Checking out a Fender 400 Pedal Steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Burke

Checking out a Fender 400 Pedal Steel

Post by Joe Burke »

A Fender 400 has come p for sale near me. I think tomorrow I will go see it. Wondering if anyone has any advice on what to look out for?
Thanks!
Mark Perrodin

Post by Mark Perrodin »

good luck with it. a common problem that can effect how the whole mechanism works is over tightening of the cables. they should have some slack to them. i used to run my cables too tight and had tuning issues with the changer finger not coming back to it’s neutral spot. easy fix and nothing to worry about. rick mcnamara knows a lot about setting up fenders. he’s helped me understand the way the mechanism worked when i got my first fender years ago. he’s on the forum. jim palenscar knows his way around a fender as well and is on the forum. fenders are pretty cool little guitars if you go into it knowing that there are limitations to a vintage guitar. how are your soldering skills using a torch? might want to brush up on them.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Broken cables and missing pedals are the two big issues with these old guitars. If they've been stored for over a decade, they may require cleaning and oiling to free things up. Usually, they came with 4 to 10 pedals, and the earlier models have chrome pedals. Some of these (pre-1962) models have a longer scale (24.5") and some of those don't have roller bridges and nuts. Any of these guitars you find are well over 50 years old now, and have likely passed through many owners. They're easy to work on and fun to play, as long as you're not expecting the precise mechanics and capabilities of more modern guitars.
Mark Perrodin

Post by Mark Perrodin »

did you get a chance to put eyes on it?
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

If you can get it for a nice price, the electronics and pickup work, and the mechanics need a bunch of work, considering it as a lap steel with legs (console) is an option.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

I thought I would go Friday, but didn’t get a chance. I’m guessing it’s in pretty good condition, so could be sold already.

It does seem like a fun steel/project. Maybe I’ll get a chance this week to go.