at the price Dave's asking for it. And all the other nice things he has for sale.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Now including a nearly new Goodrich L120 with a Tom Bradshaw bar-mount bracket.
Doug Paluch

Post by Doug Paluch »

Dave,

I put two Gibsons up for sale, both reasonably priced for what they are, thinking they would sell, and I would have some cash in the event a steel like this popped up. Both have been sitting. I think the market is just really slow right now.
Robert Lashier

Post by Robert Lashier »

You're killing me. Somebody, please buy this great steel so I don't sell my car and all my blood.