Ball park value on an Original LeGrand?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Davie Holland

Ball park value on an Original LeGrand?

Post by Davie Holland »

Hey. I would like to ask the ball park on an original LeGrand.
The history of the guitar in question is this. (So I am told)....
When Emmons launched the new guitar they gave 2 guitars to the plyersayers with each of the top acts of the time. One guitar was in storage at the opry the other was used on tour.
Barbara Mandrel was a top name and Her steely was Mike Jones and the case has the tour details stencilled on the box along with the tour info.
Mike has also signed the enderside of the guitar
...the guitar is a Black D10 fully loaded.
MSA Millenium M3 S10, Telonics Pre 1000, Telonics VP100A, 2 x Telonics 15" Custom Cabs, IMG Stageline STA500D amp
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

If you can share some photos, we might be able to give a better guess.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Davie Holland

Post by Davie Holland »

As soon as it arrives on the 19th I will post pics and serial. Really appreciate all the help I can get.

Davie
MSA Millenium M3 S10, Telonics Pre 1000, Telonics VP100A, 2 x Telonics 15" Custom Cabs, IMG Stageline STA500D amp
Davie Holland

Post by Davie Holland »

Gone
Last edited by Davie Holland on 22 Oct 2023 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

she's a beauty! you don't see the lacquer Legrandes very often. how many knee levers? any pics of the underside?

I'd personally put the value around 5k but the market seems pretty sluggish at the moment.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Davie Holland

Post by Davie Holland »

Gone
Last edited by Davie Holland on 22 Oct 2023 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Baucum

Re: Ball park value on an Original LeGrand?

Post by Lee Baucum »

Davie Holland wrote:Hey. I would like to ask the ball park on an original LeGrand.
The history of the guitar in question is this. (So I am told)....
When Emmons launched the new guitar they gave 2 guitars to the plyersayers with each of the top acts of the time. One guitar was in storage at the opry the other was used on tour.
Barbara Mandrel was a top name and Her steely was Mike Jones and the case has the tour details stencilled on the box along with the tour info.
Mike has also signed the enderside of the guitar
...the guitar is a Black D10 fully loaded.
I don't believe I have ever seen such a beautiful "Black D10"!

:lol:

~Lee
Davie Holland

Post by Davie Holland »

~I was only going on what I was told...lol.. it is a really beautiful shade of black for sure.. :D :D
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

looks like 10 levers... fully loaded indeed!
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

I think someone may have spun a tall tale re: the guitar's history, but it's definitely a beauty regardless, and just about as loaded as physically possible. $4500-$5k seems reasonable.

The serial # 452 L would put it a couple of years into the LL production run. This guitar has the normal length key head. The early LLs had a short key head (aka "SKH") to fit onto the shorter PP length bodies. I've seen at least one example of a very early LL that sold here on the forum within the past few years, serial # 011 L, a similar blond lacquer guitar but with narrow cast PP pedals and short keyhead.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Here is that other for sale ad for the early LL: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=352040. Notice that the sides of the cut tail necks don't extend all the way to the end of the longer LeGrande changer blocks, they're probably just a normal PP necks. You can also see the difference between your guitar's key head and the earlier SKH
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon