Famous electric guitar players who play PSG

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Stagner

Post by Dave Stagner »

Ron Hogan wrote:Yes, Jerry Garcia. “The world’s foremost Pedal Steel Guitarist “.
Yeah, the world may not know all the great players by name, so they think they one they've heard of is best. On the other hand, "Teach Your Children Well" is probably the most widely-heard pedal steel part in history, and he inspired a lot of players.
I don’t believe in pixie dust, but I believe in magic.

1967 ZB D-10
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:Wanda Vick is another one...Tele Wizard...I reckon she plays everything.

One might be surprised at the number of guitar slingers who can lay down the guitar and smoke me and many others on the steel. The reverse is also true. Lots of times, players pick up an additional instrument where one might be missing in the configuration they are involved, maybe not as much in recent years but pickers do tell stories of such happenings in their experience from past years.
Wanda was part of the band Wild Rose, and in the nineties, played fiddle with the Music City Tonight staff band, which Tommy White was also a part of. With Wild Rose, she played fiddle, banjo, steel, and guitar.
Last edited by Brett Day on 6 Oct 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I'm convinced that Wanda Vick is not from this planet. She is too good at everything she touches. Love her.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

The previously mentioned Milo Deering in fact plays all guitars, steel, mando, and fiddle, all with mind boggling expertise. IIRC, in our last conversation he allowed as he was taking up cello.

He isn't as much of a household word as are the names of the guitar stars listed above, but I'd venture to say Milo has been heard, nationally, more times than most rock guitar gods. He's the fiddle and guitarist on the Motel 6 "we'll keep the light on for you" with Tom Bodett radio spots. Played for decades thousands of times every night.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

Dave Stagner wrote:
John Larson wrote:Jerry Garcia also played steel on the entirety of the first New Riders of the Purple Sage album.

Mike Mogis of Bright Eyes plays PSG in addition to guitar and a bunch of other instruments. He's played steel on several of the projects he's produced for other artists.
I just listened to the autobiography "Home Before Daylight, by Steve Parish (Jerry's main roadie and JGB road manager), and he said that the main reason Jerry left New Riders of the Purple Sage was to unchain them from the Grateful Dead. As long as he was a member, they'd just be opening for the Grateful Dead, not headlining their own shows. A good decision, because obviously they went on to a long and successful period as a band, and Buddy Cage is one of my favorite players!

(I say this as someone who got a ZB largely because it's what Jerry played...)

Agreed that was really the best result for both parties they ended up with an absolute wizard on pedal steel and weren't tethered to opening for the Dead.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

here's one no one mentioned-Rick Derringer...
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

Steve Howe
Pete Townshend

and Gene Parsons of the Byrds who invented the stringbender with Clarence White. a fine guitarist who also plays drums, banjo, and pedal steel
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

Sid Hudson
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Tim Sergent wrote:Sid Hudson
Most definitively Sid Hudson! (Hey Tim! :) )
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

Hey, Herb! I'm about ready to go bar hopping again scoping out some good pickin'
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

Apparently Joe Perry played PSG on Aerosmith's "Rag Doll"
Sounds like a Lap Steel to me :?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrEC8xGc3ZM
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Ron Hogan wrote:Yes, Jerry Garcia. “The world’s foremost Pedal Steel Guitarist “.
I understand the consternation, and the little dig, but lets face facts.. he had a studio discography that many "real" studio steel players would envy.. Played steel sessions with some very big names back in the day.. Some very good pro[non pro as well] steel players liked his playing.. It was simple, easy to understand, had a tone that many of us liked, and was always musical... Listen to his work on Change Partners by Steve Stills, Oh Mommy by Brewer and Shipley, and his own pedal steel drenched song "The Wheel".. he was not a virtuoso on steel and he knew it, but the guy had first level musical instincts.. He wasn't a great 5 string banjo player either, but how many banjo players can claim to be on an album as popular as well crafted and as influential as Old and In the Way?.. I give him all the credit he;s due... No great session steel player could have made Teach Your Children any better at all...bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

LOL, :lol: A couple of names listed above who may have " played a Pedal Steel" for a brief moment or two, or wiggled their way thru a specialty song are not exactly Pedal Steel players. We are denigrating the Instrument and its value. I know a bunch of chords and a couple of licks on the Mandolin but please do not list me as a Mandolin player along with the likes of Skaggs, Marty, Thile, Bush, Hull etc... I shouldn't be listed in the same book as those players !

Interesting TRUE story about Banana, (Lowell Levinger) I spoke with him a few times over the years, we even traded some music, nice guy ! Jerry Garcia gave him his Fender Pedal Steel and taught him a few licks which he played on a couple album songs and on gigs now and then, but he did NOT consider himself a Pedal Steel player . That Fender Steel was stolen from the equipment Van in NY during a Youngbloods tour and never replaced, he never acquired another one. Well , not up to the time we spoke. I did see the Youngbloods one time at a show, the PS was set up but he never played it, go figure.

I cook Steaks on the grill but clearly I am not a Chef ! :lol:

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Sid Hudson. Buddy used him on guitar a bunch and he played steel with a flatpack.
I was at Rick Derringer's house, in NYC in 1981 and he sold me his Sho~Bud Pro II for $900. It went to Mike Cass and onto someone else.
Probably all the Hellecastsrs play pedal steel.
When I worked for Robert Randolph, he would often play some fine guitar on the bus.
I'm guessing Tommy Emmanuel plays killer steel too.
Bass player, Keith Horne, who played bass for Trisha Yearwood and also plays super Tele, plays pedals..
Here he is playing bass for Waylon on "Clyde":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGgTPfeoC5I
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5