Rickenbacker DW 16 pickup volume difference

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Joe Burke

Rickenbacker DW 16 pickup volume difference

Post by Joe Burke »

I’m sure this has been discussed here many times, but I have a Rickenbacker DW 16. The front pick up is way louder than the back. I had the rear pick up redone by the famous Nick Fryer and it sounds great on its own, but is much quieter. Could it be a wiring issue?

I know it’s common that the far pickup is not as loud, but the difference on this Rickenbacker is, I think too great.

I have a Fender Triple Custom. The far neck on it is also quieter, but not as obvious as the Rickenbacker.

Any ideas?
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

My DW16 had an audible difference when I first acquired it. The only change I've made is to adjust the pickup heights to bring the volume roughly in line with one another.

I've never measured the output levels with anything other than my ears so I cannot quote any electronic values.

I would add that the tone of outside neck is slightly fuller and I've always assumed this to be down to the greater wood mass.
I know it’s common that the far pickup is not as loud,...
I didn't know that! Is it due to the different lengths of wiring?
Todd Clinesmith

Post by Todd Clinesmith »

Hi Joe,
Are these wound with the same wire gauge to the same resistance?
Nick Fryer

Post by Nick Fryer »

Hi Joe -

If I remember correctly I built a new bobbin for you because you were having the classic DW problem where the outer strings were not balanced. Is that correct?

A couple questions:

You are saying that both pickups sound good but they are unbalanced? Is that when you A/B them separately or when they are both on together?

Have you checked the wiring? Check all solder joints, check the switch, clean the pots. You can trouble shoot the pickup by taking it out of the circuit and hook it up directly to a guitar cable. If all of a sudden the pickup sounds full it would point to a problem in the wiring.

All of my work comes with a lifetime warranty, so if something isn’t right please reach out and I’ll help you make it right.

Lastly, I’m not famous! Ha!

Feel free to private message me or call if you need to talk anything over.

- NF
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

Thanks everyone, I’m going to run a few tests. It’s a great steel, but I hadn’t played it in a bit. I’ll report back!

Nick - I think you did a great job rebuilding the pick up.