Who has the most stable mechanical design right now?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Bob is right that rigidity is not the answer unless you sacrifice tone, and who wants to do that? Besides, "cabinet drop" is a catch-all term that includes all the other components that determine the eventual pitch of the strings, and they're all elastic to some degree.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

William James wrote:
The essence of genius is knowing what to overlook.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Sorting the wheat from the chaff, of which this topic produces plenty.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Another crop for the combine’s separator is perfect pitch. Players with this affliction are no doubt more disturbed by smaller imperfections in pedal steel guitar tuning than those without it. One way of compensating for it may be more stylistic than mechanical. Just avoid the 5-note chords and play only single notes and dyads.

I have found my relatively new Williams 700 to be pretty darn stable. -3c in AB mode
Landon Johnson

Post by Landon Johnson »

Bob Hoffnar wrote: If you truly learn the neck and get your ears and hands together cabinet drop can act in your favor depending on your approach to tuning.
Agreed. When I was a bassoonist in a prior life, it was understood that intonation was all in the embouchure. It's the same with the steel - I find that as I play a specific instrument awhile, it almost seems to intonate all by itself! Nonsense, yes; it's my muscle memory adapting to the different set of math equations brough forth by the different physical characteristics of imperfections.
Justice ProLite, Williams S-10, Quilter TT-12.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

We experience “cabinet drop”-detuning not because of changing strin tension, but because the pedals stop somewhere in the cabinet and the player’s footbon the pedals thus pulls down on the body. It doesn’t mather wether it’s an AllPull, PP, keyed or keyless, all aluminum, part aluminum or all wood.

This is why, unless you have a real lousy contraption of a steel guitar, we don’t experience that undesirable phenomenon with knee levers, but exoerience it more with pedala closer to the center of the guitar.

Only if the frame holding the cross-shafts and pedal hook ups, was separated from the soundboard, so that it wouldn’t rely that down-defirmation to the sound board.

Some guitars have metal rails running from end plate to endplate, others bolted and few even welded frames supporting the sound-board, the stronger and more stable, the lesser the effect. Still, most PSG builders continue to bolt their sound board to the frame… the only current exception known to me would be the new Sierra.

… JD.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

JD said it. If you don't believe it, allow some knucklehead lean on your guitar to talk to you while you're trying to tune it. The structure of the chassis makes a big difference.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Michael Hill

Post by Michael Hill »

New Sierra has been extremely stable for me. I don't experience the same tuning issues I had with a GFI Ultra.

I've tried all the tuning schemes and compensators. I ended up using equal temperament on the New Sierra. No need for compensators or workarounds or chord voicings to avoid. It works great for me. YMMV