Quilter Toneblock 202 Issue

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Evan Pachal

Quilter Toneblock 202 Issue

Post by Evan Pachal »

I'm wondering if any of you TB 202 users has experienced this problem I'm having?

Quilter ToneBlock 202 Signal Out to DI to Front of House. Started getting break up in my in ear monitors. Out the front, the sound is fine. Checked the overall gain on my Steel channel, that's not it! I use a Steel Dream and Goodrich Bloomer for effects... Cables aren't the problem. Haven't tried taking out the Steel Dream from the chain or the Bloomer, maybe one of those is the culprit??? Don't believe the DI was the problem either... Maybe the Quilter isn't the problem either... Have to work back and go one by one ie: guitar straight to Quilter, then keep adding back in the effects...

Any other suggestions from you folks would be appreciated!
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Obviously you need to finish your process of elimination tour. But let me note that if that yields the conclusion that there is a problem with the amp, Quilter's tech support is outstanding. They seem quick to recognize and acknowledge known issues and their reputation for quick turnaround on repairs is first rate.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Try the batteries in your in ears or the volume going to them.
2013 Williams D-10, 2019 Williams D-10, 1970 Fender Twin, Evans SE200, Fender Tonemaster Twin, Hilton pedal, Jagwire Strings.
Evan Pachal

Quilter Toneblock 202

Post by Evan Pachal »

Hello Again!
I messaged Pat Quilter about this issue I was having and I received the following reply

The Sig Out is at full line level, and is Pre Master (fixed output level), so be sure the console mic trim is turned down far enough to accept a line level signal without clipping.  Some consoles may not be able to accept a line level signal into a mic input without clipping, in which case it should go to the Line Input on that channel.  In theory you should not need the DI box, so it's worth omitting one time to confirm that it is not the problem. (If you get hum, then you need the DI box, but the Sig Out is a balanced line and should work OK into a balanced input). 
It's also possible you are getting normal preamp overdrive clipping due to excessive Gain setting. This can quickly be confirmed by connecting headphones, or a speaker, at a moderate Master volume, and listening to the signal at the same settings that produce breakup in your in-ear monitors. If you hear breakup, reduce Gain and make up the volume on the console. If you don't hear breakup, the signal is being clipped someplace later in the signal chain which will need to be tracked down. 
Best regards
Pat Quilter

I very much appreciate the quick detailed reply from Pat @ Quilter...

Just passing this on to other Quilter users that might happen to experience the same issue...

I'm going to eliminate the D.I and go from there to see if the problem goes away...