Anybody know the E9 copedent used on the Night Life album?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nick Krol

Anybody know the E9 copedent used on the Night Life album?

Post by Nick Krol »

I'm going through "Wild Side of Life" and "Sittin and Thinkin" trying to work out the parts. Was Buddy using just the pedals or were there levers involved too? Was he still playing the Bigsby or was it a Sho Bud by that point?

Whatever it is I love the tone
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

No Bigsby, that was 1950's gear. "Night Life" was recorded in 1963, so that was definitely his Sho~Bud period. I'd guess his copedant was just A,B,& C with the E-lowers. Most pro guitars of that period had maybe one lever on E9th and one on C6th.

"Hooked On Phonics" and "Hooked On Knee Levers" hadn't come along, yet. :lol:
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Donny Hinson wrote:No Bigsby, that was 1950's gear. "Night Life" was recorded in 1963, so that was definitely his Sho~Bud period. I'd guess his copedant was just A,B,& C with the E-lowers. Most pro guitars of that period had maybe one lever on E9th and one on C6th.

:lol:
Donny
I'd be skeptical if there were two levers on that guitar. In those days, pedal 9 generally lowered the C-B on C6 s.3.

And as you well remember, there was a whole lot of reverse and forward slanting done on s.8 (or s.6 if on an 8-string guitar) in those days. Buddy's first "chromatic" strings were on E9 s.9 and s.10.

The single knee lever most commonly lowered s.2 Eb-D and s.8 E-Eb after the position of the diatonic strings were moved to s.1 and s.2 from Buddy's original s.9/s.10 placement after the recording of "You Took Her Off My Hands" (a la the much later Maverick and Crossover).

I'd refer to Harry or David Jackson, or Ron Elliott to correct me on this if I'm mistaken.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?