Best vehicle

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian Henry

Best vehicle

Post by Brian Henry »

What’s a good vehicle to carry a pedal steel without dismantling it?
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

There is none. Always dismantle it.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Scott Denniston

Post by Scott Denniston »

Shank's poney :lol:
Scott Denniston

Post by Scott Denniston »

No seriously, there were posts in the past about guys securing their steel in back of different cars. It seems tempting but I wouldn't. It's only 5 minutes to set it up and a lot safer that way.
Jerry Horch

Cars

Post by Jerry Horch »

A Suburban
Franklin D10 /Walker Sterio Steel JBL's /DigiTech Quad4/ Korg Toneworks/ Dobro DM 1000 / Santa Cruz Guitar VA
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

The steel player I bought my first steel guitar from, Hauled his guitar assembled sitting in the back of his van.

I have fitted some vehicles and 3 guitars to travel short distances for jam sessions, practice, and gigs. At one time 2 miles to a jam session.

When I started gigging a steel guitar, I had a F-150 pickup with a topper, I placed a 2X4 across the bed inside the topper from side to side, 2 large C clamps held it to the bed. Bungy chorded guitar to 2X4 no problems.

Had a PT Cruiser, Just set guitar behind back seat, Set amp and seat under the guitar, Shut the hatch lid and the guitar would only move about 1 inch in any direction. Always joked, The engineer who designed the PT Cruiser had a night job gigging a MSA S10.

I now have a Rav4 I removed the rollup cargo cover from behind the back seats, Put crutch rubber ends on a rachet load bar. Fit the load bar in the mount holes for the cargo cover, Rachet snug, Cover with throw rugs. Guitar sits tight against the rugs and Bungy chords hold guitar tight against bar. Amp and seat set in back seat.

My first gig steel was a MSA S10 Classic. Built very heavy and strong, I now gig a GFI S12 so far no problems, Lot lighter guitar. I have built covers to protect both guitar's body. If I am traveling more than about 20 miles I put the guitar in its case.
Here is a picture of the cover I built for the MSA, When it took a ride to a gig with me.

The cover has 8 layers of quilt filler and a crushed velvet lining.
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

I still wouldn't transport it set up; Lots of stuff to get banged around, like the legs, both in the vehicle and bringing it to and from the vehicle.

Me? I take 5 minutes and put it in its case.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I heard tell of a Zumsteel that got trashed at the Medora Musical in ND.

The venue is an amphitheater in the Badlands and the terrain is harsh. If I'm correct (I did the show for 13 years but this was another player), the weather dictated that the band be moved downtown for an impromptu show under cover.

Two miles on that rutted backstage access road and the poor Zum had internal injuries.
==========================

Many years ago back in the Old Country, I'd keep my ZB set-up on the back seat of my car. It was a sedan (see below) so I had to unscrew the two back legs, then lean the steel back against the rear seat-squab. I'd cover it with a blanket. I can't believe I did that now!!! Anything could have happened.

Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

I've seen steels carried set up, but I can't imagine that being convenient for any distance greater than a few yards at most. It's true that a steel case (especially with most doublenecks) loaded with guitar, legs, rods, and rack can be a heavy proposition, but that's what split cases and handcarts are made to address. I've been very satisfied with my Rock'n'Roller R8.

As to transport vehicles, it would seem that the ideal would be something not offered in many decades- the "business coupe".No back seat and a trunk big enough to live in! ;-)
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Trying to transport a top-heavy steel upright just doesn't seem like a very good idea for all the reasons mentioned. It seems like the safest way to transport a set-up steel would be to place the open case in the vehicle and put the steel in legs up, then just bungie the legs to something secure for the ride.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Once the steel's upside down in the case, another minute or two would see it totally packed up and secure. Surely our lives aren't that short! :)
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

If you put casters on the bottom of the PSG legs you can wheel it around where ever. Then just wrap a chain to it and tow it behind your car to gigs Beverly hillbillies style. It will definitly get you the maximum amount of attention.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I haven’t had my steel in it’s case since day I got it. First, I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I have blanket in back and I put steel in feet first with pedal bar down with legs resting against back seat. It’s no going anywhere.
Second, taking steel apart everytime you go out is a lot more wear and tear on one than way I carry. I’ve been carrying mine this way ever since I’ve been playing and never got one scratch or had any trouble with my steel.
When I had my extended cab truck, I just set it up behind passenger seat. Was plenty room. Set my amp and seat behind driver side.
Third, I can be set up in five minutes while y’all still looking at pedal rod numbers.
Only drawback to my Jeep is I have to put amp and seat in back seat but I play a Nashville 112 so really not a problem.😊
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Haven’t given this much thought, but I agree with Henry. I would think setting up and tearing down is much harder on a steel guitar than transporting it set up. Our Subaru Forester has plenty of room, and hardware for securing bungee cords. I’m going to check out this idea.

Of course, there is also the issue of having to carry the 25- or 40-pound bulky awkward contraption from the car to the stage, wherever that is. A lot of bad things could happen along that journey.

I imagine being able to transport a D-10 or U-12 with 8 or 9 pedals all set up would be preferable to breaking it down and hauling it cased up every gig, especially on double-header days, if you could do it safely.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Like Fred says, it's not so much the journey as what awaits you at the other end. I can't think of a single gig where I could have carried a naked guitar safely from the car to the stage.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Ian Rae wrote:Like Fred says, it's not so much the journey as what awaits you at the other end. I can't think of a single gig where I could have carried a naked guitar safely from the car to the stage.
You’re just not carrying it right then. My guitar does have a scratch on it and only time was in case is day I got it. Lol
Henry Matthews

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

Ian Rae wrote:Once the steel's upside down in the case, another minute or two would see it totally packed up and secure. Surely our lives aren't that short! :)
I don't think this about saving time. The case often doubles the weight of the guitar. Even using split cases, my steel in the case is my heaviest piece of gear.

I've always been a stickler (and still am) about storing and transporting all instruments in their cases. One evening after a gig, Jerry Fessenden came over while I was dismantling my steel, and mentioned that he just carried his assembled in his car. I think I replied something to the effect that he was in a better position to fix any damage. But as of late, by back is requesting that I revisit this issue.
1980 MSA Vintage XL S-10, 1975 Session 400
1972 Dobro model 66s
Derby SD-10
Tom McDonough
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I agree Tommy, I really don’t carry mine that way to save time as I’m always at a gig early and have plenty time but I do it because as a whole, it makes it so much easier in all aspects, weight and trouble of putting it together. I don’t know how my Magnum feels in its case because been so long since it was but I do know how my push pull feels and at 79 years old, it’s almost impossible to carry any distance. Then those will say get a dolly. I’ve got one it it’s just another piece of equipment I have to tend to. Maybe I’m getting lazy.
Henry Matthews

Mitchell Smithey

Post by Mitchell Smithey »

I drive a Subaru Ascent. I lay down the third row seats and put down a couple of moving blankets in the cargo area. I can lay my guitar down on its front side and take the rear legs off. Still plenty of room for the rest of my kit.
I have a nice double padded Studio Slips on the guitar as well.
You have to be careful not to hit things with the legs when moving it. That can damage the leg sockets!
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Henry, you drive in warmer climes than me. Wet roads or in a snowstorm... Being rear ended would be my fear. I'd worry a fender bender end up destroying the guitar. If it is in the case, it is a lot less likely to get damaged in winter weather.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Dave Stagner

Post by Dave Stagner »

Bill McCloskey wrote:Henry, you drive in warmer climes than me. Wet roads or in a snowstorm... Being rear ended would be my fear. I'd worry a fender bender end up destroying the guitar. If it is in the case, it is a lot less likely to get damaged in winter weather.
A luthier once made me promise to always carry guitars in the back seat of my Subaru, rather than the trunk/hatch, because of rear-endings.

As far as carrying a fully set up pedal steel, I’m less concerned about it getting damaged in an accident, but more concerned about it flying around loose in the passenger compartment in the case of a bad accident.
I don’t believe in pixie dust, but I believe in magic.

1967 ZB D-10
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

When a steel player is in a car wreck of any type, Our equipment becomes heavy flying objects. A 50-85lb steel in case, 40lb Seat and 25-??lb Amp. are dangerous to itself and occupants of the vehicle.

Years ago I helped a player repair his steel case. Coming home late from a gig he fell asleep, Left the road. His steel was in the back of His van. The steel was laying in case ends to front and back of van. His Sho-Bud tore the end out of the case. And his Sho-Bud came up and hit the back of the engine cowling. Skinned up the end plate and some tuners got tore up. The pedal bar, legs and pedal rods came up in the van also.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

2014 Scion xB. Best gig rig I've ever had.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

It’s going to be a heavy flying object whether it’s in a case or not I don’t think mine would fly anywhere. Its legs are tied down with heaven bungee cords. And I usually don’t gig in snow storms. If it even looks like snow, everything here shuts down.
Henry Matthews

Barry Coker

Post by Barry Coker »

From the House to Car to Gig.

Zum-D-10, Webb 614-E, 65 Pro Reverb, Evans RE200, 69 Gibson Birdland, 89 Telecaster EAD Bad!!