Nice, inexpensive shoes for PSG

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark McCornack

Nice, inexpensive shoes for PSG

Post by Mark McCornack »

I've been playing mostly in stocking feet for a while now and have been developing some issues with pain in my left (pedal) foot, mostly after extensive playing. Wearing tennis shoes, dress shoes,(or worst case, boots) just wasn't working out for me, though that did relieve the pain issue. Just didn't do much for the music. I realize that this topic has come up from time to time on Forum, but here's my input to the shoe issue.
I just got this pair of Bergman Kelly water shoes online for about $12 a pair. These are very lightweight, flexible, and inexpensive (not to mention highly stylish! :)). If you think something like this might work for you, it's not a big investment to give them a try. There are also many other manufacturers of "water shoes", but these Bergman Kelly's worked just fine for me. Mark

Brian Spratt

Post by Brian Spratt »

Cool idea, Mark. I imagine those feel similar to the wrestling shoes I've used a lot. Lately, I've started using cowboy boots and I'm getting used to them. Having that raised heel is an easily overlooked benefit of boots (and conversely, a drawback of using really flat shoes of any type).
Dave Stagner

Post by Dave Stagner »

Brian Spratt wrote:Cool idea, Mark. I imagine those feel similar to the wrestling shoes I've used a lot. Lately, I've started using cowboy boots and I'm getting used to them. Having that raised heel is an easily overlooked benefit of boots (and conversely, a drawback of using really flat shoes of any type).
Me, I use "zero drop" hiking shoes religiously (Altra or Xero), and think raised heels are genuinely bad for my feet and those of many others.

Then again, I play steel barefoot or in socks. Has the advantages of great feel and very inexpensive. Had the disadvantage of cold toes when I played in sub-50 degree weather recently!
I don’t believe in pixie dust, but I believe in magic.

1967 ZB D-10
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
David Weisenthal

Post by David Weisenthal »

Looks very usable Mark. Nice thinish bottoms. Is there a lot of empty toe space sticking out? Thats a deal killer for me. My croqs with removed inner pad is what I use. Toes are blunt.
Mark McCornack

Post by Mark McCornack »

Yes, the soles are pretty thin and flat. Also, I wouldn't say there was an excessive amount of empty toe space sticking out. These are pretty close to just playing in socks and still have some protection on your feet. Dave Sagner wrote:
and think raised heels are genuinely bad for my feet and those of many others.
I have to say I'm pretty much in this camp too. For me cowboy boots were the worst. Riding heels put my foot at an awkward angle, the pointed toe basically just gets in my way, and they are generally restrictive to rolling your foot. All bad things (IMHO). No disrespect at all to Brian or anyone else who finds boots their preference. Whatever floats your boat. I will admit though, a nice pair of Tony Llamas definitely look a Hell of alot nicer on stage than my $13 water shoes :)
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

I'm going to try the Bergman Kelly shoes. I've developed neuropathy in my left foot and can't play for more than a minute or so with just socks on. Thanks Mark, perfect timing for this post!
Mark McCornack

Neuropathy

Post by Mark McCornack »

Ben. Ideopathic Neuropathy was the diagnosis I got for my foot pain. "Ideopathic" because they couldn't find anything specifically related to known causes (Diabetis, vitamin deficiency, alcohol abuse, etc). In my case, the pain was more or less in the center of the transverse arch, a couple inches from the toes. This is an area of my foot that comes into frequent contact with the edges of the pedals in normal playing. With the shape of the pedals and the pressure required, there was often a high pressure load on this small area (a nerve, perhaps?). Even if this wasn't the direct cause of the problem, it certainly was an aggravator.

I did a couple things. First off, I had an old gardening glove that I cut the fingers off of and slipped over the pedals. The protected my feet from the abrupt pedal edges. This in itself made a HUGE difference and I could play in my socks with very little discomfort.

Before this I of course tried just playing with shoes on like I did years ago. Everything I had felt too clumsy so I thought I'd try and find a flexible, lightweight alternative. Wrestling shoes and moccasins came to mind, then I found these cheap water shoes.
Anyway, these two steps made a huge difference and my foot pain is subsiding substantially. So much so that I'm wondering if this isn't neuropathy at all, but the result of repeated insult I've caused my foot by playing in socks. I am hopeful that this is the case. Playing in stocking feet gives me the greatest control, but I'm sure I'll get used to the change. Best of luck!
Last edited by Mark McCornack on 2 Nov 2023 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Detlef Webert

Post by Detlef Webert »

Great idea Mark,

the thumb is left for the thumb-pick, lol.