Peavey speakers

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Hopkins

Peavey speakers

Post by Larry Hopkins »

I have a peavey bandit 65 ,with 12” ,8 ohm speaker. If I disconnect the 12” speaker and hook up to 4ohm 15” black widow cabinet. Will it mess the amp up. Being 4 ohm :?:
Larry
,peavey renown 115,Vegas 400, Peavey envoy, peavy bandit 65 head,baby bloomer
2 -Nashville 400, Emmons SD-10 legrande lll ,Emmons Black Rock ,sho-bud pac a seat,,;
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

https://assets.peavey.com/literature/ma ... 300095.pdf
Hey Larry, here's the manual for the Bandit 65. Read down the page to specs and operation. I'm certainly no expert here, but it looks like the amp will tolerate a 4 ohm speaker load. I don't quite understand the power data statement, but I defer to the folks at Peavey.
Larry Hopkins

Peavey speakers

Post by Larry Hopkins »

Thanks Jerry ,I will check it out
Larry
,peavey renown 115,Vegas 400, Peavey envoy, peavy bandit 65 head,baby bloomer
2 -Nashville 400, Emmons SD-10 legrande lll ,Emmons Black Rock ,sho-bud pac a seat,,;
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:…I'm certainly no expert here, but it looks like the amp will tolerate a 4 ohm speaker load. I don't quite understand the power data statement, but I defer to the folks at Peavey.
The amp is designed for maximum electrical output at 8 ohms. When operating at a higher or lower output impedance, the output power is reduced because the mismatch causes a loss of efficiency in the output stage. The good news is that when the total speaker radiating area is increased by using a larger speaker, or adding another speaker, the effective audio output usually offsets the reduced electrical wattage reduction of the power amp.

(This is the “voodoo” of electrical watts vs. actual audio watts.)