Peavey 1203-4 sound-alike?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roger Crawford

Peavey 1203-4 sound-alike?

Post by Roger Crawford »

I’m pushing a Peavey 1203-4 Black Widow in a cabinet with a Quilter Steelaire Rackmount, and really love the way it sounds. I don’t, however, love the weight. Has anyone modeled this speaker with a neo magnet? I’d love to lighten the load a little.
Don Mogle

Speaker

Post by Don Mogle »

Eminence TT-12

Travis Toy designed this speaker from scratch with Eminence engineers. He was partial to the sound quality of the Peavey 1201 12" speakers and used that as the starting point for the design of the TT-12.

Peavey literature states that the 1203 is similar to the 1201, but has more cone travel for some extra low end. Check out the literature by doing a Google search. Maybe you already have.

I also have an Eminence TC Furlong spec neo that may get you into this 1203 sound territory. However, I've not done an actual test nor have I compared the specs on it to see.

Some people like the sound of the Eminence Deltalite 2512 II. I have on that's very nice. Look at the specs to see if this speaker has a similar response curve to the 1203.

Finally, the best thing to use are your ears as specs don't necessarily equate to what YOU are hearing...and like.

Hope this helps.

Don